Is this Watermelon???

Parkersburg, WV

I bought this as Watermelon the other day from Wally World and it is a beautiful plant. My wife keeps saying it looks like old fashioned lace doily. We just love the veining of the leaves. I noticed it looks different from what other peoples Watermelon. I thought maybe it was marked wrong but there were alot of pots of it at WW and they all looked the same.

Just wondering,

taj

Thumbnail by taj12
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

It could be Watermelon.Keep it in the sun for a week.The colors change depending on where its been. Yours looks like it has had shade for awhile.

Parkersburg, WV

Thanks ge.

taj

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Here is watermelon in sun. Cant believe the change?
Its the dark red at the left

This message was edited Jun 12, 2010 8:34 AM

Thumbnail by ge1836
Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

GE just beautiful. what is that little one on the bottom. I have it but don't know the name.?
helene

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

If you are reffing to the yellow leaf with red spatters.Thats Glory a favorite of mine. Its so durable.

The one in the bottom left corner might be Strawberry Drop

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I used to get Strawberry drop and Trailing Queen confused but the left trailer in the post picture is Swiss Sunshine.Its just gorgeous by August.

Watermelon is what you have in the first picture taj.
I have seen 3 similar coleus and they are Lavender Lace, Miacanopy, and Watermelon. The Lavender Lace looks like the last two, except it has lavender/purple where the other two have a watermelon color. In my opinion Miacanopy and Watermelon are the same plant. I have some of each I will take pictures of in the morning.
ge, I actually don't see any of the 3 in your picture. I think the one you are referring to is Florida Solar Sun. I have seen that plant have every leaf have different pattering colors. (I have a tray of it and will send you some if you like.)

Several years back I ordered "Dark Star", it came and it was so neat.
I kept referring back to the picture I ordered from. It just didn't look the same.
I had even entered it into the Plant files. It wasn't Dark Star, it was Inky fingers! I had to contact someone to get that fixed and was so embarrassed.
CC

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love the Inky series. I have Inky Toes and love it.
Here is a pic of Watermelon and Glory together from last year.
I can assure everyone this is Watermelon as I bought it from RosyDawn.It is in all day sun and gets very red and huge. The cuttings from last year are what I show in the pix. Even the one in shade is red but darker at this time.
I love it with Glory and Lancelot Mocha.

Thumbnail by ge1836
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

This is Watermelon at various times of year.Mostly August.The first pic is the cutting in mid late fall,it has been in the livingroom for ,maybe a month.
http://picasaweb.google.com/jgentle4/WATERMELONPhases

Parkersburg, WV

I just love Coleus, not only does it come in alot of color and patterns each one changes so much depending on light and time of year they keep me guessing all the time. ge when I bought my Watermelon at WW they were under shade cloth part of greenhouse and it is sitting on my front porch and only gets a few hours of morning sun, I think i like this lace pattern better then the other leaf pattern.Funny thing is I thought I was buying a Coleus that I did not have but now I see I have several Watermelon.lol

taj

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats what I like about it too.I wonder if the generational cuttings have any bareing on how it looks.

Parkersburg, WV

Good question. I wonder if I took really good pics of certain varieties over a few years I could compare pics and note any changes over time. Of course I would need to document sun/shade, and weather averages.huummm!

taj

Thumbnail by taj12
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Too much work I say!!!

I am so sorry that I said yours didn't look like what I call Watermelon ge.
As this is what Coleus Finder says it looks like; http://www.coleusfinder.org/pictures.php which doesn't look like yours or mine.
This is Gebhart's rendition https://p10.secure.hostingprod.com/@www.gebhartgreenhouse.com/ssl/profile/product/catalog.php?spPage=20
At this time Rosy Dawn hasn't a picture.
So what Watermelon is depends entirely on who we got them from or, who you ask.
Please accept my apologies for ruffling your feathers and am just glad you are in love with these beautiful plants.
Just downloaded my SD card and now I can't find them. Will do more later, got to get busy.
CC

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Taj, yes that's watermelon. GE, I don't think so. I think you have Indian Summer. Watermelon never turns gold in winter and the leaf texture is not right. Gebhart's pic is correct.

Here's a good pic of Indian Summer.
http://www.hort.cornell.edu/bglannuals/2008/images/best/BFP-Col-Indian-Summer-Bx1200.jpg

Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.