June 2010

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

Well, I don't feel well for while that I mow front yard and back yard half different spots then later on it cool down I mow again...

I was looking at the hawk's nest my own tree and there is 2 babies hawk and trying to take pixs not good to see it...

Weather will be hot today will be up to 90* with maybe raining....

Took this hostas on May 20... It bigger I ever seen...

Thumbnail by JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I gonna to dig out the hostas apart and it crowd together...
I put different spot in bedding area...
I don't know if I damage to the hosta's root...

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

I'm not the only one awake so late I see! I've been standing outside my friend's elderly mother's door, trying to keep her from yelling and waking my friend so much that she'll have to come home from work early again, tired. She woke her up again a minute ago, yelling some make-believe, like the house is "sinking and filling up with raw sewage" and other make-believe.

Nice arrangement of Hostas there, Rusty.
I came across a bird's nest too recently, I think it upset the mother so much or something she quit coming around. One day I looked and there was only one little baby bird in it. I don't know if the other baby bird flew off or what, but unfortunately the one that was left was dead.
I doubt if you damaged the Hosta much, Rusty, they are very tough! : )

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Hey let your friends know that Japense Yews cuttings will kill cows. I had a friend who's neighbor dumped their trimmings and 15 cows and calves died.

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

allan, thank you for the info on the peony cuttings, I know people who have started roses from cuttings and had great success, I myself have not tried it.

Didn't know that about cows and yews. I don't have cows or yews but good to know.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info Allan!!

Our greenhouse at work goes down tomorrow. We still have plants and quite a few of them but not very many annuals. So it goes down and the remainder goes on green carts or pallets.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm just popping in to say I feel better, but it's getting dark and is going to rain real good. I'll talk later

Rusty, thanks for the new thread! I'm so glad I found it in the first place because I sure miss you guys when I'm gone. I really hope you get to feeling better.

I have to go out and watch the storm come in. I'm so excited! We need the rain!

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Billy - Glad you're feeling better. I hope you got that rain yesterday. We had 90+ degrees and high humidity but no rain. It's supposed to rain later today and/or tonight. I hope so. We need it. After all the complaining I've been doing about too much rain, now I want it to rain. he, he.

Allan - Thanks for the info on yews and cows. Didn't know that. And for the info about taking peony cuttings.

Pepper - Maybe a stupid question, but what do you mean when you say the rest of the plants go on green carts or pallets? What are green carts?

Rusty - I hope you're feeling better. That heat can really get to ya. Your hostas are pretty - love the blue one on the left! Hostas are pretty tough. I'm sure they will survive the transplant. How neat that you have a hawk's nest in your tree!

Speaking of birds' nests, my son in Phoenix found a mourning dove nest on top of the fire extinguisher outside his apartment door. There are two babies in the nest now. Here's a photo he sent yesterday.

Thumbnail by ImaMes
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Rusty, hosta are so tough, I'll bet they moved just fine and will take off growing.

Will, you certainly earn your money.

Allan, what a loss! I hope they had livestock insurance. I didn't know yews were poison either.

Pepper, just like that the buying flurry is over. I'll bet it would get pretty hot in there if you didn't take it down.

ImaMes, we got 7/10'' and I'll take it! My astilbe were on the verge of wilt and they start blooming this month. It was supposed to rain today too, but gee, the sun is out. We have mosquitos really bad. I haven't even set foot out today. I'll have to get out and dig a few iris later. I'll wear pants and sleeves :o)

Aren't those baby doves cute! I've seen the mess their nest makes in a tree, because it seems to fall apart easily, and I can see it isn't much of one. I'm glad I got to see it!

DH has been keeping the garden watered and hoed. I couldn't have kept up if he hadn't beeen helping.

rural Hughesville, MO(Zone 5b)

We have two baby coons living in my garden's tree line.
Hopefully I can get them relocated to a shelter before my Afghan Hounds play with them.
I have a grand bunch of red raspberries coming on.
In the garden we've planted corn, green beans, toamtoes, etc and working on weeding skills.

