Where to buy Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) in Connecticut

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Anyone know where to buy BT in Connecticut? I can order it online - but I need it now.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Bacillus thuringiensis var israelensis can be had as mosquito dunks wherever they are sold - which would be at a wide variety of retailers.

Al

Does that mean I can dissolve a mosquito dunk and spray my wasp infested gooseberries with the spray?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Why would you want to kill the wasps, which are beneficial? From what I can see, wasps are a non-target group anyway.

Al

It is a specific fruit wasp that is killing my gooseberry and I posted on the fruit forum and they suggested Sevin - so BT was the kinder alternative. I have lost almost all my fruit and parts of the bush. :(

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Sorry I don't have a better suggestion of something you could try, but my understanding is the same as Al's that Bt won't work against the wasps.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I'm pretty sure that Bt is only effective against caterpillar type things. I once found it a ACE, and a KMart, but haven't looked lately. Mine is labeled "Thuricide", made by Bonide.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

It also works on many types of larvae, but unfortunately not on wasp larvae (as far as I know)

:(

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

YankeeCat...

If you're going after "worms" you'll want to get Bt "kurstaki" variety. The liquid form, as catmad said, is known as Thuricide. The powdered form is sold as Dipel. Both products are usually available and the box stores, garden centers, etc.

I doubt the wasps are giving you troubles, usually any wasp around gooseberries are predator wasps, eating "bad" bugs. I think you're being plagued with gooseberry fruitworm, or perhaps current worms, both of which can be controlled with Bt (or Sevin, if you choose). Anything you see flying around that resembles a fly is the adult form, a moth, not a wasp.

Even though you may have lost most of your fruit I'd recommend going ahead and dust or spray to zap any stragglers that will grow into adults, starting the life cycle all over again.

Hope this is helpful.
Shoe

The person helping me did say worm - I'm easily confused. Thank you so much, Shoe. I will go to the Big Box on my lunch hour with your list. How long do I have to wait to pick the gooseberries after I dust them - I want to make jam.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

There won't be a waiting period with Bt, it doesn't harm warm-blooded animals (us!) nor does it have an secondary or tertiary effects (for example if an infected worm is eaten by a bird the bird is not affected).

If you have any ripe fruit I'd pick it then spray or dust the plants. You can store whatever you pick in the freezer until you can pick more and get enough for jam and such and it won't affect the texture or flavor of the jam.

Whew...my tomato sammich is gone so back out to work I go!

Pulling for ya, YankeeCat! Hope all goes well!

Shoe

I'm having trouble finding the Thuricide or Dipel. I looked at big boxes on the internet and went to an upscale nursery at lunch. Maybe I should just order on line and wait for delivery. Sigh

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Y-Cat...Go here
http://www.gardens.com/go/browse/gardencenters/Connecticut/

It should bring up local garden centers in your area. With that info you may be able to give them a call and pick up what you need on the way home.

Shoe

I got some at agway last night and sprayed. Found out that it attacked my currants, too. :( They are all gone.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, at least you know the cause of the problem(s) now.

And on a good note, now that you have the spray you are prepared for future outbreaks as well.

Sorry to hear of your loss. As for me, I wish Bt would work on squirrels! They get more of my fruit than I do.

Best,
Shoe

Yeah - they got all the strawberries - except for the alpines. Guess they are too small to bother with.

Just an update - the BT spray is working really well on the leafy greens!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.