Dahlia going dormant

Greensburg, PA

I had a small dahlia (Fiesta series) that I bought in a flat go dormant after transplanting into a larger pot. I went to remove what I thought was a dead plant and found that there was a nice, but small, tuber present, about 1" by 3". Should I leave the tuber planted and hope for it to regrow or dig and store?

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 10a)

I would leave it. You'll probably get new growth from it and since it's a small variety, you'll most likely get blooms. That's my vote!
Good luck.

Greensburg, PA

Thanks, I did leave it, but its not a Fiesta but a Figero. Go figero how I messed up the name.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Plant people do it often enough. I made labels for dahlias before they arrived and one I made says Pinwheel, not Windmill, as it should.

Let us know when your dahlia gives another sprout: it should.

(I previewed this and it still looks more like a Pinwheel than a Windmill to me!)

Thumbnail by pirl
Greensburg, PA

Still waiting to see anything. I should note here that the plants I bought were all forced into blooming. They looked nice at the time and the flowers were very helpful in choosing what I wanted. However, every single plant stopped blooming and growing after I got them. It's now been more than a month and the plants are only now starting to grow again. This will likely be the last time I buy a blooming dahlia in a flat as I think the forcing of them to bloom really damages the growth and blooming seasons the year they are forced like this. Hopefully they will all make tubers for the fall and next year will do better.

OMG pirl, that is so cute! Is that considered an O, if so-finally an O I like! I get the O's and NXs, etc. confused. But you're right, I just want to blow on it's side and watch it twirl!

Krowten - that should not have happened. I can understand they'd finish blooming and might have somewhat of a delay in flowering again but not to the point of appearing dead. I'd be tempted to notify the place where you bought them but many places just don't care enough to take note of it.

I've bought them in bloom before and they continued to bloom, non-stop, until frost.

Thanks, Carrie! I thought it was adorable. Give me a hint: what's an O and what's an NX?

Oh all those silly classifications, O=Orchid, N=Novelty Open, NX=Novelty Fully Double. Ech-I don't know what most of them mean, other than the good old fashioned FD, ID, SC, etc.
Trying to find it's classification and I can't...

Swan Island has it: http://www.dahlias.com/dahliaclassification.aspx

The only one I can spot that they don't show is Novelty and I think that must be what they call Windmill/Pinwheel.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.