Another new one for my garden has a first bloom

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

'Green Jewel' is a new arrival here and came complete with a bud. Naturally had to let it bloom before I plucked it off. Here is a pic. It is planted next to 'Hope' which I was happy to see return twice as large this spring. Can't wait to see them both bloom at the same time.

Thumbnail by ngam
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm not so sure about this one. I want to like it, but it's just not appealing to me.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

Nice. Love it when plants come with buds. That doesn't happen much to me lately. Can I ask where you bought it from? I like "Green Jewel". Mine was very slow to come around this spring, but has plenty of buds and the first bloom of the season opening. If it returns to the plant it was last year, I'd be quite happy.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I hope mine does as well as yours Jon. I got it from Garden Crossings I believe. I have removed the flower on this one too, now will wait for it to grow and bloom normally. So far all the new echies are doing well so I am hoping for some blooms later in the season.

Hamilton, OH

I had one for the past two years.... but this spring... its a no show. It was a super strong plant too, huge blooms. I will have to find another one to replace it.

I got mine from Garden Crossings also. You pay more money, but you get a more substantial plant. Not a guarantee for success, but it does increase your chances.

(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

I have a plug of this one that is trying to bloom. This is yet another of those plants that try to bloom before they even make a plant that can support the blooms. LOL.

The blooms look like the blooms from a diseased plant to me, but I will give this sucker one chance before I trash it.

I do agree that it is common for "Green Jewel" to try to bloom too early. Any premature bloom on any of the Echinaceas looks a little bit funky.

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I love Green Jewel, but mine didn't return this year. It was just a bitty plug, though, so I don't think that reflects on it's hardiness seeing that I also had large ones that didn't return, LOL. I bought two new ones from McG this year to replace it and they are both putting up a bloom as plugs. I agree with you guys, this one just can't help blooming early. I plucked off the first bloom last year and it just sent up another one. They weren't distorted or anything, though. It just REALLY wants to bloom! Can't knock it for that, can we?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.