Caudiciform ID, please?

Lima, OH

Can someone put a name to this plant?
Thanks!

Sharon

Thumbnail by tervherd
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

sorry my mind went blank, it is in the Adeneium family I remember it because it has the thorns and I don't like plants with thorns, now if Melissa comes in she will know

Lima, OH

LOL! Thorns don't bother me much. I am usually on the C&S forum. I've been stuck by so many cactus thorns it's not funny. At least this Adeneium's thorns are easy to see so they are easier to avoid.

Thanks kareoke. I can wait for Melissa or whoever else might know.

Sharon

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

Fred?

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

I pondered and googled and still struck out. Nice plant though.

Decatur, GA

Off the top of my head it reminds me of a pachypodium. Though the leaves are very glossy.
Helen

Quote from helenchild :
Off the top of my head it reminds me of a pachypodium. Though the leaves are very glossy.
Helen

My thoughts exactly
Besides 'Fred' ;)

Lima, OH

Ok.....Fred is a good name, but Fred needs a last name too. There are an awful lot of Freds out there [G].

Sharon

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Pachypodium saundersii

Decatur, GA

I have what I thought was P.saundersii except that it bloomed white. The chart I looked at using flowers for ID pachypodiums showed P.saund. with yellow flowers. Any experts out there for clarification?
Thanks,
Helen

Lima, OH

Take a look here, Helen.....

http://www.aridlands.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2742&osCsid=novccsbta6jlvt3185jiglvpi7

The above is from the Arid Lands website. Note in it's description it is says the flowers are "white-purple". It also notes that the photo is of a "selected cultivar". So we may all be right because perhaps we are looking at different cultivars???

Sharon

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I have only seen P saundersii with white flowers... see my article here:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/539/

Decatur, GA

Great article. I am glad to get that straightened out. Thank you.
Helen

Providence, RI

I think it is a Pachyodium too... Always reminded me of a Crown of Thorns with a tendency to make a caudex... Does anyone know why this plant is called "Buddha's Curse"?

perhaps he sat on one?? :P

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the best laugh I've had all day, Malestrom!!!

Providence, RI

That's funny!

Port Elizabeth, South Africa(Zone 10a)

Thanks for the laugh, malestrom! Unexpected answer - good as any!LOL

8D

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Check this out from Google
http://www.lithops.net/pachypodium_saundersii_detail.htm
they also have them on ebay

Fort Wayne, IN

Perhaps..Pachypoduim Lealii v Saundersii

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Pachypodium lealii ssp saundersii is synonymous with Pachypodium saundersii, mentioned above.

I still like Fred :P

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

If it's P saundersii, it should be flowering right about now. White flowers with purplish blush or accents around the edges, especially around the base or edges of the unopened buds. The flower will help distinguish it definitively from P succulentum, which was an outside possibility in my mind when I saw the picture.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.