"Sashay" can just sashay away

Jamaica Plain, MA(Zone 6a)

Just wanted to say I wouldn't bother with this one. It looked nice before the leaves uncurled, as you could see the red backs of the leaves along the edges, but now it's just bland, as are the flowers. It will be leaving my garden, to be replaced by something nicer.

Athens, PA

This one has been a slow starter for me....

Hi Carolyn!
What do you mean - slow grower?

Athens, PA

Sharon

How are you?

It just does not seem to want to grow much. This will be the 3rd season that I have had it and it still is on the puny side.

Carolyn, I'm good, but have been busy with projects (unfortunately not just the garden) and haven't been around here much. How are you?

Maybe yours had a trauma in childhood. I've noticed that heucheras seem to take a long time to recover if they get unhappy in shipping or being uprooted, etc. Mine seems to be growing okay - just planted it last fall- but it's just not an appealing plant - to me at least.

Athens, PA

Busy here as well. Ironically I have been in your 'neck of the woods'. My job has sent me to the Boston area twice in the past 5 weeks. My daughter has recently moved to Jamaica Plain and we stopped in to see her new apartment....

Maybe the poor thing was traumatized - I dont' know. One thing I do know is that if I don't move it soon, the others that are planted nearby are going to take over and it will get lost in the shuffle. If you look kitty corner and to the left of Cancan, you can see poor little Sashay. Hard to believe this is the 3rd summer.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

Poor Sashay should be sent back to the hybridizer with a note to try to do better next time!

Carolyn, your daughter is in JP? You were here twice? Are you coming back again this summer? Please do come visit next time you're here!!! I'll dmail my phone #. I'll send you home with plants!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

It may just need more sun to do its sashaying properly. Mine's in its second or third summer and is thriving -- nearly 2 feet wide and just as ruffled as ever.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Some of us are jealous of your good fortune with Sashay, jeeem!

Athens, PA

Jeeem - can you please post a picture?

Arlene - I take it from your comment, that you are not having much luck with Sashay either....?

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Sure. I just went out and took this. It's in a container (surrounded by other containers). Got a few brown and yellow leaves after this week's sudden (yet belated) Seattle heatwave...

Thumbnail by jeeem

I'm not saying that my sashay isn't healthy. It seems perfectly fine, but it isn't going to get more sun in my yard, nor any more sashaying time. It's already been potted up, and on its way out. Maybe if I had a much larger yard, but I don't. So do-si-do (sp?) and away you go.....

Cute way of saying good-bye!

Carolyn - I don't have it but wanted it for two years now. Thankfully, this thread has cured me of the wishing for one.

Gravois Mills, MO

Never heard of that plant. I bought a Geogia Peach Saturday at a nursery outside of St Louis. They always have very nice thick plants in 6 in pots. All you have to do is give then one arm and a leg and they will give you your plant. So I kind of make demands of them. I told them they need to get Tiramisu and Encore and maybe Pistache( I want these) as well. Lets see what happens. They usually are on the up side of new plants. These are all villosa.

Athens, PA

My Sashay is not unhealthy either, however, it just seems to have little in the way of growth. It is a neat looking plant, but it is still very small and this is my third summer with it.

Iko - I have Pistache, Encore and Miracle and am very happy with all of them. I especially love the colors Miracle turns as well as Encore.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh no! Mark that one of my "Gotta Haveit" wish list.

P

Which one, Peggy?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Sashay...but then most of them don't do well for me unless I keep them in pots. In the ground they just slowly dwindle away.

If you really want it (????), I'll be happy to trade it when the weather gets cooler.

After all I've heard and read here I don't want it (if you meant me). I do have one, fairly close in looks (nice wavy edges), that makes me smile, expands nicely and always looks good. Here it is with a lily, Red Hot.

Thumbnail by pirl

Pirl, I meant bigred, who just said it's on her "gotta haveit" list.

Sorry!

That's okay.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

I have just acquired SASHAY and was lookng forward to having it in my garden. I will be curious to see how it does here. I see the tag says "full sun" so that will influence my location.
Here is the picture of the new plant, still in it's plastic pot. Looks a little different than either of the other pictures in this thread.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

That looks like her. My sashay came with me to a recent roundup, and is now living in New Hampshire, I think, where she's more appreciated than she was here.

Agawam, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm in Agawam, MA. I appreciate her and she is doing well in my garden.

Glad to hear it, dlefferts.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.