Purple Beech tree in the shade

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Not knowing any better, I planted a pruple Beech tree in partial shade. My present understanding is that all European Beech like full sun. Yes? It seems to be doing ok but I noticed that the newest leaves are a green/red mix. Should I move it out into more light now while I can (it's only 5 feet tall)? Or, should I just leave it and see what happens?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

They like starting in shade when young, but with the ability to grow into full sun after a few years.

Resin

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I have had the regular 'purpurea' in full sun for a couple years. I planted 'tortuosa purpurea' this year in full sun. Both are doing really well so far. You should have the same or better results living in Michigan, I think. You will get the darker purple color if you move it to full sun. But you could wait like Resin suggested.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Well, gasrocks - looks like you have a quandary.

Move to Michigan, and expect better results. Stay in Wisconsin, and take your chances.

Hopefully, you are a blue-n-gold Wolverine fan...and are willing to give up beer and cheese opportunities.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Tri-colored Beech (Fagus sylvatica 'Roseomarginata') looks so much better in part-shade. The Purple Beech seem to do just fine in part-shade around here but I've seen the dark-green leaves instead of purple when heavily shaded. It should do fine where it is.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Yikes. Sorry about that...lol.

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Beech has to be my favorite tree (though I hesitate to say that as there are so many wonderful ones.) No one around here grows them though. I only have 4 kinds so far and they seem to be doing OK. Hard to acquire them here. One thing that does fasinate me is the variety: leaf shape, leaf color, upright, twisted, weeping, columar, etc. And that yields so many combinations. I'll bet that somewhere is an example of each combo possible. EX: weeping yellow lace leaf (?)

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quote from gasrocks :
I'll bet that somewhere is an example of each combo possible

No upright weeper ;-))

Resin

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

gasrocks, you could probably find about any of them online. Have you tried googling the different varieties? That's the way I find mine usually and then mail order them.

Note that those variations from the species will essentially be available only as selections of Fagus sylvatica, the European Beech.

While you might find very recently a weeping form listed under American Beech, I'm fairly certain that you are generally only going to find seedling grown species plants of Fagus grandifolia.

I'd really want to see an image of that Cameron's Weeping Beech before I invested in it - AND know a bit about its provenance before thinking it would be hardy in WI.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

VV, check the plants files. I just added it and posted a pic a day or two ago.

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My neighbor across the park has a large 7+ year old Tri-colored Beech (Fagus sylvatica 'Roseomarginata') planted on their parkway in full sun. The leaves turn to shriveled tri-colored crunchies in July and August. It's a beautifully formed tree and I try to shield my eyes.

killdaw:

The images aren't uploaded yet, apparently.

That's a start. Wonder why the nursery doesn't show an image (big or little)?

Do you know where the parent is from?

Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Yes, the overall form of the E. Beech is a big atraction. My last visit to Concord Mass. I sat on the limb of a 200 yr old Purple Beech. Has 2 foot in dia. branches sweeping almost to the ground with smooth bark. Most impressive.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

I got mine at Greer Gardens. Is that the nursery you are referring to? If so, I'm not sure why they don't have a picture. The pictures they do have of various plants are not very good, imo. I don't know what the parent was. The only info I know is what Greer listed. I also put their description in the Plantfile. I've only had mine for a couple of years. Still small but doing really well in full sun most of the day. Here is my pic:

Thumbnail by killdawabbit
Portage, WI(Zone 5a)

Oh no. I just looked at the Greer Gardens site. I'm in trouble now.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Haha. I know exactly what you mean. I have never been disappointed buying from them. They are the first place I turn to for most things.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.