I need clematis for shade! Help!

Roswell, NM

Has anyone tried growing nelly moser, silver moon, or hagley clematis in shade? They say they take some shade but I don't want to plant them and risk them not blooming.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

How much shade do you have? I tried Silver Moon in a shady spot, a while ago, and it very quickly got wilt. Doesn't mean it'll happen to you, but I had very bad luck with clems until I started getting group 3's -- viticella hybrids and integrifolias -- and since then have had great success everywhere, and keep finding more spots to tuck them in. I have to deal with a lot of shade here. I have Hagley Hybrid in a spot where it's getting only a few hours of morning sun; that's the only group 3 on your list. It's new for me, but seems to be doing well, setting buds, and came out of its first winter great. Blue Angel is another one that I've got in shady spots and it's very successful. It does depend on how much sun, and what kind of sun. And of course your climate will be much different from mine. But in general with clems and shade, I've learned to look for the cultivars that are notorious for being extremely vigorous. If someone somewhere has complained about a clem that gets too big too fast, that's the one I want to put in my shady spot. It will find a way to get the sun on itself, somewhere, throughout the day.

Elsewhere people have linked to Chalk Hill's clem list for shade. I think it's still up, though they've shut down. And someone like Debbie at Silverstar Vinery would be a good person to ask for suggestions.

Roswell, NM

Thanks for the suggestions! I'm pretty ignorant about this--what are group 3s?

Group 3s are clemmies that need to be hard pruned at the end of each winter - i.e., pruned down nearly to the ground so that all new wood can grow for each season. To find out which pruning group a clem is, Clematis On the Web is a wonderful source, but you'd have to know the name of the clem first.

Dayton, TN(Zone 7a)

I have fireworks in a very shady wooded area and it bloomed this spring for about 4 weeks. Beautiful. They recevd about 4 hrs of dappled evening sun.

Thumbnail by sisdj

I planted a group 1 clematis, C. Tage Lundell, at the base of my Rose of Sharon. It is in deep shade nearly all the time and grows like a weed.

Russell, ON(Zone 5a)

I had a 'Veronica's Choice' in deep shade, and it bloomed, but sparsely. My alpina 'Constance' (image here) does very well with very little light in the morning.

Thumbnail by a5footsea

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.