Keeping Track of Irises that You Have

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

So I've been bitten hard by the "Iris Fever" and, between the ones that I planted last year and ones I should be receiving soon, am up to around 140 and I see no end in sight (daughter even wants to grow "crops" of irises since DH is a crop farmer). I'm finding that the database on DG to be lacking in a lot of areas for my desire to catalog my new babies. Am I just missing something in being able to customize the DG pages? What do all of you use for record keeping? Is there any software out there designed for this use or do I just need to make up a spreadsheet myself on something like Excel?

I just purchased a Brother PT2100 and plan on labeling them all (metal markers now-expensive!) with an ID# in addition to their name. Any tips would be welcome.

Thanks in Advance!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I actually keep track of mine in four ways. A tag buried under the iris (plastic), the metal markers like you have, a notebook and index cards showing the location, and photos. For photos it really helps if you have other plants or garden ornamentation in there for a landmark.

I'll defer to others on the excell programs, as the above is all I use.

As I'm a commercial grower, I also have a 'cheat sheet', where is_____ so I know where to go to dig.

Kansas City, MO

The biggest mistake I made with my iris is I used tags that didn't last(faded, broke, or disappeared) that second year when I bought so many iris. I am still suffering consequences of that. Thought I knew what I was doing. The zinc tags are the best and it is sooooo prudent of you to be using those with the good labeling immediately. You will not regret the expense. The advice you have been given by Polly is right on. Mapping is good until you move something and forget to note that on the map, but mapping has been very helpful. I found a dead rhizome this year behind a zinc tag and considered the cultivar dead. What I did not know is that it had spread about 10-12 inches away from the tag over the 2 seasons I had it and it put up a gorgeous living stalk and I was totally surprised and relieved. So, mapping and labeling can only do so much with something that grows away from the original labeling and mapping notations. I had several bloom this year that had never bloomed before and I thought they were long gone. My original maps helped me to at least come up with a name to search for photos of the surprise bloom. Four year old invoices were even helpful. With the exceptionally mild spring there were oldies coming out of the woodwork. It was kind of fun but until something blooms you do not know for sure what you have, label or not. I gave away noids from an area last year and some that were labeled. The person I gave them to kindly shared some pics with me this spring when some of them bloomed and I was shocked as to what was in that bed that had never bloomed for me in 4 years of tending.They were given up for a loss in the 4 years since purchase, but were blooming for him. Laugh and the learn.

K

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Irisawe makes a really good point, save your invoices.

Gainesville, TX

the journal here on dave's helps, it has a place for location. I have just started mine, but it's going pretty good. Check it out if you like, keep in mind it is not complete.

I mark mine with p-touch heavy duty tape on 6 to 8 in section of metal or heavy vinyl window blind slats, you can cut them with garden scissors

Thumbnail by sharondippity
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Plantstep has some very useful, inexpensive software that covers iris, daylilies, hostas, roses and more. Customer service is fantastic. You deal directly with the developer of the program who is very quick to respond to questions, and who encourages suggestions to improve the product. Here's a link to the site.

http://www.plantstep.com/index.htm

Vail, AZ

I have created an access data base with all the pertinent data. You can even attach pictures.

Elba, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the ideas everyone! My old computer died a few weeks ago so finally got myself a brand new Dell. Got it all set up and started an Excel spreadsheet for my irises. Can you believe that the computer is dead!! It lasted exactly 2 weeks! Lost all my info, including photos from my newest irises & daughter's recent dance recital. Called them today and they are supposed to be sending someone out to collect the "guts" from the computer, mail them back and then send someone out to replace all the guts again. Figures that I'd get the lemon... Love computers WHEN they work the way they are supposed to!

Raleigh, NC

dancingbear, I use both an excel spreadsheet and a database program for computer tracking.

however, if you are this serious about irises, you should be joining the iris society, because this is the kind of question you can get answered by your iris society group. and as far as information goes, Bob Pries, an AIS director, has started an iris wiki to augment the iris registrar's electronic database. I found when I got serious about irises, the electronic membership to the iris registrar is an absolute MUST HAVE. Can't remember what it cost, but it's been a life saver and it wasn't that expensive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.