Need a catchy title

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

I'm going to be doing the 'horticulture tips' for the South Whidbey Garden Clubs each month starting in September. The woman who used to do it had been doing it for years and year and years. (She's one of our older members.) Her name was Midge and it was called 'Midge's Moments."

So I need a catchy title for mine. It doesn't necessarily have to include my name.

Basically what I'll be doing (same as she did, altho I can change it up if I want) is to highlight what's going on in the garden that month, any chores that people should be aware need doing, highlight any new plants coming out, books on the market, answer questions people have about plants (which often involves going home after the meeting and looking it up and then getting back to the group via email or at the next meeting), etc.

Any ideas?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Gardening with Gwen?

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

That's catchy. Anything without my name? So that in the future someone could replace me or sub in and we could have a more 'generic' name? I think I might use 'gardening with Gwen' as a tag line. I like it!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

In the Garden
From my Garden to Yours
Let's Garden Together

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Anything without the word 'garden' since we're using that in the tag line? Something that sounds good spoken.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Picky, picky, picky . . .

What's Growing On
One Chore at a Time
Weed or Feed?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I like what's growing on.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I like "In the Garden" suggested by Agent 59 - simple and to the point

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

What's with Agent 59? Are you sure you don't mean Agent 99?

Through the Seasons
Down and Dirty
Flora - Close Up and Personal

Maybe Agent 59 in recognition of her peace-making efforts on other threads?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Hi, GG, nice to see you here.

I like 'what's growing on', cuz I started to sing it. lalala

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

What's the '59' reference?

So far my faves are What's Growing On, Through the Seasons, and Down and Dirty. So far I like Down and Dirty because I can 'hear' it being spoken.

They always say something like "And now it's down for Midge's Moments." I can hear "Now it's time to get Down and Dirty with Gwen," or something like that.

Still pondering...

These are good. I think I might have to do a gardening blog...

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I vote for Down & Dirty - has a good ring to it. The Agent 59 is in reference to someone accusing Katie (and Pixy) of working undercover for IB on one of the 'Dave's Garden' forum threads that went whacko last week.

(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA(Zone 7a)

Garden whens from Gwen.
Dirty plays in the garden.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Judi actually started the Agent 59 reference at about the same time that I was on the other threads getting accused of spying, trolling, and whatever else. It seemed particularly apropos - still hoping that we can come up with a garden gloves phone (as a tribute to the Get Smart shoe phone).!!

I like Down and Dirty. That sounds perfect!

I would do Down and Dirty: Gardening with Gwen. But I would suspect that the next person who takes on this job after you leave it will have some objection to Down and Dirty, or anything else you choose, so you may as well pick what YOU like and not worry about who comes afterwards.

Bonehead, what a great job of distilling hundreds of posts and a huge storm into a single sentence! Hats off to you!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

How about 'Dirty Digging'

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

"Dig This"

"Good Clean Dirt"

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Oh - my new favorite is "Dig This": Gwen's Life in the Garden. Actually, I want to steal that for my blog (which I haven't created yet.).

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Katie
do you want to do a blog ?
i can set you up with one

edited to say
separate from DG or cubits
your own web site with your own blog

This message was edited Jun 5, 2010 3:07 AM

Gwen, did you decide yet? Dishing Dirt with Gwen
Or, playing off one of our own member's names, Dirty Nails News with Gwen.

I'm thinking sometimes garden clubs are a bit chi-chi, if you know what I mean, and some of the rough and ready names could be a turnoff. But Gwen knows who the members are, so she would also know if those would suit.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Getting Dirty - Gardening with Gwen

Get Dirty - Gardening with Gwen

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Lots of good ones to choose from. I'm pondering them over.

I wouldn't say our club is so chi-chit that I couldn't use pretty much anything I wanted.

The past two days have been taken up with a bbq event I participate in every year and now today I'm headed south to take Jeff back to Oregon. He came up on the train Friday to help me cook.

(Judi)Portland, OR

Have a safe trip Gwen - it's really wet everywhere.

Would that barbeque event have anything to do with eggs - the big green kind?

(Judi)Portland, OR

Get Growing - Gardening with Gwen

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Down the garden path (although that was Beverly Nichols book - I think 1953?, and English - so it won't actually turn up in the US)
Spring forward, Autumn back
Dirty Digging
Over the garden gate
Seed, Sow, Plant

Although I have to say its hard to beat 'What's Growing On' - don't you miss Marvin Gaye - goodness he was silky.

Strever, you set up blogs? Is it complicated to run? May I dmail you?

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 8:24 PM

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 8:26 PM

This message was edited Jun 6, 2010 8:30 PM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Yes, Laurie, his voice is silky smooth. Now, you've got me singing it again.

Gwen, is your BBQ event a contest? Safe trip.

(Pony) Lakewood, WA(Zone 8a)

Ooh, I love "Over the garden gate".

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

This is such a creative group!

Aren't we good. I'm off to hummmm a bit of marvin gaye. hmm.

(Judi)Portland, OR

I love Over the Garden Gate the best so far, but you don't really go over a gate. Maybe Through the Garden Gate.

I also like Seed, Sow, Plant. So many choices!

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Wow, how am I going to choose?

I'm down in Oregon using my son's gf's laptop. Will pick up the plants soon and head back.

The bbq event was the PNW eggfest (www.pnweggfest.com), so yes. Not a competition, just some people cooking and about 400 or so eating. Great fun.

Laurie, those books are avail here. In fact I have several. They are great. I like to give them as gifts. He's such a funny writer.

Gwen, I've been trying to get that new BGE cookbook that came out this winter, but I guess there's no place on line for it. DH needs a hand with ours; he's having trouble getting temperatures where they should be, and also he's not convinced that those temps are necessary for specific dishes!

Through the Garden Gate is a lovely title!

NOOOO, Portland, you chat over the garden gate - maybe it is too english. of course you go through it, but then you are looking.

Village of Port Clem, Canada

I have a gardening column here in our local newpaper that I call " Deer Gardener", because the Deer eat everything anyway. Its a fun column about my life and times in the dirt.

Perhaps Gwen could look somewhere just on the fringe of her main focus for a name.?

(Judi)Portland, OR

As soon as I posted the thing about going through a gate, I realized that in England you have stiles. Now I get the chat over the gate thing, because the column is a chat! Back to Over the Garden Gate!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I like "What's Growing On?" and "Dig This"
Neither is too sophisticated, but both are fun.

'Deer Gardener',, LOL! That's a good one!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.