Trellis question

Medina, OH

Am about a year into my clem-craziness. Anyone able to give me suggestions on trellis options? Thanx! Susan

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

To me you can do anything you want. It weill need to have things for the Clem to attach to. I have to wrap string around mine from the bottom up so the clem has a way to climb.

Thumbnail by marie_kap
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Very lovely trellis, Marie.

Clem's can be grown on stumps, fences, tuteurs, obelisks, old iron gates, strong mesh strung between trees to hide a view you don't want, shrubs, trellises (wood or metal), pergolas, and on cattle fence very loosely placed around trees.

Here's Omoshiro on a stump.

Thumbnail by pirl
Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

I have lots of brush and branches. I use larger ones, or a few together, to create a natural support. It looks great ans is free! I add newer stronger branches each year it the old ones are getting brittle or break.

I also have an old iron headboard with a clem in the back of one of my gardens.

I have some unknown shrub I prune back every year and a clem planted under it. The vine fills the shrub, so it looks like a little cematis tree..

They are great ideas.

I got a piece of cast iron scroll work from a friend who had no use for it...until she saw what I did with it!

Thumbnail by pirl

Looking at your picture Southold, I saw a chunk of tree in the woods that was cut up years ago. Now it is hollow inside. I am going to get hubby to bring it over so I plant something in it.

Even next to it will do fine. You may want to drive a rebar stake (or three of them) to keep the chunk stable.

good idea.. thanks

Check out this article since you wanted ideas on trellises:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2879/

You wouldn't have to go this this extreme but probably with two tall rebar stakes and a piece of the cattle fencing you could create your own trellis for a lot less than store bought.

Medina, OH

Thanks for all of your suggestions. Think I shall scavenge around in the woods for trellis treasures. S.

Lothair, MT(Zone 4a)

I love cattle panels. They are made of a welded wire about the size of a pencil, roughly 4' tall and 14' long. They will bend into an arch (which is how I made my hoop house) and that would make a sweet spot to place a bench. Also they can be cut into smaller shapes or lengths.
We just bought 10 panels (they usually cost about $22 each but we got a mega discount bc we were willing to take some bent ones...SCORE!). I am planning on mounting them in several different ways. Hope to have some pics to share soon. I am actually planning to paint them black so they will be like faux wrought iron grillwork.

Jennie - there was a thread on it a few years ago and, as I recall, there were many excellent ideas on it. Maybe a search would find it.

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't know if this is the one you were thinking of.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/684265/

Yes! That is the one. I love all the creations he made!

Lothair, MT(Zone 4a)

Thanks Pirl and Banana. Shoot me a dmail pirl and let me know how things are going for u!
Have a great summer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.