Constitutions ...Still looking for more! Got one?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

i was so happy that when my canna's starting coming up this week, we were sooooooooo glad to see one consitituion survivor...anyone else have any???

Thumbnail by tobee43
Plano, TX

that canna is so pretty--i only have and know of yellow and red--the pink is beautiful

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

well, i am glad to report it's doing quite and hopefully has doubled in size! it doesn't appear diseased! so hopefully i will get more from what i have...the pink is so pretty against the dark leaf!

Plano, TX

oh i agree--and the leaves have some of the pink in them don't they? just beautiful--how tall do they get?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

plan...actually the leaf is a more solid type "dark brown" with a bit of greenish to it. it's not striped but so pretty!! i LOVE the flower.

alice introduced on of her "nice" light pinks....this year...i have to find it here on daves...i'm not certain what type of leaf that had but the pink was spectacular !

Plano, TX

and how pretty it is with the pink coleus next to it--i'm afraid my planting is a bit unorganized but someday i might make a pink area--

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL...well plan...i really didn't "plan" it that way! pink is actually one of my least favorite colors...but it always pops in a garden setting! :)

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

alice's cannas do so well. Tobee, I was so impressed w/ your first pic. How tall does this canna get?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

this canna...which incidentally came from alice! usually gets up there in about the six foot range...although it's only about 4 feet in this confined area...i am really hoping to get more rhizomes from it.....because apparently there are no more to be had anywhere at this time.

i was really excited to see one pop up after r move!!

this is unreal...i just posted this and saw the dragonfly!! 2 COOL!! LOL!

This message was edited Jun 14, 2010 10:31 AM

Thumbnail by tobee43
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I planted a bunch of constitutions from seed but nothing came up, I just started my last 3 hopefully I get one to grow.. I know they arn't true from seed but thats what i like about the seeds you can have something close or totally different.. I planted about 10 different kinds of canna from seed this year and all but the constitution and the tropical white came up.. So I'm giving them one more try with the last 3 seeds i have of each.. Hopefully i can get one that looks as good as the one pictured
jen

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

i hope you do jen....i have never tried from seed....first i lived in to cold of an environment and secondly i'm not that brave!! LOL

Plano, TX

"not that brave" -is it tricky to start from seed?

love, love, love the dragonfly in the picture!

hey voss! how's it going

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

plan i'm sure it is...i'd rather call alice...LOL...didn't that come from a song????

me too!! i love the dragonfly...i didn't even know it was in the pic...

Plano, TX

was it "go ask alice--i think she'll know"

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL!! yeap...my jefferson airplane...it was gracie slick...i'm aging myself!!

Thumbnail by tobee43
Plano, TX

love the new picture--i think florida must be a fun place to grow plants---so lush and green

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

it seems to be...but here's one from nj....the alocasia actually bloomed and the austrian canna had great color!! so it can be done anywhere if it can be done in a zone 4!!

plan..u got any pics???

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

that didn't come out well...even tho it's my pic!! i got it off the site...i just need to put the url....i guess???

Plano, TX

i thought maybe you felt so good about that dragon fly picture that now you were going to copy right the rest : )

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL!! nope apparently dave's site already copywrote my old pics for me...darn...i wanted you to see it...but now i'll have to take new pics tomorrow of some of the other canna that's really coming up nice....

the dragonfly will most likely never show up again..but who knows??

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

tobee your not in too cool of an area to try it.. Im in canada lol and i can do it... No planolinda no its not hard, just nick the seeds, soak over night or even 24 hours and then plant they seem to just come up after that, as longs you keep them moist like your other cannas...
jen

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

jen...i just got to a zone 9b....but for 30 years i was in a sub zone 4...probably cooler than windsor...LOL!! can't seed much in a zone 4

i'm seeing that many people in my zone area do the seed thing...i have planted many but nothing rare or difficult....that why they have alices...LOL...don't they???? hehehehe

Plano, TX

ok--so who is this famous alice?

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

LOl! this famous alice is know as Abutilon here on daves...but she's also one of the leading canna breeders most likely in the world...aka Karchesky & Harris Cannas.....take one look and you will droolllllllllll...for certain...www.karcheskycanna.com/ ....

sometimes alice comes to the canna forum ...she's is what i would consider the leading expert in my years of working the horticulture world when it comes to canna. ....LOL...that's why i say.."go ask alice....i think she'll know".....pertaining to canna! LOL!

i also have a few that brian from brian botanical have bred...like his zulu warrior that i also posted.

Plano, TX

wow! very impressive!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

both of them are very impressive people and have contributed a lot to the horticulture world...when you have a moment just check them out...it's well worth it..:)

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I'm a full and enthusiastic supporter of Alice aka Abutilon for cannas and brugmansias.

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

yes tobee zone 4 (must of missed that post) would be hard to plant cannas from seed.. I know here in windsor zone 6b, if i get them started and planted in a good sunny spot, I can get them to flower first year from seed.. Not always but theres a good chance..
I agree Alice and Brian have answered many of my questions.. I wanted to order a few seeds from alice this year but think the 10 different ones i had for this year was enough.. Next year I hope to add more.. We will be gaining a 6' x 60' piece of yard behind our fence which will be all garden, so hopefully I can toss some more cannas in there also.. We'll see what hubby has to say, I have 20 to count and if those 2 come up from seed then 22, He really likes cannas so i dont see why he wouldnt be ok with a few more.. I added a few hardy hibiscus this year and hes freaking out, I think theres 7 plants total and all he says is another hibiscus?? dont you have enough of them??.. But the 20 cannas he just wants to add more..
jen

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

lol jen...

my husband's just the same...you have 400 plants and you have to have another....ur husband would die a million times if he saw here!!

i do now live in a zone 9b...just since dec...but i just don't like doing so much by seed. it's fun and all and i have a couple hundred i do with usually 50% success...but then don't give it that much of my time.

i love the canna mainly because of the foliage....long after the flower come and go..or even before they come you have this beautiful foliage.

in the fall i cut my big striped reds and use them by my door instead of corn stalks!! LOL

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Well because of you wonderful gardeners I am going to have to go get a part time job. I logged on to Alice's site and OMG. I have about 30 varieties but I fell in love with at least another twenty. I have enough Tropicana top fill California. I have dug and dug and they just keep coming back. I remember when they were $30 a bulb and now no one wants them. They are beautiful because of the leaf and the bloom but they are invading my garden.

