Coleus ID?

New Hyde Park, NY

I just bought this Coleus with no ID and would like to know the name of it. It was at a nursery under an awning so it should get a lot brighter with sunlight. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Carol

Thumbnail by daisy_lee
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Carol - isn't it Peter Wonder?

New Hyde Park, NY

No, Arlene you gave me Peter Wonder but this one looks different and the edges of the leaves aren't as ruffled.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Then I have no idea at all but it is gorgeous.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Sure is georgeous.I thought Peters Wonder too.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

looks like the pink ruffles I had a few years ago from NC Farms

http://ncfarmsinc.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=708

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

Anna - new out.

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

It's Peters Wonder. Been growing it for years. The pattern varies throughout the season.

Chris

Stockholm, Sweden

Chris,
do you know if Peter Wonder and Pink Ruffles are the same coleus?

I'm just trying to be less confused :))
Thanks,
Alice

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Alice,

I don't know because I haven't seen a real life Pink Ruffles. It's from NC Farms and they have sometimes changed some names of older varieties, but they also have their own hybrids. The previously mentioned Anna is one of them. I'll try to send a picture tomorrow showing the difference in Peters Wonder. Yes, it's confusing for sure.

Chris

New Hyde Park, NY

Thanks for your help! I didn't think it was Peter Wonder since it looks different than the one I already have. Is there a Peter Wonder and a Peters Wonder?

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

here is a better photo

http://www.jollyfarmer.com/images/09-ct-coleus-pink-ruffles.jpg

Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

The correct name has been lost over the years. I think it originated in England. You will see Peter, Peters and Peter's. My hunch is the last one is correct.
Here is a pic of four pots of PW at the greenhouse - all from the same stock plant. All have a slightly different pattern. That's why it's so hard to ID coleus sometimes.

Chris

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Here is Anna. It is similar to Missy Ann, which doesn't have the spots. Both are from NC Farms and are very unique in coloration. Not the strongest growers due to lack of chlorophyll but good enough for rock and roll.

Chris

Thumbnail by goodoldbake
Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

oh yes. that is Anna brought mine in to check. Thanks chris for your help. Coleus are just mindboggling and beautiful. My all time favorite is beetleguise, I had this for so many years now I can't find it anywhere.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

beautiful.PW doesnt take to cuttings for winter.None of mine made it. too cold in the house at night.

Londerzeel, Belgium

Peters wonder varies alot depending on light. Mine is completely red in the sun while there is no red at all in shade. Firstly I thought it sported into something new but the red colors disappeared quickly when I put some plants in full shade.
Sometimes they turn white too, but that's another story ;)

Wa, no fair! NC Farms is only wholesale, or those flats anyway.

Thumbnail by
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

you can buy from them not being a wholesale dealer.. I have a few times

oboy, I just might write to them, Thank you!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

very nice customer service as well

here are some photos of previous orders... start at the bottom

http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/onewish1/11249/

Huber Heights , OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Chris,

we purchased a anna from you last year and was able to overwinter it, but everything we have rooted doensn't have the white and pink , just the green and dark color. Should anna be in sun, shade or conbination of the two to get the white with pink.

Thanks, Patrick and Donna

I bought a sorry looking coleus at the grocery store on a whim. Medium green with brownish splashes. In full shade, it developed the white. More sun, and the white turns cream-yellowish.

This message was edited Jun 5, 2010 3:50 AM

Oops, cannot add forgotten photo in an edit---

This coleus looks best when it gets zero direct sunlight. The white becomes snowy white. That was such a surprise when it got that way.

Thumbnail by
Alexandria, OH(Zone 5b)

Patrick & Donna,

We usually grow Anna in a shaded house. It would burn in direct sun. Sounds like you have some winter-color going on there. Try bright but indirect light outside to see if the white comes back.

Chris

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.