Thumbnail by lineace

Hi lineace, I haven't heard from you in awhile! Aww... little baby raccoons, so cute, yet they'll make such a mess of everything..lol I think I've heard of more warnings against trying to handle or domesticate raccoons more than anything.
Earn my money, billyp? Much more on some days than others. Many days she won't have anything to do with me. A couple days ago she was "going to have the sheriff come and get me"! Yet today, she'll take her meds from me and is pretty nice, most days she has the outgoing aide give her the meds that I'm supposed to give her.
I got a photo of myself standing on The Golden Gate Bridge! Well, we know it handles 160 lbs.! I also got a photo of my ditch lilies from happ, they are blooming good!
The red Lily from Pepper is about to bloom in a few days.
It rained and stormed here this morning. I'm not sure how much it was, I am guessing at least an inch. I hope all this rain helps everybody's allergies.
Will

Thumbnail by shortleaf

My Ditch Lilies from happ blooming! : )

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Lineace, adorable, but not for me!

Will, you're lucky to not be the only one taking care of her. If she really refused to let you come near, well, what a mess that would be! What a good picture of you! That's a sturdy bridge alright! I really like it! I think Ditch lilies are pretty!

I spent some time outside, but the skeeters really ruined the day. I could have done some mowing, but I'd like another day to get over my sinus. I could have had a nap this afternoon, and I thought I was all caught up on sleep.

shortleaf you are so funny, you are the only person I know excited about ditch lilies. If you want more I can bring alot more to the ru for you....I have lots....LOL

On vacation today rained last night and up until about 7am and it was cool in the am so I started on the garden room west wall and got it weeded and mulched and picked strawberries. I have picked a ton of strawberries, they are not huge but really juicy. Then on to the west side of the house and picked some more strawberries and weeded and worked on the pond.....then on to the next flower bed and weeded, then to another bed and weeded and finally got to plant some plants in an old wheel barrell, doesn't look like much yet but I think it will be nice later. If I had a week off I might get something done or fall over...LOL

lineacre, are your raspberries doing good? Do you know the name? That is my next adventure I think. I want blackberries, raspberries, and maybe some grapes. I love fresh fruit.

Question guys, went to my Moms, who lives in an apartment but there is a house next to the apartments and this little sweet lady wanted me to look at her iris cause they weren't doing so good. I guess not, she has iris bores. I think it is too late to spray so I started cutting the leaves back until I saw all green, no sign of bores eating. Now the question, will that hurt the iris? I figured the bore would hurt the iris more than cutting the leaves short.....some are really short like a couple of inches tall....anyone have any experience with this. She wants to mulch but I read that is not a good idea, she wants mulch because it is too hard for her to weed......

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

On the iris: After all blooms done and I do cut short and mulch that way bore won't get in iris roots... I use pine mulch to keep the bugs out...

This message was edited Jun 2, 2010 7:14 PM

Thanks billyp,
likewise your photo a while back was good too!
Ironically, Skeeter is the name of one of my jewel of a patient's 2 cats.
Yeah, mosquitoes are so dastardly! I think they come straight from the bowels of Hades!
I keep an aerosol can of mosquito repellent by the front door at the ready!
Funny about Biglots current bridge, now it only has one railing, where ours has 2.
The railings make it harder to understand the assembly at first. I wish this one only had one railing across it. The railings are curved. I'm glad whoever designed it made everything fit good!
Yeah, I've always liked Ditch Lilies too! I counted 54 buds on that clump, I think theres gonna be lots of flowers!
My Mom has Ditch Lilies around the trunk of a big Pin Oak tree, but they've never bloomed.
We are thinking its because they get no sun. Especially after seeing my one clump flower so profusely, I am convinced also its because of no sun for her. She had planned to move them. I mentioned how you can never get them all, like happ says too.
She says she is pretty sure she can move them okay. My Ditch Lilies are getting much sun right now. I'll prolly put it in the front yard on the pedestal so all can see it pretty soon!
Glad your feeling better billyp. My runny nose and all has finally gone away. Get well soon, Rusty, allergy and sinus troubles do stink.

