Couple of Questions - May Night Salvia

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Bought Salvia "May Night" at Lowe's a month or so ago. Tag said it requires full sun, but many sites on the 'Net say "full or partial sun". Does it require any special type of care? Mine was beautiful when purchased & planted, but once the initial blooms faded, that's it, hasn't flowered since. I have it in an area that gets partial sun, would it do better if I moved it to a full sun area?

Also have a question about deadheading. When you deadhead a salvia, do you cut the entire flower
spike off?

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Yes, cut off the entire spike.

I've never grown May Night but others who have it are bound to help you.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Pirl, didn't want to cut off the entire spike if I wasn't supposed to!

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Jolieb,
Not sure cause your not as hot as here. Lowe's was selling here also. I didn't buy any but a friend of mine did and it's not doing well at all. She's got it in a am sun/pm high shade area. I think it really resents the humidity/heat .

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the reply, mjsponies. I've been reading all these wonderful things about May Night but mine is just not living up to the claims.

It might have something to do with transplant shock. I really don't know.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

Pirl, I originally thought transplant shock, too, but it's put out lots of new growth and appears to be doing very well, just not flowering. Have already been outside this morning & cut off all the dead spikes, hoping that will make a difference.

Sure it will! So happy to hear you have new growth so there is nothing to worry about.

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

I bought May K. last year, and it just sat there, but this spring came back and bloomed and is now spreading. It gets sun/part shade. Hot here so I'm sure it likes a little shade.

Birmingham, AL(Zone 7b)

I've got mine in sun/part shade also. Hopefully mine will do well next spring like yours has this year, EFG. Thanks!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

You're welcome

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.