A NOID, a very very strange NOID

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ever so often I get this what I have dumbed "devils fingers" because of their brite red color. I dont know what they are really called but they like to grow in the woodchips!

They appear to have like a sheath on the tip of the finger and then right below it "oozes" and the insects like this fly like to lite on them and apparently the bugs like its "sap"

W_E_I_R_D_!!!

What is this NOID?

Thumbnail by BLOSSOMBUDDY
Keaau, HI

Looks lke a Phallus, Stinkhorn Fungus.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well ALOHA! I have no clue!

Derned thing is sooo weird!

The "sap" on it must be sweet to draw bugs I think!

Keaau, HI

The fungus puts out a manure-like scent to attract flies.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, with all the manure around the farm here, I could not smell it, but really did not stick my knows to it either! Guess only a stinking fly could like its sap! But yes, it does, it has a bead of clear ooze just below that cap.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Very cool! Wish they would come up in my wood chips.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Not Phallus, but a closely related genus Mutinus; maybe Mutinus caninus or Mutinus elegans.

Resin

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL!! ROTFL!!! not so much at the fungus but wabbits handle! LOL!! Tooo cute, dare I ask you to explain that?!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Rabbits are the bane of my gardening existence. I hate them. I have to cage practically everything I plant and also spray rabbit stink on the others to keep them from eating everything.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

BUG B GONE AND CRITTER GITTER FROM YOUR GARDEN SPRAY
THE NATURAL WAY
6 Jalapeños
4 Cloves of Garlic
1 Yellow (Hot) Onion
1 Cup of Ground /Crushed Red Pepper
*Grind all ingredients in blender let set.
* Boil 4 Quarts of water to raging boil.
Put Ingredients in one (1) Gallon (Wide Mouth) Jug or Equivalent.
Pour Hot water in on top, let stand 48 hours.
Strain mix through panty hose.(NOT wife’s good ones! Ya could get hurt)
Mix will yield one gallon that can be mixed in 2 ½ gal sprayer.(Add cool water to fill line)
***Spray New and growing plants until fruit starts to grow well.
There is not a bug or critter around that will bother you garden.
*** The Bees don’t Care****

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Wild Bunnies here too.. I have gotten beyond worrying on them... Im begining to name them one by one as I lterally trip on them. Been like the 24 dwarfs around here.. ya turn around and the derned things are looking at me! riggling that nose and taunting!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Man that sounds like a recipe for MACE!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow! BB, sounds like you have it a llot worse than I do.
Sarge, I'll save that recipe. Thanks.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

critters and bugs respect the juice lol

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Better than a pitchfork!! LOL!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, and here is another noid.... see red globs on log!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Yo, Sarge, I think you could probably get away with just using habaneros boiled and strained through the wifes hose, but perhaps something stronger might be needed instead of the wives favs... ya might have a filter: blowout! HA!

So far I have named the bunnies, Goofy, Fuzzy, Dumpy, Frumpy, Whizzer, Whooper and the ever populare Thumper, Bumper and Jumper...Im running out of names. Oh yeah, forgot, Mangy... caught a glimpse of a bigun blowing fur today...

Then the deer decided the sunflower patch was a great place for desert... OY! Topped a good chunk of the sunnies back to knee high. Its either that or the dernd bunnies are gettning bigger than I thought! There goes my bloomers in more than one way... Poof!

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

habaneros, have to much oil and burnthe plants tryed that and they cause the bees and other good bugs not to work for you

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

BB, I feel so sorry for you. At least I don't have a deer problem. They run wild in this area but so far haven't bothered anything in my yard.

Keaau, HI

Need to see a close-up of the "red globs".

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Actually, I dont mind the wild life...the sunnies were planted for them to enjoy. We harvest what comes.

Ok, let me see if I can enlarge the red globs....Ill be baaaack!

Yeah, I figured that Sarge... it was just worth the tease! LOL!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Here you go, the red glob fungi enlarged...um, hope it does not loes its pixels to bad!

Keaau, HI

It is a type of plasmodial slime mold.

Very likely it is Tubifera ferruginosa, Red Raspberry Slime Mold.

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

What a pretty name! I wish I had some.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I guess these guys are both keepers! Thanks! Glad to be able to share them in pixtures!!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Ok, another one...sorry the pic is blurry, but the fungus is the tan thing

Keaau, HI

Can you show a focused close-up of the fungus.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Im gonna have to go back out to see if the fungus is among us! Idid not realize how blurry that was until you mentioned it! So sorry. Hope the rains do not smush it!

Christiana, TN(Zone 6b)

Rain? Rain? What's that? Seems like I remember that word from a long time ago. Like two weeks or so now.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Are you kidding me URY?!

This was last night which looked much like the nite before and the nite before.. its been going on here well, was every four days now for a realllly long time getting several inches per week for a long time too.....we are saturated and its seems like every other day and NASTY!

Last nite was high winds and some areas were hit with hurricane force and HELLO! Im in the midstate!

Its calm and cool this morning...good fungus hunting weather! But Im not so sure I want to go out to the bog and woods yet! Might fall in a puddle..!

And yes, those are tornado-ish clouds! That was the front of the storm.

I was outside enjoying the sweltering heat in the eavening and all of a sudden the temps dropped like a lead ballon, got realllly windy and so I took my lameself to the house and was pacing the floor going crawlspace or upperlevel. I hate going into the crawlspace!

I think you might get some rain today.. the map looked good for it.. hope its gentle for ya!

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Well, metrosideros, my fine fungi guru, I got out there this morning and got a better shot at that one on the log.. here ya go.. shes a beauty!

And while trompin out in the bog and woods, the funguys were everywhere! So I got more for you to tease your noodle!

So here we go!

Keaau, HI

So far looks like a type of Polypore fungi.

If you could remove of piece and lay it on a floor, table or other flat surface, it would make it easier to get a clear photo.
Need to see the top & bottom of the fungi.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

I wil have to go back to the woods to do that, in the meantime, how about theses tiny little buttons?

Keaau, HI

Sorry, but any photos will need to be in focus for get an ID.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

LOL! SO SOrry! That should teach me not to trip on a log and not look at the enlargement before posting a pic!

Ok... hmm lets try these then in the mean time!

I will have you know too, that any I am posting here I cannot dispute what they are or are not.. I have no clue either way!

Im just a poor lil picture taker thas all!

Keaau, HI

Those might be a type of Inky Cap, Coprinus. Does the cap appear to turn black and melt as it gets older?

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Cant say! I shot them a couple days ago and have no clue now where the colony is now!

They where kind of translucent when I found them!

Heres another...if I recall right, these had "fin" under the cap! And white too!

Sorry about the slight blurr..I really need a better camera... and a steadier hand. I get in a hurry in all my discovery excitement! LOL!

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

blossombuddy - I found one of those in my yard today also. I was working in my garden and there was a terrible smell. It smells like a product I used two yars ago called Liquid Fence. The smell made me swear never to use it again. I was puzzled - how could it still smell of LF after all this tim?. So I came here and there it was!! Thankyou. I cannot take a picture because I accidently stepped on it. Now my shoes need some treatment or they will go into the garbage.

Watseka, IL(Zone 5a)

Which one Mable??

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Sorry blossombuddy. I meant the stinkhorn fungus. killdawabbit would like some but I am going to try to get rid of it asap. My flowers smell so pretty and that is the way I like it. Anyway it was great to be able to find out about it so easily. Thanks to all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.