Haha! Thanks, yeah, happ, I tell you, I love me a Ditch-Lily! : ) Oh, no thanks, I will let this pot do the multiplying for me. : ) I hope your able to help your friend, those Iris borers do sound nasty!
My family reunion is coming up, geez, I get to see all the cousins who are doing much better than me! Hey, I got my hair tho! I saw one bald cousin (younger than me of course), a doctor, looking up at my full head of hair!
Will

This message was edited Jun 3, 2010 7:53 PM

Will, the green carts I mentioned are metal carts painted green that are on wheels. They have 3 tiers on them and we use them to hold plants when the greenhouse is down or when we don't have room on the sidewalk for more plants. They are about 6 feet long probably. We have 3 of them and usually use them all.

Hi lineace!! Long time no hear or see!! :~)

Irises usually don't like mulch cause it will cause them to rot. But you can try a thin layer and see what happens. Maybe mulch heavily around the border of the irsies. Cutting the leaves back won't hurt them at all and in fact anytime after they are done blooming is a good time to cut them back. It helps the bulbs get fed instead of the leaves.

Had softball pratice tonight with some of my coworkers. We all did much better today!! The only bad thing is we had to go out to a different place and field and pratice. There was tall grass all around the outside of the field and of course the good hitters kept hitting the balls out there. At one point we had 5 balls out in the grass on 3 sides and we had to walk around trying to find them. The grass is about knee high so you can imagine how hard that was. lol. We finally found em all but had to leave and go take showers cause we were itching so much!!

My first lilies are blooming today!! I will have to get pics tomorrow. A bright yellow one.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, the ditch lilies would look great planted near the bridge!

Happ, all that work and nothing shows? I don't believe it! Do you freeze your extra strawberries?

I agree with Rusty. I never thought about pine needles tho. They don't seem to be available here.

I would spray the cuts and tuber with Malathian. Once the borers get any size to them, they are very hard to kill. In July, or when ever it's time there, dig and soak in a bit of Clorox water. The borers usually float to the top to get away. I cut them with scissors for a quick death.

Will, I don't know. I think a bridge needs two railings. I'd have to see it without one. I'd say you are a psychiatrist now, and you dabble in bridge building. Then go hit the food before anyone can ask questions, LOL!! Yep, you got a nice head of hair!

Pepper, laughing over baseball practice. Just think how good you will be on a real field! I think catching would be my downfall.

It's a nice day to get the mowing done. Groceries this morn and mow after it dries up. Oooh, breakfast now. I'm starved!

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Lineace - Those baby raccoons are so cute! Too bad raccoons are such a nuisance. I hope you can get them relocated. You might try contacting your local Conservation agent. They usually have live traps and know where to relocate the animals.

Will - Nice picture of you on the bridge. If that's the Golden Gate Bridge, then you must be the Jolly Green Giant! LOL I agree with Billy - two rails look better than just one. And some ditch lilies would look nice there. The bridge looks great!
BTW - I like ditch lilies too. Last year I asked my friend for some when she was clearing an area on her farm. I asked her for about 20-25 and she gave me about 50-60! Guess she wanted to get rid of them. LOL I put some out by the road (the deer ate some of those, so I sprayed them and now they're budding), and some on the edge of the woods in my backyard. Some of those are in some shade and are not blooming, but the ones in sun are starting to bloom. Yay! Maybe in a few years when they take over I'll want to get rid of them, too. LOL I do hope the ones by the road take over. That's why I planted them there.

Billy - Glad you got some rain. We got 6/10" last night. I'll take that, too! I don't have as much trouble with mosquitoes as I do with chiggers. Man, they eat me up! But I remember when we lived in WI the mosquitoes were really bad. Maybe they are worse farther north than where we are.
Thanks for the tip on iris borers. I haven't had problems with them (yet?), but it's good to know what to do if and when I do. Cutting them with scissors sounds yucky, but effective!

Happ - Sounds like you got a lot done on your vacation day! Isn't that a great feeling? Strawberries, yum! I'll take juicy over big any day!
I don't have any experience with iris borers, but I do know that mulching irises is not a good idea. At least, not covering the rhizomes with bark mulch. Maybe pine straw is light enough to let the air circulate better. We don't have pine straw around here. I mulched mine one year and they began to rot (it was a wet Spring), so I ended up having to remove the mulch to let them dry out. Now I mulch only in-between the plants to try to keep the weeds down.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ImaMes, there's nothing prettier than a country drive and coming on a large patch of ditch lilies. I think they'll settle in and do just fine. The scissors is the most humane, I think. I can't bear to try and step on them. They get pretty big! The older I get, the more I can't, just kill bugs. That's how I mulch iris too, if they are in a place I can't avoid mulching them. Lately, most of my mulch has broken down. The way I move plants around, I think I'll save my money. Only mulch the bleeding hearts because they are so touchy to move.

