Stuttgart Canna...almost ALL white!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

wow...i just wished it didn't burn the next day!

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

and more! just love those canna!

Thumbnail by tobee43
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

So interesting. I added this one to my collection this spring, cant wait to see it grow.. Only planted it about a week ago nothing coming up yet.. I can only hope i get a leaf with this much white..
jen

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

jen, i have been growing them for years and never ever had one like this before! but then again i lived in a sub zone 4. now i took them with me when i moved and this is what happens i guess in a 9b?? because it's more than one leave with sooooooo much beautiful white!

Thumbnail by tobee43
cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

what were they like in zone 4 all green??

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

they would get a taste of the variegation....but absolutely nothing like this! although...now looking in the garden there are still a few that are really ALL green leafed still...with no variegation ? maybe it's just those sweet few that may be so excellent??

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

'Stuttgart' will go white when temps stay hot.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

i really don't know if that's it. since it really got just as hot where i use to live in the summer months as it does here where i live in florida.

i lived in the northeast....actually in a 6b...but i lived in a valley that was a sub 4...in the summer it got just as warm as here, however, not for months at a time. that may have something to do with it. after all i couldn't even get them out until early june up north!

been using canna in my designs over 25 years now...of course these were not around when i started, but still i never got an amost white leaf! it was really nice to enjoy it for a day or two until it began to brown.

here's a design for a garden for the new jersey garden and flower expo which i did for the entrance...of course as the write-up about my show design had much more to say about my coleus than canna!!

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

here's a pic of one of the entrances to the show. it actually had over 300 canna i used around the area

Thumbnail by tobee43
groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

oh..and alice is that you....??? i see your in pa.....never got my order in!! since most of the really cool ones come from u or brian??

sue from nj
now in fl

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

Abutilon I believe you have 'Stuttgart' dont you?? does yours get white I think we have about the same weather since were both zone 6's

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

My Stuttgart has gone white.
I worry when it goes white as there is no chlorophyll in that growth to support it.
Yes, I am in PA zone 6-5.
It has been very hot/humid here already );

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

Hi Sue,
I am not sure how Stuttgart will do for you in Florida, but the rest of your cannas should do very well there (better than NJ). And your new locale sure beats digging them in fall ..lol
The only thing worse you may have in FL over NJ is leaf rollers .. which I have never had here in PA except in stock from the south. Though too cold for them to complete their cycle here, one winter and that is the end of them .. :)

We have already had early heat/humidity this year. Memorial Day weekend was a scorcher ):
Many of the cannas here are already blooming/coming into bloom .. which is really nice :)
I like putting them in already blooming so they get the best out of my May through October season.

In the evenings when work is done for the day, my youngest Daughter and I have been getting our display gardens done. We have designated canna and vegetable areas, but our design gardens always include cannas, also. And interesting flowers. And we also incorporate fancy veggies .. which make great design plants, too :)

I hope you are doing well transplanted to FL.
It's good to hear from you and see you here, too :)

This message was edited Jun 2, 2010 8:02 AM

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

I planted mine in part sun as i heard the sun burns white leaves... It does get more then 5 hours a day i would say.. But its not the hottest of the afternoon sun.. I have a few plants that are variegated, and they seem to do better in more shade then sun.. People have told me about these cannas that they plant them in full shade.. However they were in texas or florida where the sun is different from mine, i still want them to grow but just not burn... We'll see how they do this year and if its not to good well i'll try another spot next spring..

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

you too alice!!!

i didn't get my order in for my whites....i NEED them...but my moving budget won't allow it this year. after all....we now have loamy sandy soil to amend and can have canna all year round!! whopppeeeeeee!! so first things first. but as you see i did get some wonderful foliage.

the stuttgart seems to being doing excellent provided it's in total shade....the one pictured is now in bloom and must be kept on the north side...the more shade it seems the more variegation and or white seems to appear?? cool

by the way alice...did you see the constitution i pictured...it's YOURS!!! we didn't know it made it until it began to bloom! and it appears to have no problems...it may be the last one in the country for all i know.

2 years ago i got one of brian's zulu warriors...didn't know if that made it either but it did!!

now i'm awaiting now for a few others to bloom...i'm hoping they may be one or two of your whites which were absolutely outstanding!!

i still owe you an elephant ear...got one with the leaf over 4 ft! LOL...good to be in FL!

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

My Stuttgart did not come back this year... I am so disappointed. I need to get another.. and find a new Cleopatra.. mine has reverted to all green foliage. The blooms still have the Cleopatra blooms but it is the foliage I grow it for.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

tammie...check out alice's site! she has the BEST canna ever...just an opinion...i got a Cleopatra from her...but lost it in the move..another i need to replace at some time or another!

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

Yes, she does have the best cannas available anywhere.

Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

That "Stuttgart" canna foilage is beautiful. Where can I order some that has good ones? I have become disabled to garden like I once did. I'm trying to use mostly bulbs that will come back on their own. So far I've had really good luck with Cannas.I have mostly Cannas,Hostas,Callas, and elephant ears. I still use petunias in handing baskets and Vincas in large pots.
Thanks-Lynda

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

So glad I saw this thread.... just acquired some stuggart from a reliable source and they are coming up almost completely white. One of them has one green stripe in one of the leaves. Now I know it's my heat..... LOL... I thought there was something wrong with it. Good thing it's still in a pot, because NOW I know to plant it in a shady spot when it's ready for the ground.
WHEW!.......

cullman, AL(Zone 7b)

well this is my second year trying them and no luck yet again.. I'm getting sick of ordering canna roots that turn out to just be a shriveled molding mess when i get them.. I'm moving to the south in 9 days, pretty excited for a sub-tropical garden.. Hopefully there i will have better luck with ordering cannas.. I was very limited as to where i could get them being that i'm in canada, but that will be changing very soon..

Abutilon do you have Stuttgart canna's still.. If or if not be expecting my order this fall or this coming spring..

jen

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I've never had any luck with Stuttgart here in Central Florida. The one's I had, I moved out of the sun, and put into a semi-shady area, but they eventually just kicked the bucket. Blah....
However, the rest are going and growing like crazy! I probably have 20 - 25 varieties (in my small yard) and all are doing well, but yes, it's "that" time of year for the leaf rollers to begin showing up....I hand smooosh them, because they don't really care much about spray or soap.
We've finally had rain for the past few days (we've been in a drought) and the snails are also now finding their way to the blossoms. Grrr...I hate snails.....

:)

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Merry May.................I don't care for chemicals... but have found the only thing that is working for me regarding leaf rollers and caterpillars is Dipel Dust. I was SOOOO aggrivated when one of my brand new Dracula plants had holes in a newly uncurled leaf a few days ago. I sprinkled all the cannas with Dipel and so far so good. I had to do this in the spring as well. But like I said.... So far that's all that seems to be working for me here.

Can you get that in Lowes or Home Depot?

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

I got mine at a local feed store...........but Lowe's or HG might have it.

Brandon, FL(Zone 9b)

Loved the Stuttgart you shares with me Sue...until I replanted in else where in my garden and my husband ignored the tag and red flag...and he weed whacked it! It hasn't. Come back up since.

groveland, FL(Zone 9b)

ahhhhhhh so sorry...i have MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

tobee...if you have another, I'd happily trade something, or pay for postage, or....?? Are you going to the round-up in Clermont in Oct?
Mary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.