Native Shrub Id's..

Highland, MD(Zone 7a)

Hi all! I just posted some pictures of some native shrubs in the plant id section. If you have a chance please pop over there and see if you can help me out. They were all basically twigs when I got them.. I had them labeled but the printed labels that were on my tags did not survive the snow! So now I'm ready to start moving them out of the 'holding area' and I don't know what they are! In addition to the ones posted over there I also have all of them posted in my flicker account http://www.flickr.com/photos/ldy_gardenermd/ if you have time I'd be ever so grateful for any identifications you can give me!

Hope you can help and if you do thanks so much!!!

This message was edited Jun 11, 2010 9:23 AM

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

19--maybe a honeysuckle shrub?
13 would have said it looks like privet, but not exactly, and if you bought it as native sure would hope NOT
The rest- I am nowhere near that good!

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

At quick glance, #3 may be Hackberry (Celtis occidentalis) and #13 looks like Black Locust (Robinia pseudoacacia). I'll check back this evening when I have more time and see if I can ID others. Do you have an invoice/reciept of your purchases? A list of possibilities would greatly assist the ID process.

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

#8 is Witch Hazel
Do # 7 or #13 have thorns?
What does the bark on the trunk look like for #6?
Some look like they could be Winterholly, Serviceberry, a few others come to mind that I wouldn't know unless I saw what the berries and seeds look like.
On #13, for Black Locust, there would be a leaflet on the tip end but there isn't one on any so it can't be that one.
I thought so too at first until I took a second look.
deb

Grapevine, TX(Zone 8a)

Deb, did you mean #11 for the witch hazel?

Melfa, VA(Zone 8a)

Big oooops!!! Yep...put down the wrong #. # 11 is the Witch Hazel!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.