It's a gorgeous day and the aspirin is taking care of the sinus headache. I'm looking forward to mowing later. The grass was really wet this morning.

My coffee is gone, so I better get ready to go out pretty soon.

Have a good day all!

Rusty, hope you're better!

thanks for the ideas and suggestions about the iris bores. I had read you should dig up the rhizones and soak in bleach but since these aren't mine and my time is limited I was trying to find an effective way to get rid of the bores before they eat everything! I spent way too long helping which I don't mind but only so many hours in a day.

Planted glads today a bit late but as early as everything is blooming around here I might have something in bloom in Aug...LOL I have iris still in bloom, a wee bit of peonies, daylilies starting, lilies starting, and supria iris (first year for these hybrids). Isn't it awfully early for daylilies? It is just the first of June....oh yeah I have buds on mums starting to open. I don't cut mine back for fall bloom, it seems to me if I let them do their thing I don't lose them during the winter like I use to. Planted a few pots and still have lots to plant.

I have ditch lilies along our driveway, around poles, around drainage ditch, just about anywhere it is a pain to mow....LOL I have never had deer eat them, or there are so many that I can't tell...LOL They do like sun, I have some hybrid daylilies around a tree and they do bloom, but not as much as some others.

Will she can move the ditch lilies but they will return around the tree. Can't tell you the number of times we have dug up a whole patch to start somewhere else and they always return......the first hybrid daylily I bought I thought it would act the same way so I planted it out all by itself and waited....rofl.....

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Billy - I agree! I love to drive in the country and see the ditch lilies along the road. I hope that's what mine will look like someday.

Good idea, Happ! When my ditch lilies get too thick, I'll start putting them where we don't want to mow. LOL I think the deer ate mine because they're young and tender. This is the first year for them, so they're all small plants.

It does seem early for daylilies. My Stellas have been blooming for a few days, and now some of my other hybrids are beginning to bloom, too. The ditch lilies all have buds and a few have opened in the last day or so.

I still have some things to plant, too, but they'll have to wait till next week because we're going to help our son move this weekend. I'm glad I have a good friend who is willing to come and water everything for me while I'm gone!

You can bury ditch lilies in 10 feet of hard clay and they will still come back. We learned that the hard way. LOL.

I have Orientials and Asiatics blooming or getting ready to bloom now but my daylilies haven't put on buds yet so I'm good there.

Yellow Asiatics blooming.

Thumbnail by pepper23

Thanks Pepper but it wasn't me that wanted to know
about the green carts. : ) They do sound valuable tho.

Haha! A psychiatrist!? I feel like one sometimes! I've been running
interference for my friend, so her Mom will wake her up less on work nights.
I just sit in a chair in the hall waiting for
when she yells her daughter's name, I'll answer "she's asleep, is there
anything I can do to help?". Oh, that makes
her mad! She'd have her daughter up all nite on week-nights if she could,
she don't care, she never knows the time, even if you tell her.
Last nite, she told me, when I was running interference, that
"she'd mutilate me so bad I wouldn't even be recognizable as
the S.O.B. that I am"..lol Remember, she is 85, blind and bed-ridden.
You know how some animals will try to make themselves seem bigger
than they really are? I had a cat that would do that, run at another
cat and make a sudden hacking sound, it would startle whoever she did it to..lol
Well, I think my friend's Mom does something like that now. Yesterday, I was talking to my
friend across the hall from her Mom's room and I guess her Mom could hear me. Next, I hear these sounds come from in there, it sounded like a pack of jackals. I told my
friend "I guess she's getting ready to whoop me!" lol. Bless her heart.
We don't talk mean or anything to her. Sorry, I know I talk
about my dealings with her all the time, really, if anybody doesn't
think its right to babble about something not
related to plants I'd understand. : )

Ok, its not REALLY The Golden Gate Bridge..lol
The Jolly Green Giant! haha! Ditch Lilies by that bridge eh?
Maybe I'll do that, they'd get sun there, thats for sure!
Railings wouldn't be so bad on the assembly of the bridge if you
had a second person to hold them while other stuff is
being put together!

