Problem with Escallonia

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

I planted this Escallonia x exoniensis 'Pink Princess a year ago. It suffered what looked like leaf burn last summer. I have another Escallonia about 20 feet away with no problem.

The photo attached was taken today and it's not even Summer yet.

Could it be some other problem other than leaf burn? Last year the leaves were the most brown facing the fence, which would be away from the sun.

Thumbnail by greatswede
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I've seen that in containers when they dry out too much. Maybe it's the soil isn't moisture retentive enough.

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, it's clay soil and irrigated by drip every three days for 30 minutes.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Is there much organic in the clay?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd add plenty of mulch, and increase the irrigation.

Resin

Lincoln, CA(Zone 9b)

When I planted the shrub, I made the hole twice as wide as the root ball, then mixed Scott's planting mix in with the original soil. My drip system has an automatic fertilizer feeder (EZ Flo).

We've had plenty of rain this season as well. It seems to rain a few days every week. My irrigation system has a rain sensor so it doesn't water during wet weather. There are two 2gph emitters on this plant and running for a half hour every three days. That's 2 gallons of water each watering day or over 5 gallons per week.

Our weather has been cool mostly. Right now it feels like winter. The forecast is 1/4 to 1/2 inch of rain today.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Well, it could be that the root ball was too root bound and is completely dry or the soil just isn't working. Build a moat around the plant, fill it with water and see if that improves things.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.