Various Bean Varieties

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I've been trying new bean varieties the past few years and was wondering if others were also interested in growing beans. What varieties do you think are flavorful and grow well in your area. I'm growing Kentucky Wonder brown seeded, Blue Lake runners, McCasalans, butter peas, Dragon's Tongue, Rattlesnake, and Purple Hull. The last two are new in my garden. The Rattlesnake beans look like they will be very prolific. Anyone growing beans?

I love beans! We grew loads of rattlesnake last year on a long tee-pee for a fence when we had none. They were tasty and productive. I always grow Kentucky Wonder, I did not care for McCasalans the year I tried them - they were not productive for me that year. I always have yard long beans, purple podded pole beans, some sort of lima bean (I am trying christmas but something keeps stealing the bean seeds!!!), a yellow "mushroom bean" a very curved yellow Italian bean, blackeyed peas are in now...

I will end up planting more southern peas for drying later in the summer and once the cukes are done I will put more climbing beans on those supports. I want to have enough to freeze or can. I will say yard long beans do not freeze well. I do not know about canning. I freeze the yard longs anyways - they can get mushy but I put them mostly in soup or I whir them in the food processor to make a "cream" of bean soup and let their mushy habit become useful. They are so tasty and beany I love them (and so productive).

I am not growing bush beans right now but probably will when summer squash is done.

Wow, you grow a lot of beans too, Glynis. Do you grow the brown seeded Kentucky Wonder poles? I read before I grew them that they had a rich, earthy flavor and was not sure what that meant. I do now and they do. They are great canned because the flavor holds up well (and since no canned bean can match the texture of fresh). McCasalans are usually very prolific so if you had a problem, try them again. They are not good for light cooking and need that old fashioned long simmer. I tried yard longs two years ago and it was a disaster. I should try again. Something is rearranging my Christmas beans in the garden too. I've planted them three times. The last time I leaned fence over the seed row. What is the purple podded bean that you are growing?

The Dragons Tongue did not say they are bush. I'm peeved about that because I've tried to minimize my bend over time in the garden. lol I've got the Purple Hulls coming up on the snow peas which are starting to decline. Cukes are starting to come in which means it's time to plant more. By the time the first, big round of cukes is shot the late ones will be coming in. Just enough for salads and fresh pickles. I'm nauseous at the thought of any more canning by Fall. Thanks for sharing.
Laurel

I love beans and have grown Kentucky Wonder and Bush. I did purchase some Asparagus Yard Long but didn't do them this year. I'm looking for something that will be very slender like the ones you get in restaurants done on the grill. Anyone have suggestions? I love beans! I need something that will be very prolific as I do mine in EBs. I stake them, letting them run up a trellis and back down. I'd love any suggestions you might have.
Thanks!
~Susan

Susan, you are looking for haricot vert (pronounced something like arry co vair). Seeds of Change has them. http://www.seedsofchange.com/garden_center/product_details.aspx?item_no=PS16445 I also thought I saw them on the racks at Lowes this past Spring.

Kentucky Wonder comes as a brown seeded or white seeded variety. I'd not seen the brown seeded ones until two years ago at a seed and feed here in N. GA. I tried to grow yard longs from a seed exchange a few years ago. It was our last drought summer. The plants never took off.

Thanks Laurel, for this great info. I have seen this seed company so will start on a search for them. If I can't find them locally, I'll add them to my list when I order seeds for next year. :-)
edited for typo!

This message was edited Jun 19, 2010 11:49 PM

I've grown white and brown seed Kentuckies, whatever I can get my hands on. I think this year they are white. I have never had any problem with yard longs, they are so disease resistant for me and prolific. My hubby asked me what "harry covert" beans were just the other day. I'd though they would be harder to grow here than they are. I thought they liked prolonged cooler weather but apparently I was wrong.
My favorite bean is the Scarlet Runner which we can't grow here! I have tried and it gets too warm before I can get beans from them. They have that earthy, beany flavor that I adore. I love a true bean taste, but I like green bush beans too. In the winter I can eat them every single day
Last year I tried Tepary beans from Seeds/Search - someone who visited our church garden had mentioned they would be nice to add. Well, I don't know what gives but they HATED my garden. Very few pods, not of good quality. I was frustrated!

Maybe we can swap beans at the RU. I used to grow scarlet runners here at Maypop. I thought they were more decorative than flavorful. May need to revisit those too. Wish Farmerdill would check in to advise us. He's grown everything and then some.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Hello,
My name is Sarge In Tenn. the Case Knife Green Bean Is an Old Time Favorite

Here is a shot of mine .

Sarge

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates

Hello and thanks for sharing info about Case Knife. Looking forward to checking it out. Are all those rows Case Knife? Your garden is huge! Do you farmer's market or truck garden these beans? Seems I keep seeing this picture, or a similar one, on various forums. You must be very proud of those beans.
Laurel

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

MaypopLaurel,

That is mine and 4 others that work this plot is 80 X 150 and is a Field Garden that is used for supplying a Road Side Market and helping our community elders that cannot put their own Gardens out and ones in need . many come to us and help out and gather veggies some still work in the garden (although not required) but most chatt about how they did it back when LOL .

Sarge

Here is the maters and Squash

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates

We have something in common then. We deliver part of our harvests to several community pantrys and homeless shelters in Atlanta. We have a small kitchen garden, about a quarter acre, but because I city gardened for many years, it is like a square foot garden. Lots crammed into a little space.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

i may have talked to you before i am haveing a dashavu moment lol some one was telling me about doing a square foot garden some where in GA

Sarge

Not I. I try not to be part of anyone's dashavu moments. Maybe a deja vu moment here and there though. :>) I'm off to bath, bed and beyond. Busy week. 'Nite.
Laurel

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

sorry i could not spell it and MS Word would not help me with it .

Sarge

I rather liked your creative spelling. I make my share of mistakes. Famous for subbing "your" when I mean "you're". Please forgive. Here's a shot of my garden. It will be more and more challenging to weave through coming weeks.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

MaypopLaurel,

I created my own chat thread in the parking lot foume called "The Sarge's Front Porch" it is filled with the "Southren Lingo" as some call it but it is how most folks talk around here .

i like your Garden it shows an inovative way to grow things in a small space and still grow what you want as the plants grow stronger and adapt to the growth situation you could Name them under your own Type due to the breading they have been given saveing the seed of onlythe biggest and healthest plants .

Many folks are looking for veggies to grow vertitacly and for seeds that are or came from plants that were growen that way ... Its in the genetics So they say
Something to keep in mind.

Sarge

I've been growing food and saving seed for forty years. This includes selective breeding. We also trial new varieties for other growers who are looking to test in our area. I'm currently participating in a trial grow out, and recommended several others on this forum, to dehybridize a specific hybrid tomato. One of the best features of DG, IMO, is the opportunity to share saved seed among friends here.

I'll be on the road for a bit and will probably not be online. Tap atcha' when I get back everyone and stay cool.
Laurel

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

Laurel,

ok talk at ya later

Sarge

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.