Joe Pye Weed leaves disappearing?!?

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

Past few days I noticed something has been eating my Joe Pye weed. Large sections of the leaves are just gone with a nice clean edge. It looks like the kind of damage that occurs when a big caterpillar eats a large portion of a leaf. I did check for caterpillars (and other voracious critters) but could not find any. Any idea what could be doing this?

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

I have the same thing, big holey leaves, I'm hoping it's monarch catepillars, but I haven't seem any. hoping someone else knows. Nothing else eaten but it's surrounded by other prairie plants, just joe pye leaves, so it's a choosey bugger.

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

Well it should not be monarchs since they only eat milkweed. I am not sure how far north you are from me but I have seen a handful of monarchs in the past 2 weeks and we have a couple small caterpillars and a few eggs so far. It does seem kind of early for them though. They should be up by you soon!

I have been checking the joe pye daily trying to find the culprit but so far no luck. Years ago I found a small green caterpillar eating my joe pye but it was not doing the kind of damage I am seeing now. Whatever it is, it is a sneaky little thing.

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

I have just noticed the same darn thing happening to my Joe Pye - Gateway and found no larvae, etc. I am going to try this recipe Ret_Sgt_Yates posted on this forum. Why not - it sounds pretty lethal. I can use insecticidal soap too I guess? It's hard to say, if the pests are not noticeable.

BUG B GONE FROM YOUR GARDEN SPRAY
THE NATURAL WAY
6 Jalapeños
4 Cloves of Garlic
1 Yellow (Hot) Onion
1 Cup of Ground /Crushed Red Pepper
*Grind all ingredients in blender let set.
* Boil 4 Quarts of water to raging boil.
Put Ingredients in one (1) Gallon (Wide Mouth) Jug or Equivalent.
Pour Hot water in on top, let stand 48 hours.
Strain mix through panty hose.(NOT wife’s good ones! Ya could get hurt)
Mix will yield one gallon that can be mixed in 2 ½ gal sprayer.(Add cool water to fill line)
***Spray New and growing plants until fruit starts to grow well.
There is not a bug or critter around that will bother you garden.
*** The Bees don’t Care****

This message was edited Jun 14, 2010 7:59 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.