I do got me a full head
of hair, it is turning salt and pepper now though! lol

The photo below is of my Mom's Ditch Lilies a while back,
in early May one year, they prolly weren't ready to bloom yet then.
But, they look like that ALL the time, they never bloomed!
She asked if I want some more, I might get more.

Remember those cattails that I got from the road-side?
They are about 8 feet tall now! I'll try to remember
to get a photo of them. The before and after photos
of them is pretty neat..lol
Will

This message was edited Jun 3, 2010 10:46 PM

This message was edited Jun 4, 2010 12:45 AM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, just let them go. In July, she could maybe dig them, clean them and just replant three apiece. The borers hopefully won't have killed all of them. Maybe they are just way too crowded too. Oh no! My glads and 4 'O Clock roots are still in the garage. No no no! Waiting for the hybrid to spread made me smile!

I too have a peony and iris in bloom. My Stellas started, other daylilies are budding. Lillies, budding too. Silene "Electra" is gorgeous and the primrose is so sunny yellow. I think my favorite now will be the astilbes and the campanule, "Cherry Bells."

ImaMes, I am the good friend who waters for my neighbor. I came home yesterday, to find a three way solar light by my back door. It has a butterfly, dragonfly and hummingbird in it. I put it in the back yard so she can see it too. I love it! I hadn't seen any with three on them.

Pepper, I love the different color Asiatics have, than the orientals. It makes up for no scent. The yellow is gorgeous!

Will, that is so funny. I'm not laughing at her expense. I'm laughing over what the mind can come up with. When she passes, she will ask to become your guardian angel in gratitude for the way she never knew you treated her while alive. Laughing now at your Mom!

Will, you are very tasteful and kind in discussing them. A sense of humor about it all makes it a nice story for all of us. It reminds me to have patience with people. I enjoy the stories.

Blooms or not, the lilies are very pretty around the tree. I wonder why they won't tho. I'll bet the cattails do look pretty neat!

I dug and soaked a few iris yesterday, and left them out to dry. I got up, checked the weather and decided to move them to the garage. I got back in, sat down and it started to rain around 5:30 am. It's down to a light sprinkle now and getting brighter all the time.

Most of our mosqiuitos have been eaten or their three day life is up. I hope no more hatch in this rain!

Rusty, are you feeling better?

Camdenton, MO(Zone 6a)

Pepper - It was I who asked about the green carts. Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. :-)
Funny thing - my daylilies are budding and blooming but my Stargazers are not yet. Just the opposite of yours!

Will - I like reading your stories. They're colorful. Have you thought about writing this stuff in a journal? You might enjoy reading it years from now.
Your mom's ditch lilies look so perfectly even around the tree! I think the foliage looks nice enough that it wouldn't matter if they bloomed (though obviously, the flowers would be pretty). Looking forward to the photos of your cattails.

Billy - That's so nice that your friend gave you that solar light. I check in on my friend's cat and water her plants when she's gone, so we take turns doing for each other... unless we're both gone on the same weekend! LOL

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

ImaMes, it's so nice to trade too! Finding someone dependable is a big plus. If I have time, I try to take scissors and deadhead so they look nice when she gets home. One year I picked up sticks for a favor to her husband. She gets me very nice generous gifts, so I try to give extra when they aren't looking.

Sad day, my last day of vacation...LOL I have had sooo much fun. Was out at 6am this morning working. It is gonna be hot and humid or already is hot and humid! Just got finished eating strawberries again....LOL No I have not froze any cause I am too busy eating them....LOL I don't think I have missed a day and usually 2 bowls a day...gotta eat while ya got em..

Well at this rate of blooming my autumn joy sedum will be blooming in a week...LOL Everything seems to be off, early to me.
Gonna buy some annuals or I won't have any color....

