New Plants that dissapoint the second year.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Last year I ordered Baptisia Twilight Prairy Blues.
This is a GC plant but as its a slow grower I wasnt dissapointed in its first years no bloom performance.
The web picture was deep burgandy ,loved it.
I went to PF to see what other DG'ers were growing and was luke warm about the all-over Grey look of one of the blooms in the file.
I hoped mine would be darker.
This is the second year and the one and only bloom is not to my likeing.
It might need more sun than it gets so ,much as I hate to do this I will move it to another spot.
They really dont like to be transplanted.I'll take my chances.
Gardening involves a bit of risk.Right?

Thumbnail by ge1836
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do right? I have this one too and it is not what I would call a dark purple, more of a smokey purple/red violet color. It will probably sulk but if it needs moving sooner is better than later. They have a tap root so dig deep.
After all it is what you like and pleases you that works in the garden I think. I will post a pic.
I have three cimicifuga 'Black Beauty' I think is the cultivar, that has struggled for four or five years. This spring I finally got them moved and they are doing much better. The new location has a bit more sun and less competition from tree roots. I will also be able to get it watered when there is a rain shortage later in the season. Also I will be able to get a sniff of the fragrant white flowers better too. I have them in back of sedum 'Autumn Joy' and I like the combo very much already.

Thumbnail by ngam
Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Here is a pic of the cimicifuga in their new location shortly after I moved them.

Thumbnail by ngam
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks Pat
I think mine would be the same color as yours when it gets its legs under and really takes off.
I had a late blooming white Baptisia for years and was bummed out when I tried to move it to the new house. 10 years in the spot,tap root from hell.I never did get it out of there.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i thought cimicifuga was a shade plant - mine is in heavy shade location and has not done well.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I have a Rosaea in Late day half day sun and its happy.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I thought the same thing Bill but it just was not happy. I have looked it up again and found it listed from full sun to deep shade depending on the site, but the most used sun exposure was part sun to light shade. It already is happier in the new location I think. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/86960/

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i looked it up again right after i posted pat - will have to move it to see how it does, may pick up a couple more if it improves.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Monarda and Yarrow, after a couple years not too happy with them, I may be yanking them all

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Yarrow can get away from you.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Loves to travel, that's for sure.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I would not be able to yank all my yarrow! It's like dandelions in the front ... I don't really mind, so far.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Oxe eye Daisies, they are way more wild than I want where I planted them. Any suggestions for a white flower that blooms the same time?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We have a wild daisy here that grows everywhere. Its not pretty after bloom.I'm thinkin Round-up if it ever stops raining.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Echinacea, Salvia

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

ge: I, too, was disappointed with Baptisia Prarie Blues. My cimicifuga, though, is in a quite shaded location and is doing well in its third year. I've started a generic Baptisia from seed this year, so far so good, we'll see how it does next year.

Flowerjen, I echo your dissatisfaction with monarda. Mine have puny blossoms and seem hardly worth the bother, but yarrow, echinacea and salvia are doing pretty well.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I've had less than stellar success with monarda as well. There was no mildew problem.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i have a problem with some "special" monarda and mildew - this is the second year and all started out great - one now is on life support - i have included them on my fungus spraying rounds.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

They really need air flow.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I have monarda I can't get rid of!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Monarda does well in krappy soil. Its parents were wild and a patch of wild red monarda in a green field almost made me pass out.
I will give my Prairy Blues 1 more year to really bloom. If its a grey bloom - out it goes-.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

my wild red monarda does well and wants to take over - never any problems with mildew

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had to yank all my monarda out it had some kind of black funk on the stems and the inner leaves adjacent to the stem were browning...I hope whatever it was doesn't spread to any of my other plants.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I like the look of Monarda in a bigger garden than I have.

Thomaston, CT

I yanked out what I thought was all of the monarda, but I see it's sprouting again! Meredith, try Husker's Red penstemon...has a white bloom....to replace the daisies. It's hardy to zone 4, tall, & has delicate bells.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Ooh good idea! Thanks, I have some of those, I could move them there. The only thing is mine are rather small. My friend has some and they are like three times the size of mine and hers are newer planted than mine. I don't know what's wrong with the ones I have.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Last years wet weather was hard on any plant that leans toward fungal problems. My phlox and monarda required the milk spray treatment more than once last season. They both need good air flow to dry the morning dew as Victor said. They all look okay so far this year. Now if the ground hog will stop trimming the phlox for me they will look good this year.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
I like the look of Monarda in a bigger garden than I have.

Exactly! But when I pull one up, two more grow to replace it. If I DIG them up, DH replants them elsewhere.

Thomaston, CT

If that groundhog touched my phlox, he would get a faceful of airedale teeth. Or maybe not, as he would rather bite people. The next door neighbors used to have Cairn terriers, & the male would go right down the chuck burrow after them.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Thats the Terriers job Marilyn.Its amazing how instincts just never go away.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm glad we don't have a dog as I don't really like them and my little girl is TERRIFICALLY allergic to dogs, cats, guinea pigs, everything, But I wish we could borrow one to take car of the pests, which are getting out of hand.

Thomaston, CT

My dog IS the pest! You're right, Jo.....terriers go to ground, mine loves my flower beds best.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.