Lots of bloomers

Starkville, MS

I just wanted to show my blooming hydrangeas this year. I believe they are blooming better than ever------due to a very cold winter. I have over 120-------and, they are very, very crowded. The plants where there are no blooms are paniculatas and will be blooming next month.

Shirley D
zone 7b

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Oh my gosh! GORGEOUS!!! And what a beautiful setting!

On lunch break. Gotta get back to work,
Sherry

Starkville, MS

Can anyone help me ID this one? Could it be Nightingale?

ShirleyD

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

or Blaumeise. or Blue Wave.

Starkville, MS

I failed to add that it has the sturdiest stems of any hydrangea that I have. It is a very large and healthy hydrangea.

Shirleyd

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

OMG Shirley! Those are beautiful! Wish mine (both of them, teehee, only have 2) looked that good, lol!

Starkville, MS

Also----wanted to show some of my pretty pinks---

Shirleyd

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Starkville, MS

And more pinks

SD

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

This my lace cap this year. I had the time to trim off all the dead blooms from last year and it did so much better.

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Here are 2 blooms on the same plant. There a lot like this 2 to 3 different shades of colors. I thought they use to be blue....lol

Thumbnail by marie_kap

Here is a pic of one the I started form that same plant 2 or 3 years ago. This bloom is almost red.

Thumbnail by marie_kap
Maine, United States(Zone 5b)

Very nice!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Shirley, Your hydrangea are absolutely gorgeous! Your yard is lovely, just like a picture postcard. I love the setting with all the mature trees. Just beautiful!

Marie, I love your lacecap, and the one with the 3 colors on one plant is so pretty. I love it when there are multiple colors on one plant! Very nice!

Starkville, MS

medinac----thank you for your kind words. Unfortunately, they are beginning to fade-----due to our early intense heat. But, then, by next month the white paniculata hydrangeas will begin to bloom.

Shirleyd

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

shirley,Really beautiful hydrangas ,I only have 3,have not had much luck with loads of blooms.I got them through the winter better than yrs prior.soo thats good,but the cold wet spring, yellowing leaves ,arrgg,I fed them Ironite yesterday.I hope that was the right thing to feed them...Here is a photo of 1 glowing embers.well forget the photo I have no idea what I have done to my photos they are not going where I want them to....

I was at a market this spring that had these HJydrangea's with 1ft across blooms. No kidding, I mean it. My eyes were working correct. They were so pretty.
The price was cheap, but I didnt not buy any, not in the market that day for one.
But I was looking at these and wondering how in the world are they staying upright with all that weight?
The ones I planted last year, off the clearance rack, have rather large blooms.they are called the peppermint, and the together Hydrangea.
I will try and post some pics.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

'Big Daddy' does have huge blooms.

Thumbnail by pirl

Here I was wondering why all my plants have changed to pink blooms... DA! I have a ph balancer for my well water. Ok it is lime time for these puppuies. well the ones I want blue that is.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Lime will make it even more alkaline and keep them pink...you need to acidify your soil if you want blue blooms. Sulfur, aluminum sulfate, etc not lime.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

One year I was so busy using the aluminum sulfate for Japanese irises that I mistakenly used it on Big Daddy and it's blue now. So it's back to using lime but that seems to take years to get it to return to pink. I've heard lime doesn't even start to act for the first six months and it appears to be true.

Maybe I will just let Mother nature do what it is going to do. They are pretty with the different shades of pink and purple. And they do stand out more...lol

anyone on the Ironite for the yellowing leaves ???

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Hugger, I just bought some and waiting for cooler weather before applying. I'm getting chlorotic leaves on some of mine and my Phlox have been perpetually pathetic. Going to see if that helps. Maybe you could start a new post for this question and we can see if anyone has any advice experience with it?

Hurst, TX(Zone 7b)

Ironite can be used but check the label first. There are versions of Ironite sold that contains a lot of nitrogen, phosphorus and pottasium. That makes it a fertilizer.

This acidifying type of amendment should contain as little as 0-0-0 so you can use it and not have to worry whether you will overfertilize or not. If the Ironite Label says mineral supplement and has a NPK of 1-0-1 then that one is fine. Ironite Lawn and Plant Food, Liquid Lawn and Garden Spray or Liquid Plant and Flower Food should not be used to amend the soil if you already fertilize hydrangeas with another product. You could replace the other product with one of these though.

Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

Shirley, your hydrangeas are gorgeous.. It looks like your property is heavily wooded. Do you have any trouble with deer eating the hydrangeas? I would love to put hydrangeas all around my yard but, it seems like the deer eat everything I plant so I haven't tried them.

Starkville, MS

slvrwilo------------for years I fought the deer. One easy remedy was to buy the "deer netting" at Lowe's-----a hundred feet of 8 foot netting for $15-------and it worked beautifully. It is so light weight that you can drape it over a small branch or stick and it stays. An added advantage is that where it is folded on the ground a snake cannot get through. They get caught in it---------and you either kill them----or let the sun kill them-----and then cut that section out. But-----there is a down side----------the plants will eventually grow through it if you put it directly on them--------and, when I get around it, it invariably gets caught in buttons on my clothing. BUT, finally, I decided to get an electric fence. As a gift to myself I hired a young man to put it up. It is just a white ribbon on some black plastic sticks. I immediately spray painted that white ribbon a beige color------to blend in. Also, I was told to apply a little peanut butter to spots of the ribbon at the beginning to attract the deer's nose to it. Their coat is so tough the little shock might not be enough to deter them-----but that nose is sensitive.
Shirleyd

Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

Do they go after the hydrangeas? Or just other plants?

Starkville, MS

They will definitely eat hydrangeas----even though they don't appear to be their favorites---but, it has happened!

Shirleyd

maybe thats what I should hope for the deer eating them ,they look even worse today we got another 2inches of rain on sunday,I dont know if that has much todo with the clorosis.I will put a sign up for the deer eat these please!!!! Iam going to buy the liquid stuff They look soo badd its sadd

Starkville, MS

I have never used the Ironite for the weak looking leaves. Generally I just apply a gallon of water with a Tablespoon of a fertilizer such as 10-10-10 or even 20-20-20 if that is what I have available. It takes a little while but seems to solve it. Perhaps all the rain has depleted your soil of nutrients.

Shirleyd

you are not the only one that thinks a good feeding might help ,Iam going to do that befoe I go to work.something has to work.Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.