Weck Canning Jars & others

Elmira, NY(Zone 6a)

Thought I would start a new thread on this, since this came up in a thread having nothing to do with canning. Weck jars have glass lids and 100% rubber gaskets and so don't have a BPA issue.

I got the Weck jars I ordered and canned some giardinera yesterday. I didn't have any problems with seal failure, as one person reported. There were a couple of weird things. Because the jars are bigger than a pint, I had one less jar to can than the recipe described. Also, the design I chose, the Deco, bulges towards the bottom. This looks beautiful but takes up a LOT of room in the canner, kind of like those squashed pint jars that are so nifty. I had to make two layers in the kettle and was almost at the top of it. I probably would not buy that shape again for that reason. The brochure the company sent with the jars was very helpful. They recommended a practice run, but I just went ahead and canned and had no problems. I didn't find it difficult to remove the jars from the canner with my regular jar lifter, as one person posted elsewhere.

Re the rubber gaskets, I could not tell whether they recommended using a new one each time or not. Seems like they deliberately left that vague. Some places that use rubber gaskets say yes. Then I ran across people posting about using jars with gaskets who just examine them each time, like the gasket in a pressure canner. One person had been using the same gaskets for years and did not get failures. I figure I will just check them each time and see how it goes. The replacement gaskets are cheap, though.

I bought the jars from GlasHaus in Chicago, which runs the weckcanning.com site and which sells a lot of Weck products, like glass blocks used in building. The jars I got were problematic in that they looked like seconds. About half the jar lids were defective, including "tears" in the glass to the point where there were internal cracks. I also found that 2 out of 24 jars were defective with hairline cracks and groups of internal air bubbles. These are, IMO, definitely quality control issues in canning jars. I read somewhere that Weck jars were recently featured in a Martha Stewart magazine. I am thinking they had such a demand that they ended up selling jars they would normally reject. I am going to ask for replacements of the defective lids and jars. For the amount of money I paid, working out to about $4.xx/jar including shipping, I expect totally perfect jars.

I looked around to see what else was out there and found that there are people who are using old bail-type jars for high-acid (jams and pickles) processed in a boiling water bath:

http://smallmeadowfarm.blogspot.com/2007/01/canning_5269.html

http://www.foodinjars.com/2009/06/08/canning-in-vintage-jars/

I did not realize that with the bailed jars, you do in fact test them to be sure they are sealed by trying to lift the lid with the bail off. I bought Ball Ideal pint and quart jars to try. Lehman's sells the rubber gaskets for these jars, so obviously a number of people are still using them. Using such jars is of course not approved by the USDA. BPA IS approved by the USDA, however. That said, I would never use these to can low-acid foods. But then, I just plain wouldn't can low-acid foods at all.

I have two British preserving books, and they both describe using plastisol-lined jar lids for jams with an invert-and-seal method. I am not sure about using plastisol in this manner. It contains PVC. But with just inverting them, maybe that would not be a problem. Haven't decided yet. The little Leifheits and lots of ordinary inexpensive jam and jelly jars you can buy from glass supply places online have lids lined with plastisol.

This thread has 26 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!