SCREEN NAMES AND REAL NAMES FOR THOSE ON THIS FORUM

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Great fun and great people. Reckon paying dues make everyone appreciate everyone else more?LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I think it's the AUP - acceptable use policy - infringements of which are just NOT TOLERATED period. Whatever it is, I like it here. I never went to that nasty other place.

Me neither. LOL DG is actually the only place I've ever posted ... until...

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

DG is the only place that's logical.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie thats the truth. I'd never heard of DG untill someone who belongs to both, e-mailed me and suggested i try here. and the rest is history.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I like your history, Vickie! ^_^

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

ME TOO!!!

(Tracey) Mobile, AL(Zone 8b)

I'm new to this "Accessible Gardening" forum.. but I thought I might participate here, if that it okay.

Daisylovn = Tracey

I01,

When I saw Waaaay Down South, GA.. I immediately thought "Waycross, GA" lol.

Tracey

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Of course it's ok, Tracey, and welcome!

;)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Tracey, there are a few more newcomers on this thread if you want to join in (or lurk).
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1118533/#new

Midland City, AL

Sansai87=Nadine

Sansai means 'mountain vegetable' or 'Wild Food' and I love hunting down wild food like Gherkins (which I've found wild around here) and blackberries. I'm a bit of a foodie... Okay, I'm a major foodie.

Midland City, AL

Sansai87=Nadine (a.k.a.--Nadine, the Frog Queen, the Purple Princess, BRAT!)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

So Nadine, you're not another noxious weed like kudzu and seacane?

Midland City, AL

Hey! I didn’t post that second Sansai entry! One of Amargia’s noxious weeds is making sure I remember to logout next time when I’m finished on DG. Hm-m-m, now which one is always calling me “brat”. No Sherlock Holmes needed to solve this mystery. Seacane is a particularly noxious weed, don’t you think? lol. I’ve learned how to turn off and adjust the adaptive equipment on the house computer to suit me. I like using it now. I had to have the hard drive/memory pack replaced on my BRAND NEW laptop. It is up and running again. It didn’t cost me anything became accustom to this computer while it was down though. You can choose your own voice and level of magnification. I can use this system without my glasses.
I manage to put my own twist on that strange Amargia tradition of weedy screen names. A case could be made that many sansai, like blackberries, are noxious weeds. Kudzu could even be considered sansai because you can eat the young leaves and flowers. A thickener can be made from the powdered root that is like arrowroot powder. Dandelions can make a good healthy tea.
Obesity is epidemic for people my age. Doctors are now seeing diabetes and high blood pressure in children and teenagers with no family history of those conditions. I think we’ve bred plants for taste, particularly our sweet tooth, so long that even fruits and vegetables aren’t as healthy as they once were. I believe re-introducing wild plants and heirloom vegetables into our diet it could help. Not to mention its tastier, wild plants usually have a better taste, for example blackberries in the store are huge and have a watered down taste while the blackberries in the swamp are small and have a taste worth getting eaten up by bugs over. I’ve decided to live at Amargia and be my own lab rat.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Nadine, I think it's more to do with our society's reliance on High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), wheat flour that is stripped of all nutrients and easy-to-store saturated fats - lard, palm oil, etc. occurring in PROCESSED FOOD, not innocent plants.

Although it's true, they have bred roses with bigger, longer lasting, more petals that never fully open AND don't have a fragrance or thorns because they're easier to pack and ship that way. But not the roses they sell us as plants. These babies are grown in equatorial regions around the world, auctioned in Holland and then shipped to the U.S. through Miami to high end florists.

Midland City, AL

Yes, that is basically what my doctor says. He agrees that fruits and veggies probably don’t have the vitamin and mineral content they once did. He also said that is like being concerned about the skinned knees you got in the fall when you broke your arm. True, but not the problem that needs immediate attention.
I’m in that growing American category of “overfed, but undernourished.” I’m just tired of choking down iron and vitamin supplements and still failing the doctor’s blood test. Lol.
Hope your anniversary bash was a blast! ~Nadine~

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

I'm easy to remember:

RickCorey_WA = Rick Corey.

I answer to "Rick" or to "Corey".

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Welcome, Rick!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

And Rick, welcome to Dave's Garden!

Syracuse, NY

garyon=Grayson
I'm new to this forum.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Grayson,

Welcome! Come join us on the other threads. If you want to talk about gardening in around-over-above physical challenges, or just want to have a place to vent frustration, this is the place. :-)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1135073/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1095823/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1118441/

Debra
lovemyhouse

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gotcha, Grayson. Welcome.

