Superstition?

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

I am pretty sure that this is Superstition.

Thumbnail by caitlinsgarden
Port Sanilac, MI

Looks more like Cantina to me.

Thumbnail by kays_camelot
Port Sanilac, MI

Superstition

Thumbnail by kays_camelot
Bakersfield, CA

This is what Cantina looks like in California.

Thumbnail by Betja
Port Sanilac, MI

Beautiful flowers! To tell the truth, my Catalina is in fact the color of Caitlins picture; my picture came out a little lighter than my flower. Yours is so much lighter! But they all have that blue down the middle. I think I like yours the best!

McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

If you look up Superstition in plant files, the first photo by ladyanne looks exactly like mine.

Saint Cloud, MN

I am having the same trouble trying to ID a flower that might be superstition. The photo from kays_camelot is definitely a bluer black and a more solid velvet color. But you do see photos of the superstition thst show a reddish hue like that. Can there be that much variation? Or are there mis-IDs out there?

Here is my pseudo-superstition NOID. It is close to the original photo and I bet we have similar soil/climate going by the geography. Could it be a hybrid of superstition maybe? Or a regional variant? Do such things exist?

Thumbnail by rubia16
McGregor, IA(Zone 4b)

That looks like mine. I think sun and time of day has a lot to do with how it photographs. In bright sun you can see the red violet base color, but in less light it looks darker?

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 5b)

Superstition.. A little story about my black irises... I actuall got THREE black irises mixed up for 2-3years....Study in Black, Superstition and Tuxedo. After investigating and searching and looking and taking pictures, I finally have them all straightened out. Superstition is a blue-black, and in the sunlight/indoors has a blue tinged beard. Tuxedo has simple, petals... almost no ruffling, and the beard is the same as the falls...(self). Study In Black has a brown tinged beard towards the shoulders...

Superstition:

Thumbnail by naomimade

Tuxedo

Thumbnail by naomimade

Study In Black

Thumbnail by naomimade
Saint Cloud, MN

Thanks! There are an awful lot of dark purple ones out there. Could ours be diaboliques?

Myeb you can help us get straightened out too? It is hard to work from two pictures.

Bakersfield, CA

Here is a picture I took of DIABOLIQUE up at Schreiner's a couple of weeks ago (in the rain, unfortunately).

Thumbnail by Betja
Saint Cloud, MN

Thank you! The picture on the Schreiner's page is not as clear as this. Wow. Mine sure isn't Diabolique-- that one is frillier.

Oh, I guess it is still a mystery. Gosh this is hard!

Here is my Superstition.

Thumbnail by

Superstition's beard looks the same even though the blue-black color may vary... if you take your bloom indoors, it's always a fairly narrow beard that had a tinge of blue. &:-)

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

Our Superstition was bought from Cooley's way back in 1999. This is the photo of it last year. It is the only dark iris in this bed and all in the bed were from the same place. Is it really Superstition? It was taken in bright sunlight.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
South Hamilton, MA

Cooleys are a reliable source.

wow! that doesn't look like my Superstition at all.... mine do not have any white on the beards... but CaitlinsGarden Superstition looks just like mine.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

I include the descriptions on all my photographs, and here is the one from Cooley's for Superstition.

Superstition (Schreiner 1977)
Type: TB
Height: 36"
Season: Mid
Color: Dark ebony-hued with a hint of maroon, deep within the ebony tints, distinguishes this rich beauty.
Beards: Purple fading to yellow
Description: This sleek and rich dark beauty opens three flowers at a time on a well-branched stem with 8-10 buds. The copiously wide and stiffly substanced petals appear to have been polished
with printer's ink.
Fragrance: Yes
Awards: HM 1978, AM 1981

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.