Big Box clearance prices

Camp Hill, PA

I was at Lowes today with my father getting paint for his tomato cages, and I saw a sign that flowering trees were 75% off.

Selection was scant, but I got an 8 foot 'Forrest Pansy' Redbud (a tree I've been wanting for some time) for only $12.50!!! I can't even buy a decent perrenial at my favorite nursery for 12.50.

So If you need a tree for your yard, now is the time! at those prices, they wont last long!

Mark

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Quoting:
...they wont last long!

Ah, words of wisdom - as relates to Big Box plant purchases, especially late season. A couple more in that vein:

Caveat emptor

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I have bought tons of stuff on the clearance rack at Lowe's and they have did well for me, daylilies, hostas and many many trees. They have a one year guarantee even for clearance, at least here they do. I have had a few things not make it, but I have had things bought from pricey nurseries that didn't make it. Our local nursery carries the same brand of plants that Lowes does, sometimes they put their own tags on them or re pot them. But they are from the same place originally.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I think the one year guarantee applies regardless of whether they're regular price or on sale. So as long as you're the sort of person who remembers to keep receipts (I'm not! LOL) then it's definitely worth snagging a few bargains. On trees especially though take care with the roots when planting--things that are on clearance have probably been sitting in their pots for too long and are going to have all kinds of encircling roots, etc.

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I just have a large yellow manilla envelope in a drawer in my office. I throw all my plant reciepts in there. Whalla! Never lose them that way, all in one place, about once a year clean it out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.