need suggestions for red clematis

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I would like a red clem for full sun.
I seen this one for sale, Cardinal Wyszynski, but couldn't find a pic of it in plant files, only the listing. Does anyone have a pic of it?
any other ideas? Are there any double red ones?

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Lily, I don't have a pic but I bought one a week or so ago. The blooms are more burgundy/maroon than red. I will try to get a pic and send it. You did well to spell it right. LOL

LOL I *didn't* spell it!
I used copy and paste, as I knew that would be a total loss !
Hmm, well I want one that is bright cherry red, any suggestions? I liked that one, because the pic I seen the center was also red. I really would like one that was total red all over, even the center.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

I have seen a pic of one called "Rebecca" that appears to be cherry red but I haven't had any hands-on experience with it. See if Plant Files has it.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Lily,
Here's the pic of my Kardinal Wyszynski (also seen as Wyszinski). As you can see, it's not bright red. But it's sure is pretty!

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

And this is after a day or so in the sun ...

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Appleton, WI

Kermesina
Rouge Cardinal
Westerplate

Just to name a few.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Gravetye Beauty
Madame Julia Correvon, or did someone already say that?

check out clematis on the web http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/index.cfm for photos and info on every clematis

Appleton, WI

You can do a picture search at Clematis on the Web. Just type red into the "tepal" field and see what pops up. Using the search feature at CotW is so fun, but frustrating at the same time. You will surely find varieties you like that aren't available in the US.

I bought this rather unique looking red double clematis a few weeks ago - 'Purpurea Plena Elegans' - http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=580 - its foliage got eaten by varmints so I'm not sure if it'll grow yet.

that one is pretty, but it looks too purple. Does anyone actually have 'Rebecka'? I did see some pics and it does look pretty red?

can you start clems from cuttings very easily?

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Avant-Garde viticella
http://www.silverstarvinery.com/vines.asp?letter=A

Debbie, the owner, says this is as red as it gets. Give her a call and ask about it for your needs.

Kathy

wow that one is pretty, it does look really red. But the center is pretty large and pink, so I think from a distance it would not appear red, but pinker.
I will keep it in mind though, maybe for a different spot some time.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I just planted Allanah. She is allegedly dark red, but I haven't seen her bloom.

http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=2

Pearisburg, VA(Zone 7a)

That is stunning. Please let us know how that turns out. Where did you order this from? What a lovely color.
Kathy

ooo that one is nice. I will write that name down for later.
thank you!

South Lake Tahoe, CA

My Avant Garde....such a beautiful flower

Thumbnail by TPNursery
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Wow, if that color is true that is a RED clematis! That is gorgeous, TP.

Helena, MT(Zone 4b)

I bought Allanah at a local nursery, Shihtzumom.

anyone know of any reds that are double?

Athens, PA

Frilly

I don't have any double reds, however one of my favorites is Madame Julia Correvon...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Ruutel is nice too....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

Ville de Lyon is more a pinky red, but very floriferous....

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

has anyone ordered clems from Bluestone Perennials?

I was thinking of ordering there, but I've never ordered from them before. Do they send good plants?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I have! They came well packaged and the plants were well received. I wasn't expecting too much for the price but I was very happy and they are very good plants.

Athens, PA

I have not ordered clematis from Bluestone, however I have ordered other things from them. I have always been very happy with what I have ordered from them.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

I ordered my "Rebecca" clematis from them. She arrived in great shape and has bloomed once. They are in the Top 5 Watchdog rating I think.

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I just got my red Avant Garde from TPNursery. Nice size , price and doing well. I cant wait to see them bloom next year.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Hey Marie!

Thanks for letting everyone know about my Avant Garde Clematis!
They have very pretty red with pink blooms.
Enjoy them...
:-)

Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

HI Babette, I got everything all planted. So far the Clems are in a pot till I get the new trellis put up. I would rather order from you then a company that I do not know. You have always sent me great plants and bulbs. The lilies that I got last year,were pretty this year.

South Lake Tahoe, CA

Happy that your happy!
I'm creating a very nice centerpiece in my front garden with the Avant Garde Clematis.
Also, placing a few in various areas around the house to liven up the area with color. These will be show stoppers!
enjoy!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.