Cape Honeysuckle not blooming

Friendswood, TX(Zone 9a)

I have three cape honeysuckle plants. Bignoniaceae (big-no-nih-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tecomaria (tek-oh-MAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: capensis (ka-PEN-sis) (Info)
Although they are growing fast and very healthy, they have no blooms???? They are located in a sunny location. I'm located in Zone 9A/B on the hot and humid Texas Gulf Coast . Any suggestions???

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It's a bit early in the year--they're more of a later summer/fall bloomer (at least here). Also if they're fairly new plants (planted in the last couple years), some things will take a couple years to get their roots going before they'll bloom. Or if they're well established and other plants of this type are blooming now in your area, the other possibility I can think of is too much nitrogen fertilizer--that can stimulate lots of green growth at the expense of blooms.

Scottsdale, AZ(Zone 9b)

for us, they bloom in winter months here in AZ.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine are just starting to grow well - lost my yellow one this winter, but as has already been stated - they bloom in late summer/early fall here in my yard.

Friendswood, TX(Zone 9a)

Sounds like I'm being impatient and just need to wait. Thanks

Pretoria, South Africa

paulrintexas,

I planted one this past summer, and it has only started to form buds - we are in the middle of winter - so you should get some flowers later on in the season.

Elsa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.