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

mableruth = Eleanor

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Welcome, Eleanor!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Carrie-- You can count me in! Tplant = Ted

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

sansia87 My grand daughter is studying to be a holistic doctor and the more she learns the more she sounds just like you. When I was a kid there just was not the sweet things available. Nor the take outs and quick "meals". The only fast food place really was White Castle and we only went there when my dad got a raise. To celebrate! Another factor is that alot of us no longer have the vegetable gardens that they had back then. The back yards in most suburbs just do not have the room for that. Well I am grouching about something I cannot even fix. Sorry.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Eleanor, that's Nadine - Nadine, meet Eleanor.

Midland City, AL

Hi, Elenor! Yes, the "overfed, but undernourished" problem in people my age worries more than a few of us. I think you and Carrie are right. It probably has as much, if not more to do with new eating habits than with a lack of nutrients in grocery store veggies. I've started looking more closely at labels, high fructose corn syrup does show up in unexpected places. You would think food processors would avoid that because of possible allergic reactions. Corn is one of those foods a high percentage of people are allergic to,.
I still think organically grown veggies and wild fruits taste the best. My generation may be a little spoiled when it comes to taste. We should probably be called the Foodie Generation. :-) ~Nadine~

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

carrielamont thank you for the greeting! Isn't it interesting how sometimes we - or at least I - often feel like some of my very best friends are right here on DG and I do not even know their real names! My problem is that I forget which screen names belong to what real name.

Well I do not know what qualifications it takes to be a foody - but I do love to eat. Unfortunatly I love sweets best. I am convinced that the lack of gardens has some,thing to do with the problem. Moms do not stay home and tend the garden then bake cookies. They really have to work, and I also think that most suburban yards are too small for anyone to grow their own produce. I feel out of place in this new world.

Midland City, AL

I think everyone does. Things are changing so fast. I feel left behind sometimes and I'm only 23 lol. There's a line in one of the Alice in Wonderland books that says something about running as fast as you can in order to stay where you are. (I can't remember the exact words.) But, that describes the way I feel sometimes.
Japanese music, clothes and pop culture being popular seems normal to me. But, my grandfather fought in Okinawa in WWII. Seeing one of his GCs wearing a t-shirt with a kanji symbol on it or hearing us sing a Japanese pop song seemed odd to him at first. Now, he smiles, shakes his head and says, "Am I remembering things right? We did win that war, didn't we? lol. ~Nadine~

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

That is interesting. You are only 23? I am 65! When i was a girl we did not have either a TV or a phone. We played outside all day. When I was playing outside all day I just found something to eat when I got hungry. We had many different kinds of fruit and some veggies. Kids now do not even know that grass hoppers can spit! A real treasure trove of information I am! Can you even imagine a world with no computers? No cell phone? No TV or TV with only channnels 5, 9, and 32? Neither can I. I love that quote. It describes the feeling perfectly.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's from the caucus race, isn't it? which joke I didn't get until I reread the book as an adult! But yes, and now that some of us have trouble running, running as fast as we can to keep up is even harder.

Syracuse, NY

Forward, backward, inward, outward
Come and join the chase!
Nothing could be drier
Than a jolly caucus-race.
Backward, forward, outward, inward
Bottom to the top,
Never a beginning There can never be a stop
To skipping, hopping, tripping
Fancy free and gay,
I started it tomorrow and will finish yesterday.
Round and round and round we go
And dance for evermore,
Once we were behind
But now we find we are
Forward, backward, inward, outward,
Come and join the chase!
Nothing could be drier than a jolly caucus-race.

Lewis Carrol, Alice in Wonderland

Garyon

Bolingbrook, IL(Zone 5a)

Thank you garyon

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

And of course in the story they were wet from swimming in her tears, right? But he was really, i think, commenting on politics.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Sounds like politics today,yesterday and tomorrow.Which is much better than a dictatorship.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

We should move to another thread, but yes, it's WAY better than all the others, but it IS like politics.

Midland City, AL

To "Compassion.." or "Still Laughing" I go. Not many "Practical Matters..." to consider until it gets warmer.
I loved the Dodo's musings, but the quote I was thinking about is in “Through the Looking Glass.” Said the Queen. “Now, here, you see, it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place. If you want to get somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!”
No, Eleanor. I can’t imagine life without computers. Because I CAN imagine how long it would have taken me to find the location of the above quote without a computer. lol. The creation of the web has got to rank as one of humanities most awesome achievements. I use it on the job, for class work, for play and for socializing with friends.
My father was a holdout when it came to home computers. He thought a computer at home hindered the development of a child’s physical and social skills. After he started having to use a wheelchair to get around when I was a teenager, he embraced computers wholeheartedly.
BTW, I didn’t know grasshoppers spit. You can learn something new every day on DG. :-) ~Nadine~

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.