I have two other spots for cannas but after being on that site I am in trouble. Only in my mind. I am retired, I do not gamble, do not drink, very few medicines, house is paid for, so what am I suppose to do with my retirement? I am so hyped because they had so many varieties I had never seen I am ordering tomorrow after breakfast when I am in control. Thank you. Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday, Happy Mother's day to me.

Anyone out there want Tropicana, only postage required.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

tobee...lol...maybe our husbands are brothers? I have run out of the fake excuse that I need to purchase one more, "because I already have them in a row, but one died, and I need to fill in the hole with a matching one" Now he just says "Nice try...."

Is everything in your yard surviving this heat? Yipes....

:D

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

come now Worms....LOL!!! don't be blaming little ole me!! but it is something or what. i have been dealing with alice for some years now and she's just the best...besides having the most outrageous cannas ever

MERRY MARY...a neighbor!! at last!!! my very first one in Daves...since i moved here!!....we best never let r husband ever meet!!!!

whoppppppeeee!!! finally someone close to ask question to...just YOUR lucky day merry!! LOL!

i hear the rumble of the thunder but NOT a drop of rain to be had...my husband hosed everything this morning...we were told by the town it's ok to use ur hose.....we are careful anyway because last month when then put the lawn in there was a leak in the irrigation system...so r water bill was over 500 dollars...holy cow and a half....found the leak thankfully!!!

did you go to the spring fest in winter garden this year??? i'm sure you did, i was lucky since i'm brand new here that someone told me about it!! we picked up some great things there!

:)
I've been on Dave's for years, and it IS always nice to compare notes with someone who understands Florida weather! Even though I live in a subdivision, I have several small koi ponds in my back yard. I like to put the cannas around them, they do fairly well in the water. For some odd reason we lost power for an hour this morning, and I started to panic with this heat and no air/filtration flowing in the ponds. My fish are all 20 inches, so even a short amount of time with no additional water flow can kill them.
We've had the same rumblings as you, all around us, but never ON us. I'm trying to keep everything watered, but the sun is starting to scorch some of my canna petals and they're just wilting ...

come to think of it, so am I....

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

actually merry mary....i have also...but was in the coleus forum or cannas mostly....now i'm plopping myself in the florida area...i even think we may have crossed paths before....

you lost power!! WHAT NO!! please..so funny we brought our generator down with us ....we also live in a subdivision and someone said in the 5 years they have been here they never had the lights go out. shoot....in nj it would sometimes go out for DAYS....so we had to have a generator.

i have some scorched leaves 2..:(((( and i'm so worried we are leaving for calif on friday...it's so sweet the neighbors said don't worry..we won't let anything happy to your gardens..we will water them. how sweet is that!! i'm lovin it here!!!!!

and ME TOO! this is wayyyyyyyy to hot for anything or one!

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Hi All! Just started with cannas this year, picked up a few from an ad in the newspaper. And then some of the generous people here on Dave's sent me some seeds, so am now trying to get them going from seed, too. I think they should take off, even tho I'm in the frozen north country. I'm trying to start them inside first and if that doesn't work, will try something different, as I have plenty of seeds to practice with. Seems to me, the problem I have is wind more than anything else. And if you still need a home for that tropicana, you just let me know!

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hello skellogg,
I did this blog on growing cannas from seed. As I am the colder side of zone 6, it is more directed to winter and cold climate seed growers. Hopefully, it may help you in growing seeds cold climate.
I make a "greenhouse" out of one of my lighted hooded aquariums to use in winter for seeds, also.
It works really well :)
http://growingcannasfromseed.blogspot.com/

Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Thanks! I can use all the help I can get! I am one of those " naive" gardeners. I just figure anything will grow, right? So just nicked some seeds, soaked them, and then stuck them in peat. Figure since I have to dig and store every year anyway, it won't matter, lol!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have several requests for the Tropicana Canna. Anyone here have any idea when is a good time to dig. I would assume after the leaves are cut back. This my one of mine second year babies
from sometime this week..

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Sundance, WY(Zone 3b)

Wow!! Those are gorgeous! I would assume that you are right on when to dig. I picked up my mixed ones this spring, and the lady had stored them all winter in her garage to keep them from getting too cold. She digs hers every fall right after the first freeze, and cuts the leaves then, but since you don't have to dig yours, I can only guess, lol! Sure wish that the wind would stop tearing mine up! Those leaves just don't like 50-80 mph winds, and neither do I !!

You can dig and store in the fall, after the leaves die down. But in reality, you can dig and divide anytime you'd like. I've been digging them up (not Tropicannas, but other colors) and replanting them all along. If you dig them up with leaves, let the cut side of the rhizome dry for a day or 2 before replanting, so the cut edge can seal. The leaves will wilt a bit, but after a few days back in the ground in their new location, with a little water, they perk back up.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.