Uncarina roeoesliana

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Inspired by helenchild's Pachypodium this is my Uncarina roeoesliana.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

Wow. so beautiful. Love it!

Really pretty. Is it fragrant at all?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I ran out to check and it does have a slight fragrance. However, I currently have a cold so maybe it is more than I think!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

Lucky you! I'll have to look for one of those, but only locally.

Really nice pure yellow.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Yes, the yellow is so pure. It starts blooming in May and blooms for months. As the individual flowers fall off, I put them in a small vase of water and they last for a long time. Even if they have wilted some, they perk right up in the vase. I have some other Uncarina varieties but this is the best to me.
I got mine locally here at our Desert Botanical Garden Sale Shop. Hope you do find one.

Wow, I'll have to try that with my Desert Rose blooms.

I'm sure going to miss this place....

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't want to get into any of the controversy but, if that's why you are leaving, I feel bad for you. I love Dave's Garden and I just think I'd be hurting myself not to be able to enjoy all its wonderful features. Everyone has to do what they think is best for them so I understand.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I don't want to leave either but I worked so many hours creating my Echinacea site and they are shutting me down. They are hurting a lot of innocent people with their strong-arm tactics.

Plumiedelphia, PA(Zone 7a)

They are fun to shape by twisting the roots and lifting instead of letting it form a caudex.

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I don't know but plants always look uncomfortable to me with twisted roots!

Decatur, GA

NancySLAZ,
Your flowers are beautiful. I am glad I was a bit of an inspiration. Show us more of your flowers and the plants you have.

I had a small U. roeoesliana, just getting a start in the world, when one of the rodents that prowl my deck tipped the pot over and chewed the plant to death!!!! GRRR. I think it is a random act of violence... they are just checking out something new I guess. They certainly aren't thirsty or terribly hungry.
It is either a squirrel or a rat.
I am debating getting another..?? and trying to keep it safe.
Helen

Mine last year

Thumbnail by Malestrom
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thanks Helen, I'm happy you like the flowers. I do have a few more caudiciforms to show but none have flowers. Here is Uncarina grandidieri:

Edited for spelling.

This message was edited May 31, 2010 9:26 AM

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

I have one more: Uncarina peltata. This one is small at only about 4 inches but doing great now in its growing season.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9b)

Malestrom, How is yours doing this year? Is it blooming now? Did you twist the roots or did it come that way?

I shaped it
Each time she started to form a ball I lifted and twisted her.
She is waking up now.
Blooms quite nicely too.
Thank you. ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.