Rabbit-proof plants

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Bunnies eat everything! I hate the little buggers. I've read they don't eat campanulas. Anyone here have any experience with those? I recently bought some and was going to put them behind fencing but now hearing that rabbits won't eat them, I have another area I'd really like to put them instead.

Mechanicsville, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi there, rabbits are the plague of my flowers as well, but I have several things planted they are not interested in. They include Daylilies, Russian Sage, Iris, Candy Tuft, Heuchera (Coral Bells), Hosta, Helleborus, Coreopsis, and Dianthus. I have found a product that has been very effective in repelling the nasty critters, though. It's called Plantskydd. It is used for deer, elk, rabbits, voles, etc. During the winter months here in central Virginia where I Iive, its effectiveness spans nearly 4 months. In the warmer seasons, a couple of months. Applications are easy, (I use the liquid). A granular form has recently become available, but I have not tried it. In the end, though, rabbits, like deer and other pests, will nibble on anything if hungry enough. Here is a link to the product: http://www.treeworld.com/ and a link to reviews from Amazon customers: http://www.amazon.com/Deer-Repellent-Plantskydd-Ready-Use/dp/B000H2WW9S

It should be noted, that if this product is purchased as soluble powder (my preference since it is much cheaper and can be stored unmixed for years), it has to be very, very thoroughly mixed. I use a blender, and it mixes completely. If you are the least bit squeamish, though, you may want to try the premixed preparations.

Baldwin City, KS

I will try Plantskydd. I thought I was going to be able to protect my green bean plants by putting chicken wire fence around them, but something, and I suspect rabbits, found a way to eat them anyway. I know it wasn't deer and insects, in my experience, usually aren't able to eat the leaves from a 20 foot long row of new bean plants over one night.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.