American Persimmon

(Becky) Gresham, OR(Zone 8a)

I got two persimmon trees they where dormant when I got them in early april. I planted them in a very large container so I could move in & out until it was growning good and warmer.....well nothing has happend still two sticks but still green under thr bark. So how long will it take to come out of Its "sleep".

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Persimmons are among the last fruit trees to leaf out especially when newly planted. If the cambium layer is still green, the trees are still alive. Did you prune the tops when you planted them?

American persimmons are large trees. They should be fine planted in the ground in your zone.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2010 3:41 PM

No I didn't prum the top should I do that? Is it ok to plant them outside when they are still young? They are about4 ft tall and not very thick.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

It's OK to plant small trees outside. If none of the leaf buds have swollen , you can still prune the trees. 18" to 24" inches from the ground if you want low branching or 36" from the ground if you want higher branching. This also encourages stronger growth than if you didn't prune.

Thank you Betty D you have been quite helpfull.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.