Dying? Need help.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

This is my mothers Hibiscus. Half of the tree is wilted and looks to be dying, the other half is green with the biggest leaves I've ever seen! What do I do??

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Image 2

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Image 3

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Image 4

Thumbnail by blupit007
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Sorry to say I don't know what is wrong with yours, but I had two this winter that were beautiful and then suddenly about 1/2 died and the other side looked fine, then it only good side wilted and the whole tree was dead. Had a total of 3 trees and two do this.....

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Image 5

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

OK, thanks for your help happy garden.

That is really wierd about the one side getting soooo big....
Wish I could help, but want to see what others say. I still have mine in pots, I keep thinking I will pull up the roots and see if I had anything strange going on there.

Emerald Hills, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi,

Looks like you have a braided tree which is probably 3 different plants braided together to make the trunk. If they are three different trees, then one or two could be affected and not the others...

d

Maybe too much water, too much fertilizer. Knock it out of the pot and see.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the advise. Sounds good. However my mom put it outside in the intense sun and occasional heavy beach breeze after it looked like this,(it has always lived indoors in a bright window). And now the whole thing is wilted. She wants to trash it and start over, but it is such a beautiful plant I would like to try to save it.

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

Here's an article on Hibiscus wilt disease, and to me, that's what this looks like. I had this hit a previously stunning and large Purple Magic - never came back and I was so bummed out. http://www.hiddenvalleyhibiscus.com/care/wiltdisease.htm

Good luck!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thanks,
I actually read this thinking that's what it was. I will try it. Keep you posted!

That is exactly what happened to my two hibiscus trees. Wish I would of known but it did it so fast I couldn't believe it.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

So, I'm listening to Charles Black on this one, however it may be too late... Gonna do this

Our newest emergency save is to use a very strong dose of a growth enhancer/stress reducer to help the plant's own immune system fight off the infection in all parts of the plant. Our preliminary results with this treatment have been successful, although we have not tried it enough to be certain of its success rate. It has worked well in the early stages of wilt disease. For this treatment, pour 1 teaspoon of undiluted growth enhancer carefully into the soil right at the base of the plant. Add 2 teaspoons of water to wash the growth enhancer into the roots. Do not use more water or growth enhancer than this! Wait a week and repeat application. If the plant survives, repeat weekly until you see new, healthy growth emerge. Then continue to dose with normal, diluted doses of growth enhancer until the new growth is fully grown and the plant is strong and healthy again. (This is the technique Cindy now uses on HVH's sick plants.)

First dose is today. I think that when I see (if) new growth, I will take it out of the pot and re-pot it. I dont want to shock it too much now, kick it while its down.

Keep you posted, and let you know if Charles method worked. Cross your fingers.

I am sure that is what my two hibiscus must of died from because those are the exact sysmptoms. Question if I bleach the pots (which are huge) can I reuse them, please don't tell me to destroy the pots I will have the big one!

San Bernardino, CA(Zone 8b)

When mine died, I thoroughly cleaned the pot and reused it. I haven't had problems since.

Good luck!

West Palm Beach, FL

happygarden - If the level of bleach prescribed in the aforementioned remedy is diluted enough not to harm the plant itself, then it shouldn't harm future plants using the same pot. You're applying the bleach mixture to the potting mix in efforts to control and eradicate fungus, not to "coat" the pot itself. The bleach mixture should break-down naturally into the soil, and any residue would be washed away after a few waterings. If you're worried, wash out the pot really well before reusing.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Just to update, My mother reported new growth showing after one application of this Super Nova. I will post photos next time I'm over there.

So glad your hibiscus is coming back, so wish I would of known about this before mine died.
They were two tall braided ones, funny thing I kept them away from the brugs and ee's cause I didn't want them subject to pest.....LOL But now I know and it is burned into my brain.

I have the two pots in the yard, I did bleach them and just haven't figured out what to put in them yet.
I am way behind getting things potting, planted and repotted...LOL

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

MORE HIBISCUS!!!

blu you sound like a hibiscus person, thought those were your Moms....rofl.?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Oh, I am... I have 13

rofl.....I knew it....rofl

I still have 6 beauties. I have one of the multi colored ones, and it is beautiful. Then at home depot I just bought one that has a very strange bloom. It has the normal outside flower petals but the center comes out and looks like a pom pom...I kept the tag but it is dark out and I don't remember the name. The others are "normal" beautiful big blooms. I have one standard tree size, the rest are bushes.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Oooh, sounds great. When you get time in the daylight, check it out and let me know. I love hearing about them! Here is a bloom from one of mine.

Thumbnail by blupit007

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1108714/
They have some pics of it. Found a website that said it is easy to take starts and grows fast.
I was at home depot the other day and it was marked down, course I paid full price....LOL

It is orange El Capitolio.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Oh lucky you!! That is one beautiful hibiscus!!

I can send you a start if you wanna try it. I don't usually do starts, but according to the "experts" it is suppose to be easy?

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Really?? I would love one. I don't have any hibiscus to offer you right now for they are all tiny baby's, and the ones that are blooming, need to be in bloom for my wedding in two weeks!! But I would give you shipping money. Or if you would like some jade, its my favorite houseplant, I've had it for 20 years and really easy keeper. I will send a photo for you to see.

Thumbnail by blupit007

Thank you for the offer but I have enough to try to get under control, still have tons to plant, but thought if you wanted to try a cutting I could stick one in a package for you to try and you can tell me how it does....LOL

OMG getting married in 2 weeks, congratulations!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Thank you, would love to try one. And thanks on the congrats. Getting close! I have some really nice rooting gel, but I have never done it, so I don't know if I can do it after its been cut a couple days?? Maybe if you wrap some wet paper around the cut and then sandwitch baggie it with an elastic then baggie the entire stalk after that, it might work.... As soon as I get any to cut, I will pay it forward if you want another tropical hibiscus.

Your great, Thanks!

Do you want to wait until after the wedding or next week? Just let me know.
I could cut and dip in rooting hormone and stick it in some potting soil and send on it's way, maybe that would work better. You would just have to baby sit it and if it doesn't make it I have more. Actually I think I will send both ways then you can test...LOL

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

We are only going away for 3 days after the wedding, so I think you could send them whenever you want. Thank you so much... Let me know what I can do for you in return. Money? Postal $?

Just pass the favor forward to someone else.
I will send Tuesday if that works for you. Just didn't know how stressed you were. Most of the Mom's I work with are almost crazy by the time the wedding arrives... ;D

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Yeah, Im totally chill about the whole wedding thing. I duno, I really have everything in order I guess. My mom and bridesmaids are doing the "BrideZilla" thing for me. Thank you so much!

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Here is some updated photos of my mothers hibiscus. It is coming back after the Super Nova treatment. Here is the whole tree. I think of all three braids, only one is good.

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Another full tree shot

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

I scratch lower down on the trunks of the two braids that seem to be dead and found some green.

Thumbnail by blupit007
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Here is the braids that I chopped the tops off of because of all the dead wood. Do you suggest that I take the two other braids out? Or because I did find some green after scratching it, I should leave it alone? Do I continue treatment of the Super Nova?

Red arrows are pointing to the 2 deadish braids, yellow arrows are pointing to the one good one.

Thumbnail by blupit007

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.