overnight infestation?

Pearland, TX

Hello,

I had posted earlier about some fungus in my mulberry tree...Now, my other mulberry tree seems to have some nasty bug infestation. I'm pretty sure it happened in 24 hrs. I don't know what these are, but they move fast. Two branches were covered in what looked like a "bug net" full of these larvae...
Can anyone help identifying and with advice to treat them?

Thanks!!!

Thumbnail by max100
(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Nasty, nasty tent caterpillers. I get them in my crabapples every year. You can treat it with a pesticide spray or cut out the bad part and burn it.

Someone else may have a better solution.

Pearland, TX

Thanks!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

looks like gypsy moths. put a tent over the infected branch, cut it off and burn it

Fredericksburg, VA(Zone 7a)

Yup, once they have formed their tent you can only do as jordankittyjo suggest. You can try to spray next year as a preventative measure. Mark your calendar for when you first saw this and spray a couple weeks before and after rain to try and alleviate them.

Crystal

Sinks Grove, WV

These look more like webworms in the genus Hyphantria (Lepidoptera: Arctiidae). See http://tinyurl.com/27zeeq for detailed information including control recommendations.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

here in Tennessee we call them Catobby worms we fish with them good for croppy, bass, brim, about every thing but the trees . once you see them its realy to late so removal is the best and eather fish with them or burn them is the best thing . sorry

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.