Check your knowldege of Latin in plant names

Madison, WI

I thought it was kind of interesting to test myself on the meaning of
Greek and Latin terms in plant names: http://gardening.about.com/library/bl_LatinQuiz.htm
Did not do as well as I thought I'd do :(

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

oh man... that was horrid... after so many, and only having 1 correct, i quit. LOL

Lewisville, MN(Zone 4a)

Why do we need to know?
I got about half correct.

Madison, WI

You are good, I got about 40% right. Of cause we do not need to know scientific names of plants to enjoy
gardening. I did it out of curiosity. Often when I look up plants in the PlantFiles, I wonder what some of those
Latin terms mean. Unlike most of our names plant names are picked for a reason and usually reflect
some specific feature.

Bloomington, IN(Zone 6a)

I got 6 out of 10 correct and the screen said "you need to read more plant labels"! I like using the botanical names because they tell something about the plant and there's no confusion as to which plant you're referring to as with common names. My neighbor calls her datura "moonflower", which is what I call my night blooming, white, morning glory . . . er . . . . I mean Ipomoea! : )

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

I guessed on most of them....got 4 right. Good thing I took French for 8 years, Latin is clearly not my language!

Verona, WI(Zone 4b)

I got 3 out of 10, need to do some brush up on that! thanks for sending that on.

Madison, WI

French would have helped if I remembered to look at the roots :(
As an after thought I recognized some.

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

You answered 7 items out of 10 correctly.

Your score is 70%. At least it's not all Greek to you.

I missed one stupid one that I actually knew--grandifolia. For some reason I read grandiflora and said "large flowers" instead of "large leaves." I also changed my answer on spicata at the last minute and I should've stuck with my original one, which was correct. D'oh!

Madison, WI

Kayly, you are a word geek!

Watertown, WI(Zone 5a)

I am, actually. I'm a writer. I think that helps. lol

Columbia City, IN(Zone 5b)

uMM ,Iam not even going to look and Iam pleading IGNORANT on greek and latin terms, if I did know more proper terms i most likely wouldnt be so confused at times !!! well maybe...

Madison, WI

You'd be surprised that you can guess some :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.