why wont my cannas grow????

Turner, OR

Hi guys, I am at my wits end! I finally after years, got my first canna's and planted them in the garden 2 months ago and not one has broke ground! I am in zone 8 but I thought they should be up by now! should I dig them out and plant something else or wait a little longer!:(
Marie

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Well in zone 6b for me there all coming up, some are even close to a foot and a half maybe even 2 feet.. Are yours in full sun? Do they get enough water?? I find that my cannas do better if i water them everyday.. I planted mine in the middle of april and pretty much all have started.. Were the roots healthy when you planted them??
jen

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Carefully dig one up to see if the rhizome is firm and white and any sprouts coming.
Check the others, also (carefully) .. if you wish.
If looking viable, replant and give all a watering with a not too strong solution of liquid fertilizer. Continue to keep them watered to not dry out and they should be up shortly.
If the rhizomes are dried/rotted though, they most likely they will not grow unless some still have some viable sprouts attached.

Turner, OR

great advise!!! I will do just that with crossed fingers! I really really wanted to grow some as I have never had any before!!!!
Thanks,
Marie

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Hi Marie, I planted cannas this year for the first time also. How are yours doing now? Update us please!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.