Echinacea Companion List

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Here is my list of companion plants I am enjoying this year with my Echinaceas. Please share your list with us!

Thanks,
Clint

Coreopsis "Jethro Tull"
Salvia "May Night"
Sedum "Mr. Goodbud" (Highly Recommended)
Sedum "Postman's Pride"
Sedum "Matron"
Sedum "Black Jack"
Sedum "Chocolate Drop"
Sedum "Autumn Joy"
Rosa "Easy Does It" (Looks especially good with Echinacea "Coral Reef" and "Flame Thrower"
Penstemon "Dark Towers" (Try with "After Midnight"!)
Yarrow (the Tutti Frutti Series looks amazing!)
Pink Muhly Grass
Solidago "Fireworks"
Solidago "Little Lemon"
Rudbeckia "Henry Eilers"
Rudbeckia "Goldilocks"
Nepeta "Walker's Low"

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Nice list Emaniac. Up here they are living with roses, DLs, various sedum,yarrow 'Terra Cotta', cimicifuga,delphs,veronica, lilies, lavender and heleniums and hydrangea. Also in the neighborhood are penstemon 'Mystica' similar to 'Dark Towers',that will be done blooming but the darker foliage is a good companion I agree.

I have 'Mystica'...I love the Penstemons. I've been multiplying them like crazy in a glass of water in the window. They tend to die out after a year or two so I try to keep some fresh young plants going each year. They are wonderful.

I just bought a Helenium called "Mardi Gras" from Bluestone. It has a bud on it to bloom. can't wait to see it!

Solidago "Little Lemon" is a new favorite of mine!

(Debra) Garland, TX

I put variegated Liriope, white Agapanthus, Salvia 'East Friesland', Caryopertis 'Summer Sorbet' and Plumbago with 'Magnus'; Gaura lindheimeri and Spanish Lavender 'Anouk', and blue-eyed grass with 'Sunrise'; Gaura 'Crimson Butterflies' with 'Pixie Meadowbrite'; and Perovskia and Mexican Heather with 'Sunset';

About to put in 'Alba', 'Rocky Top' and 'Double Decker.' Undecided what to put with them... :-)

Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

They all sound great. Can someone add some photos? I am trying to design new beds.

Thanks!

(Debra) Garland, TX

linjasar, you can't see a lot of detail here. The tiny bed in the sidewalk strip has the two kinds of Gauras (three Crimson Butterfly and two lindheimeri) across the front on the street side, then two Sunset echinaceas behind flanking two Oranges and Lemons Gaillardia. At the back on the corners are two Lantana, with two Anouk Lavenders between them. Scattered in is a blue-eyed grass, some Plum Wine campanula, a Caryopteris "Sunshine Blue", and Cosmos that keeps reseeding itself.

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

This picture is from last year and the Echinaceas have filled in a lot more to stretch across the back just in front of the Iris. Iris' are a solid wall, now, too. The bed is shaped like a baseball diamond. Peachy and Sherbet-colored Daylilies at home plate to the pitcher's mound; East Friesland Salvia, variegated Liriope, and some Veronica along the base lines; Caryopteris "Summer Sorbet" and Blue Plumbago across the pitcher's mound; Artemsia "Powis Castle" at the foul poles, Echinacea "Magnus" in the outfield. and yellow and purple Iris in the bleachers.

Red Dianthus, Fescue "Elijah Blue," "Nutmeg" Thyme, English Thyme, "Orange Balsam" Thyme, "Archer's Gold" Thyme, "Provence" Lavender, and Lemon Thyme are lined up to the left of the third base line. (Still working on the outside of the first base line--it is REALLY really dry.)

Don't know if that helps, but it is always fun talking about it. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Upper Saint Clair, PA(Zone 6a)

Very nice, thank you!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi, everyone, I'm interested in adding some new varieties to the common purple one...where is a good source for them? I'm in the northern tip of Kentucky.

http://www.mcgperennials.com is my favorite source of the new varieties.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks--wow, what a great variety they have! Is it okay to plant in fall, due to the roasting hot temps right now? I'd hate for them to cook on their way here...

I planted some in the fall last year and they did ok.

Right now I grow mine in pots where I can shelter them from the afternoon sun. I will plant them in their permanent locations after they get older. You just have to gradually acclimate them to the heat and sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.