Wish I had a nack arranging pots. I have a ton of potted things and I have moved that stuff 20 times today, and still don't like it......I have seen others with the most beautiful mass of pots, and mine look like a big mess... Wonder what the key is.

Dang it is humid and hot, thank goodness for the wind.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Happ, a woman after my own heart. Well, you just get full!!

Anytime I do something, I go stand across the road. Then I walk back and forth to see what others see.

I't looks pretty nice out there. I think I'll go out.

Later all!

Well, since you were talking pots, here are mine. All of the plants bought with no idea of where they were going or what was gonna be with them.

Thumbnail by pepper23

I need to get a new pic of this pot because the verbena is blooming now.

Thumbnail by pepper23
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Pepper, those are beautiful! I just bought a pot like your brown one. I put a beautiful deep rosy-red geranium in it. It's a retirement gift for DH's friend. Her party is tonight.

I'm still trying to get over the sinus. Grrr! Getting sick makes me so mad!

It started raining lightly in the night and it just quit. I sure won't have to water for a while. The tomatoes should grow in leaps and bounds now!

Gravois Mills, MO

I am always on the lookout for BIG cheap pots. They have to be a minium of 20 inches wide and DEEP.

Heres two nice pots from fore-closure clean-outs, well nice to me..lol

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Hi all, okay, the cattails aren't 8 feet tall, but maybe 6 and a half!
Taller than me anyway! : )
Heres the link in the March thread of the cattails, and them now,
quite a difference!
That was even before they started growing, I'll have to
search my photos for a photo where they're just a few inches tall or so.
But, thats quite a contrast from snow to very tall..hehe!
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7649012

Thanks Ima, a journal? No, haven't really given that much thot..its
just a part of everyday life here is all.

In the fore-closure clean-outs that I did for HUD a couple years ago, I got 5
real good big pots. Thats one of the things people in fore-closure are apt
to leave behind. I guess when they are full of soil and everything, they are
quite heavy for folks on the go. I got many smaller pots. I'll make a separate
post below so I can insert a photo of two of my nicer fore-closure
decorative pots. Otherwise, they would've been put in the trash, HUD doesn't mind if you take anything thats left.

They DO look nice, thanks Ima, those Ditch Lilies at my Moms even
if they don't bloom, I'll tell her that, you are right,
I've thot they are nice there too. I've never
mentioned that they don't bloom.

Those solar shed lights would be nice, I've been
wanting one misself!

Ohhh.. : ( I always look forward to vacations too, it stinks
they have to end.

My patient here is a character alright. She prolly won't realize later
that people were good to her before. She thinks so poorly of me now,
its pretty engrained in her. I've never done her wrong, she just
blames me I think for things not always being good for her in her mind,
or something like that.

I think I've found a use for my Weed-be-Gone MAX, ground ivy!
This stuff- http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=7630000
Ima try it anyway..lol : ) I sure am not looking forward
to wearing a dust mask.

Thanks billyp, if the thread topic was something about a particular
plant or something I wouldn't bore you kind folks with my yarns! : )

It is kinda funny though, last nite I was running interference
for my friend here, so she could get some sleep. About 9:30 pm was the
first yell for my friend. So, I get up and politely say "she is asleep
is there anything I can do to help?" She says "No, and stop coming to my
door when I want her". So, I go sit back down and she continues yelling
for her for about 2 hours before my friend actually hears her
and wakes up! Her daughter closes her bedroom door and the elderly lady's bdrm. door is closed and fans are on. It can take awhile to wake her up herself sometimes if there is a lot of background noise.
All she ever wants to talk about is made-up stuff in her mind. Its rarely to use the bathroom, which of course I would quickly
wake her daughter for. But, the way she is replying to me isn't going
to bode well for a real, more urgent matter, such as needing to use the
commode. Actually, its not that important on non-work days, such as
week-ends, even her daughter says so, but everybody needs sleep.
Unfortunately she does this waking folks up with make-believe 24/7. She has no discrimination on time of day or nite. She sleeps during the day and is up all nite.
Okay, pretend the photo above is below this one..lol
Will

This message was edited Jun 5, 2010 8:59 PM

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Will, they're nice pots! Oh my gosh, we've come a long way from March! The cattails look good!

