Edgeworthia sun exposure

Sumter, SC

I'm concerned about an edgeworthia I planted about 3 weeks ago. It's in deep to filtered shade most of the day, except around 1:00 pm, when it gets about 45 min of direct sun. It's leaves become very wilted in the sun and remain wilted for hours. Should I go ahead and move it to a shadier spot, or is this wilting normal transplant shock?

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Most likely its protective wilting. My hydrangeas do that as well .. they are mostly in shade but get about an hour of full sun. Once the sun is off them they perk right up.

X

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

I have one edgeworthia facing northwest and it gets plenty of sun - the site stays a little moist and so maybe that helps. Three others facing east and north east. All are doing fine and it is mid 90's and very humid here so these past few days are closer to your climate. I have had edgeworthia droop but only when new/transplanted and so maybe your site is good but the plant is a bit shocked by the new home.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

It's probably transplant shock .. the roots haven't had time to adjust to their new home. I'll usually pot up newly rooted plants and slowly acclimate them to the environment they will eventually be in for about a month. It gives the roots and leaves a chance to acclimate and I rarely get transplant shock when planting stuff in the ground.

Sumter, SC

Thanks! I think I will put it in a large pot and let it acclimate to our summer heat, which I hear is very similar to Borneo during the off season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.