When to Replant Dwarf Iris

Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

I don't know if this is a common question, but I'm hoping someone can help. I had to dig up my dwarf iris as they had multiplied so often that they were coming up in and between other plants. The blooms come quite early, so that isn't a problem, but when the foliage starts reaching it's 12" height and stays that way for quite a while, the bulbs had to be moved. What I need to know is whether the bulbs need to be replanted immediately, or should they be stored and replanted in autumn, or??? Any help would be appreciated. (PS - these are some of the first flowers I ever planted and really don't want to lose them. I don't mind sharing some with neighbors, but hope I haven't don't something to eliminate them altogether). HELP - Sue

Raleigh, NC

depends on what you mean by "dwarf" irises. If they are miniature dwarf or standard dwarf BEARDED irises, then dig them up and divide them any time six weeks after blooming until around early August where you are. When you dig and divide them, let them sit where they can get air but not sun. I've got a 2 story deck with a patio underneath. I put old window screens on saw horses under the deck and let them rest until the cuts I make are dry. then I store them under a tree where they get plenty of air flow.

They can safely stay out of the ground about 3 weeks. After that they can still wait, but risk some loss and possible stunted growth. They do well with temporary potting if the soil used is light and you don't crowd them. They should be back in the ground 30 days before 1st frost.

BUT bearded irises don't have bulbs! They have rhizomes which are planted at the surface, such that their rhizome top can breathe, get just a bit of air. The plant is most dormant in summer in terms of making increases, but their foliage is not and remains green and growing until frost. (it may look its worst in the summer heat, though) From smallest dwarf to tallest tall bearded, all bearded iris rhizomes look similar and are planted the same way.

If you have BULBOUS irises, or small species irises, their culture is different. Someone else needs to answer, as I've never planted them! I have some in a pot, and their foliage did act like a spring bulb, yellowing and decaying.

Raleigh, NC

well, rereading this, I think I may have answered one thing about bulbous irises: I was given them in a pot, and thanks to my illness, they survived in the pot for 1 year. Am guessing if you have bulbous irises you can save them by potting them up. The soil used was a nice light soil, something like a bagged miracle gro potting soil with extra peat moss in there.

Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi Bonnon - these definitely do not have rhizomes. Their bulbs look like mini-daffodils, or mini-tulips, etc. I pulled them now because if the foliage disappears I wouldn't know where to look for them. There isn't too much to divide as most bulbs are singles, but I'm hoping I can just put them in boxes or maybe baskets, etc., with potting soil around them until Sept/Oct, and then plant them in their new permanent homes. Does that sound like it might work?

Raleigh, NC

then they are bublous, something like recticulatas or dutch iris - see if you can google for that culture. I think that's what I got in a RU trade, that's what's potted up.

I checked on the AIS website. Although dutch irises are irises, the Dutch handle their registrations, so AIS doesn't really list much about their culture, except for two.

See if you can change your Title line on this post and ask about Dutch iris or reticulata culture. Or ask avmoran, if you can get her. She's busy right now. I think she grows them.

Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

Thanks bonjon - will try your suggestions (change title and find avmoran) Sue

Raleigh, NC

you're welcome!

Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

Just sent a message to avmoran, so will let you know what, if anything I find out. Maybe it will help others along the way too. Sue

Sheboygan, WI(Zone 5b)

Hi bonjon - got a reply from avmoran and it answered all my questions. Thanks for your help. Sue

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.