What is this thingy?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Anyone know what the heck this is? Is it just some weird clump of moss or is it some kind of nest?
It's about 3-4" across, and is on the underside of an Oak branch.

????
:)
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Sumter, SC

I don't know what they are, but I've noticed many in S Florida. They appear with spanish moss, especially on live oaks.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

A Tilandsia????? I've never seen one up here but it would be cool if that is what it is.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Alice, you're a genius! I believe that's exactly what it is, Tillandsia recurvata probably, based on my search.
I'll have to keep an eye on it to see if it blooms later on. I didn't see our area as one of the places it is known to grow; most sources seem to limit it to only as far north as Georgia. Though I see in plantfiles that it's been noted down your way but not up this far. Hmmmm. I'm thrilled. :)
Thanks!

This message was edited Jun 11, 2010 10:59 AM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Aw shucks, LOL

I am in Jacksonville this week and while I was walking around the yard I noticed several clusters of tilandsias in a ligustrum. Knowing my kids won;t mind, I borrowed a couple to try at home. Hopefully they will put out some of whatever they multiply by (tiny seeds?) and take hold. They were only in one shrub, I checked all the others and could not find anymore.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.