how to start amaranthus Love-lies-bleeding

Prescott, AZ(Zone 8a)

Got a seed packet of these because they look interesting. Just noticed it says to start them indoors 6 weeks before planting outdoors. Oops. Can I put in the seeds now and have them bloom? I live in eastern Washington, up near Canadian border, but it gets hot here in summer--up to 95 degrees in July and August.

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

I have grown them for years from seed.I have always direct sowed them around May 15th.Last frost date for me.Originally got the seeds from a friends apartment complex.They had them growing on the edge of the parking lot.Seed-snatching if you will.I never had instructions.They have had them growing on this site for years.I know they just let them self-sow every year.I like to harvest my own seeds in the fall.Dry them out and direct sow.One thing I did learn.They really like full sun.They are kind of an unusual plant.Underrated and under appreciated.I don't see them growing in too many gardens.I like them.They bloom late in the season.People always ask me,what are thoose?Edge

Tuskegee, AL(Zone 8a)

I was just thinking about these. I tried LLB late last year, and they barely had a chance to start blooming before the cold weather came. I'd love to have another chance with them and with other Amaranthus, like Tricolor, Illumination and Summer Poinsettia.

I have lots of the tall Hopi Red Dye Amaranthus to trade. And some other interesting seeds that I'm still trying to catalog - including Japanese Morning Glory "Hige" -- feathered double corolla fuchsia.

I also have some interesting heirloom tomatoes, listed here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1102712/

Does anyone have LLB or other Amaranthus seeds to trade or share?

Liberty, United States

I live in Texas as sowed them on top of the groound as a perennial. They are about 2 - 3 feet tall now.

This message was edited Jun 18, 2010 5:36 AM

Saline, MI

I am growing love lies bleeding for the first time this year. I started from seed, late, so the two plants, each in a pot, are about 18 inches high now, no flowers yet, of course. Two days ago one of them suddenly completely wilted. It looks like a plant that has not been watered, but that is not the case with this one. I water it everyday when it is hot (has been in the 80s and 90s and humid here). The other one is fine, I water it everyday as well. They are both in full sun. I did see on the plant info page that the soil should be dry -- could I be watering too much and could that cause the wilting? I've never seen a plant look like this from too much water, only from too little. Any ideas?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yes, they do best on the dry side. They also will get much bigger, as in several feet tall, if you plant them directly in the ground. I have found that direct seeding is better than starting 6 weeks early or start them only 3-4 weeks early. They seem to stall & become stunted if the are left in a pot too long. They are a great item for wintersowing though. I put some wintersown seedlings Velvet Curtains Amaranthus in a Community Centre garden about 3 years. It has received limited care and self seeds every year. By mid-August they are about 4 feet tall. They are very striking. So if you grow them again, try growing them in the ground & not in a pot. This is a picture from last year, haven't got around to snapping some photos of the garden this year.

Thumbnail by joannabanana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.