Looking for a couple of Peach Trees

Wauneta, NE

Would any one know where I might be able to find a couple of peach trees that would live in zone 5 that wouldn't cost a lot. We would like them to be not really small so far the ones I looked at run around $100 a piece. Didn't know if anyone would know a good place to look.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Plant some seeds. Peaches are one of the few trees that put on a lot of grow very fast and seedlings can actually produce good fruit. I had a seedling come up during the summer last year and it is over 5 feet tall this year.

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

Lowes and Home Depot both carry them here for around $30 each. They have dwarf and full size trees. Do you have one of those stores near by? If you can't find them there, try ordering them bare root from Stark Bros.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I suggest you first contact your local Cooperative Extension Service agent for a list of the best varieties for your area. Then look for information on those varieties to decide which varieties to try.Finally, look for nurseries that sell those varieties. It may be too late to plant any trees this late in the year, but that gives you time to do some research and to find a source for the varieties you seek. Box stores like Lowes and Home Depot are not necessarily the best sources.
http://www.extension.unl.edu/officeslist
http://byf.unl.edu/

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

Bettydee, Why do you say that Lowes and Home Depot are not necessarily the best sources? I have had good luck with their fruit trees and the price is usually very affordable. And they give you a year guarantee with it as well. I'm just curious to know if you have had problems with their fruit trees?

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Affordable prices is a big draw, but the varieties they sell don't necessarily grow well in all areas of the country. Most tend to pot up the bareroot trees that didn't sell early in the season and sell them as potted trees. Those trees are usually not pruned much when sold bareroot. It is expected that the buyer will prune them properly at when they plant the trees. These tress are already under stress because bareroot season is far gone What grow they put out is weak and spindly. A $30.00 bargain may not be a bargain after all. Not all the fruit trees they sell are leftovers, but most don't make a distinction. If the tree dies, yes you get a replacement, but you've lost a whole growing season. Price alone shouldn't dictate what you buy.

Germantown, TN(Zone 7b)

Good to know. I guess Lowes and HD operate differently depending on what state you are in. Here in west TN, I have found that they sell fruit trees they purchase from some of the nearby wholesale nurseries. I guess I am just fortunate to have had good luck with them so far.

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I love the fruit trees I have bought from Raintree Nursery in Washington. They are more than the big box stores when you count the shipping but they are VERY helpful when you call them and the trees they have sent me we wonderful. I did have one that didn't come out of dormancy the next spring and they sent me a replacement for free.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

When I lived in California I used to buy all my fruit trees from RainTree Nursery. Since I moved to Texas, I've had to find another source. The reason for this is that RainTree won't ship their bareroot trees before March — too late for planting bareroot trees here in Central Texas. I've been buying my bareroot fruit trees from Bay Laurel Nursery in California.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.