I'm all for rescuing things from the trash. What a pity, perfectly good things get thrown because someone can't take the time to drop them at Goodwill. And I mean the orginazations, not those foreclosed on. They could too, but have things on their minds.

I haven't seen a thread yet that didn't veer from the original theme, LOL. Sometimes it veers back, sometimes not. That's what is fun.

Too bad there wasn't some way to keep her up during the day.

It looks like a beautiful day out there. The grasss is as wet as it can get, so I won't be wading thru it anytime soon. There is a baby robin out side asking to be fed. The cats are watching intently fom the door :o)

I was also up and out early, it was heavy dew here, but wanted to get in the garden since I was going to have to leave for a 4 year olds birthday party at noon.....last day off and back to work....ughhhhhh!
I did get a lot done, I think what I don't like about the plants in my pots is that there isn't any color yet.......just greenery and things are thickening up from being stored all winter but a ways to go, guess I am just impatient. I just about have flower gardens that in circle my entire house, then the same with the garden room. Thinking maybe too many flower beds....LOL especially when it comes to weeding.

Thanks billyp. You know how it is, you are so proud of something, it never gets used! lol
Altho, I plan on putting something in those pots, just not sure what yet! : )

Thanks, those cattails are really doing yeoman's work! I just broke the ground today on the water-pond I plan, so hopefully the cattails will have a better home than an old can.
I took a photo of the area that the pond is going in. The shape of the pond is going to be
long and narrow (like one of those long and narrow tranny funnels kinda)
and they'll be a stream to take rain over-flow to the little drainage stream
in the back-yard.

People in fore-closure left all kinds of stuff behind, even furniture.
I woulda been willing to do something charitable like you mentioned but I lost my shirt
trying to do those clean-outs. You pay for everything out of pocket doing that. Its mostly trash that is cleaned out and you have to pay for the landfill dumps on your own. That was about $40 each and I was doing that sometimes 3 times a day. This was in Spring 08' when gas was nearly $4 a gallon, I think it reached $4 a gallon right at the end before I had to stop doing that, I just ran out of money..lol I was driving the truck and trailer all over the metro and the gas costs were out of sight.

Well, I FINALLY received an order from a nursery that I've been waiting for
and it was all wrong. I've sent them an email hopefully we can get this ironed out.
I really wanted the ornamental grasses that I ordered.
It was 2 small clumps of Miscanthus Sinensis 'gigantea',
1 small field clump of M. sinensis var. 'purpurascens'
and 2 large field clumps of Pennisetum alopecuroides, which is what I wanted the most-
straight fountain grass. Here is what I got -
3 plugs of M. sinensis var. 'purpurascens'
10 plugs of the straight fountain grass (which is good)..lol
3 plugs of P. alopecuroides 'Tall tails', which I guess they threw in for a bonus or something. And lastly, I'm not sure what these 2 clumps are of, the label was un-read-able. But, what I can make out of it is not M. sinensis 'gigantea' like its supposed to be. A plug is much smaller than clumps. My guess is they just ran out and they said send them what-ever! lol
www.bluestem.ca has some splaining to do I suppose. Actually, they haven't been paid yet, so this could also be interesting. Why would somebody wanna pay for the wrong stuff..lol They have replied already, not even replying to my query that my order was wrong, just that they need payment now..lol The reason (they say) for delivering so late is they are "warm season" grasses and they can only be dug when its warm enuff, which in Canada I guess can be awhile.

Theres no way to keep the elderly lady from sleeping during the day.
The well paid aide just sits there a lot and watches tv while she sleeps, its not her
fault.

Thumbnail by shortleaf

I forgot my biggest and best foreclosure pot, its this red one!
It had a weed tree growing in it that had blown into the pot I guess, I don't know why anybody would grow whatever it was, a Silver Maple or something was in it! : )
See the other off-whitish big foreclosure pot in the background to the left? It has half of the iris tubers from Ima in it, they are coming along good. : )

Thumbnail by shortleaf
Gravois Mills, MO

Shortleaf---- Did you contract direct to HUD. I do not understand how you could not nail fuel cost onto the cost to them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.