Rehydrating dried clay (blocks of it) question

Odessa, FL

I bought quite a bit of clay from someone who was getting out of pottery several years ago. I was going to use it for my class work, but discovered that they don't allow "outside" clay because they don't want to risk student's work being damaged by anyone using clay of the wrong rating, etc.

So now that I have a way to fire my own clay I want to try the clay, but it is dry as a brick. I have a hunk sitting in a bucket of water right now, thought I'd let it sit overnight and pour the water off, then let it sit covered with plastic a while so the water can equalize through the clay. I've never done this before to this extent though, so it is an experiment.

I'd love to hear of other ways people have tried, so if this doesn't work (or work well) I can try something else. I have several bags to do.

Thanks!
Eileen

PS. Picture has nothing to do with the post, just wanted to practice attaching pictures, sorry!

Thumbnail by pantherFL
This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!