Seed Pods

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

I have a TB that I forgot to cut the stalks down on. There were three that had stalks that I didn't remove. Well, Made of Magic has one seed pod on it. It may be a false pod. If it isn't than likely bees or some insect pollinated it. This is my first year with my TB. I know that you leave the seed pod to dry, and it will split when ready to collect seeds.

Is it true that self-pollinated seed pods never grow true to the cultivator? That two seeds will not be alike?

What does everyone do with the seeds once they have them?

Boise, ID(Zone 5b)

You can grow them and see what you get or throw them away.

No use saving them unless you grow them or can give them to someone who will grow them.

It's kinda fun to see what grows but don't expect too much.

Loreli

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Flower_addictnc

Here's a link with some info about growing bearded iris seeds. There are many beautiful irises that were the result of a bee pod or lost parentage. I encourage you to plant and see what you get.

Regardless of the means of pollination, each and every seed from a pod will produce a unique plant, no two will be alike. Some may resemble one, or both parents, or be totally different. Seeds will not produce a plant true to the cultivar, even if self pollinated.

http://leticia.smugmug.com/Flowers/Iris-Hybridizing/1222403_uHtX8#P-2-12

Good Luck, Dan

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dan,
I also will keep a couple of pods when the time comes.My irises are still blooming but I have crossed daylilies myself before and was thrilled by the outcome.Really proud of what I have accomplished.
Have you done some hybridizing with iris and how many years until they bloom ?

Gardiner, ME(Zone 5a)

OH my oh my...look at those seedpods !

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

Thank you very much for the information!

I will keep an eye on them for insects. I didn't think of that!

Once the seeds have been harvested when is the time to plant them? I am assuming they are planted in pots?

Also, how long do they take to bloom from seed?

Valdese, NC(Zone 7a)

http://home.flash.net/~mindpath/ssis/oneway.htm

I found this article by searching via Google. Looks like I will be wintersowing them.

Does it take 2 years to see a bloom from seeds?

Gilbertsville, KY(Zone 7a)

Here is a link to a thread that I described my method for planting seeds from crosses.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1053553/?hl=iris%20seeds

Vail, AZ

Yes, it takes at least two seasons to get a bloom. But when you do your in for a treat. Here is one of my seedlings from this year.

Thumbnail by redheadclan
South Hamilton, MA

Click on zacattack's link there. Much information on procedure which he set up.

Raleigh, NC

It's true, Flower_addictnc!

irises reproduce by cloning - which is true to the parent plant.

They also reproduce by sexual reproduction, which results in seeds. All seeds are a completely new and completely unique genetic combination, a hybrid. No seed is true to the parent plant, and no seedling will be exactly like any other. exactly the same as a litter of mutt puppies: most will be similar to one or other parent, a few will be unique.

here's the numbers: hybridizers estimate that out of 1,000 seedlings, only one is good enough to introduce, and only about 100 are good enough to keep for re-evaluation the next year. it is not unusual for a place like Schreiners to plant over 15,000 seeds per year!

so, like it was said above in another post, don't expect too much. But do have some fun with it.

You were also right, as most of my not-crossed-by-me pods are infertile, "false pregnancies."

Raleigh, NC

Should have added, most folks decide not to plant the seeds because of space and time limitations.

If you don't plan on planting the seeds, or have someone that wants them, please remove the stalk and pod now - you DON'T want the seeds to scatter in your garden. That's ususally the way we hear of "my blue iris bed has turned all white!" type of problem. It's usually seedlings taking over.

South Hamilton, MA

It's not the seed planting which takes space intially, it;s the line out space for even good irises which uses it up.

Raleigh, NC

yup. from now on here, if something goes in, in the sun, something else gotta go out.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.