Please Help me! These kill my hardy Hibiscus every summer!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I have 2 Hardy Hibiscus in my garden and each year they get annialated by these little green inch worms. They eat every leaf off the plant! The man at the local Organicaly Grown store told me to use Neem Oil and everything will me gone. I applied it last night and these photos were taken this morning! Am I impatient? Or is there something better that I can use that will keep them as well as the Japanese Beatles off them for good? But wont harm my pets.

Desparate!
Kristen

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

This is what they do!! To the entire plant!!!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thumbnail by blupit007
Madison, AL

Could these be something I just learned about - rose slugs? Rose slugs are not really slugs - they are the larva of sawflys and can ruin leaves on many types of plants. They feed on one side of the leaf which leaves a skeletonized place which becomes a hole. Could this be what you have?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Maybe!!! OMG I also have these on the same plant! Are these sawflies? If so what do I do??? HELP!

Thumbnail by blupit007
Madison, AL

Go to Wikipedia and enter sawfly - there is an image that looks just like yours.
But I am really a rank amateur here and we need some experts to weigh in as to what to do about them.

Madison, AL

Bayer and Ortho both make products for spraying roses for these pests (as well as the many others who bother roses), so I assume these would also work for hibiscus. If you want an organic solution, someone else needs to help here.

Madison, AL

Here is a place someone on another site suggested to explain to me what a sawfly and a rose slug is. I don't know how to make it a clickable address - just try it the old fashioned way - typing it in on the internet.

http://www.weidners.com/Roseslug.htm

Madison, AL

Last post here - go to the BugFiles here on DG and search for sawfly. Then look down the line and there are some entries for what they call hibiscus/mallow sawfly. Good information there.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you all, Will get a better spray tomorrow. One that will stay on for a couple days. Thanks for everything!

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

heres my bets recipe for bugs and grubs it works on about any kind and dont kill any flower or veggies.

BUG B GONE FROM YOUR GARDEN SPRAY
THE NATURAL WAY
6 Jalapeños
4 Cloves of Garlic
1 Yellow (Hot) Onion
1 Cup of Ground /Crushed Red Pepper
*Grind all ingredients in blender let set.
* Boil 4 Quarts of water to raging boil.
Put Ingredients in one (1) Gallon (Wide Mouth) Jug or Equivalent.
Pour Hot water in on top, let stand 48 hours.
Strain mix through panty hose.(NOT wife’s good ones! Ya could get hurt)
Mix will yield one gallon that can be mixed in 2 ½ gal sprayer.(Add cool water to fill line)
***Spray New and growing plants until fruit starts to grow well.
There is not a bug or critter around that will bother you garden.
*** The Bees don’t Care****

Thumbnail by Ret_Sgt_Yates
(Di) Seven Mile, OH(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the recipe, Sgt Yates. I just printed it out and will use it on my garden tomorrow. I've been looking for an all-natural bug-b-gone recipe.

Di

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

your welcome good Lord blessed me Ill pass it along Bro/Sis you do the Same. ~;{0)

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you!!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I will try this recipe on the woodchuck that eats our squash plant as soon as a few leaves show up. My plants are stripped of leaves--just stems.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

LOL I had to resort to the .17 for the Mr. Ground Hog he was mor parcal to my radishes than i was and I LOVE my Radishes Iam stengey with them i planted them twice cause i thought they had problems comeing up but i cought him red handed (pun intended) he had the nerv to whissle at me . and run this has been going on for three days got him to day though I should have pithcers later i hope. ~; >)

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Oh Oh! It's against the law to shoot in town.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

a .17 is very quiet like a pllet gun he he he i'm not mean but i do love my veggies LOl

you can barrow my baby for a day or two he loves lil critters lol

Rosemount, MN(Zone 4b)

Is that a Gila Monster?! I will take him for my stupid mole problem.

Sparta , TN(Zone 7a)

GKayfes,
sure is he love lil furry critters LOL live too He He He

He wil make short work of them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.