Practical Matters For Physically Challanged Gardeners#4

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Thought since we're cleaning house, I'd start this anew too.LOL
Welcome to Accessible gardening. We're a group of dedicated gardeners Who manage to garden with incouragement from each other and with practical hints on how to garden with a little ingenuity.
Newbees are always welcome to chime in.
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

This is the thread for physically phallanged gardeners? ha ha ha ha.

WE'RE COMING FROM HERE:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1077214/

This message was edited May 26, 2010 11:04 AM

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Of course it is!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Darn good thing!

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7a)

Here I be on the right page. I'm really wanting to enjoy all of you now cauze I just don't know if I'm gonna renew in July. I'm so blasted angry with the new owners for how they are treating Dave. I don't want to give them even 1 red cent.
lol sometimes just blowin off the hot steam calms one down.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Sheri what is happening at cubits? I don't go there.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, DON"T LOOK! :-)

Bonnie, here is the pink hollyhock. You can see the "rust" on the leaves. I trimmed off most of the really bad ones.

Debra

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Pretty!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Debra, lovely color. Boy does the foliage have the rust. Do you know what can be done for it?

Mine haven't started blooming yet, but the plants look healthy.

I have heard a bit about the "activities" on cubits. I tried at first to go there, but I found it too hard to navigate, and just don't have time to keep up with 2 sites.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Bonnie, think you'd have to spray a fungicide as they grow. If any rust does start to show, cut off the leaves and destroy them. The fungus can overwinter and spread easily. If they've never been grown in or near my yard, don't know how it got so bad so fast, but the flowers are pretty and we'll see if they come back next year.

Debra

I grew them last year and didn't have any problem. I will watch closely this year to see if they have it.

Midland City, AL

I planted some single pinks and double magenta. Are hollyhocks difficult this far south? (Jim)

Last year was the first time I had had them, so I really don't know.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

I googled hollyhocks. Said they grow in Z 3-10. Don't you have Black walnut trees? Also said they will grow well under black walnut trees.
It did'nt say they'ed grow in containers.Shucks!!!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, I had always heard they were difficult, but tried them anyway. No good the first year (last year), you've seen what they did this year. They might need to be staked. Rust seems to be the biggest problem regardless of where they grow. Think come July mine they will be crispy because I don't water that area, so will be interesting to see if they come back next year. This is the most practical and concise information I found on the rust:

Rust is extremely difficult to control. The most effective means is to identify the fungus early and remove affected leaves, including fallen leaf debris. The leaves should be placed in a sealed bag for disposal or burnt. Never place infected debris in the compost bin.
Rust can also be controlled with sulphur, and homemade sprays made from Chamomile, or a blend of Chive, Horseradish, Elder and Casuarina leaves.

Debra

(Debra) Garland, TX

Forecast is 95 and better than 60% humidity for the entire weekend. Almost 10 degrees above normal for this time of year, and much higher humidity. Guess I'd should get out really early in the morning if I want to get those Bluestones in. :-) Might try the frozen towel trick this time.

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Go for it Debra!
I'm going out and make a campfire in my dogpen tonight.
Vickie

(Debra) Garland, TX

Bonnie, hows the walking? And is the pool all up and ready for splashing after you get those walks in?

Vickie, was the campfire fun? Still not feeling great today, and may have to go in to work later, so those plants may all just go in containers for awhile since I can slap 'em in pretty quick then get back inside. l:-)

Debra

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My PCA didn't see why she should plant everything twice; once in a container so it can grow and once in the ground when I figure out what's going on. This is my beloved PCA, whose only other flaw is that she waters EVERYTHING thoroughly, the weeds, the plants,the stuff that should be kept dry, everything!

(Debra) Garland, TX

Tell her its like Plant Daycare first, then they can graduate to Elementary School? :-)

Uh oh...

Debra thanks for asking about me. I am gradually increasing the walking distance. Now to the practiced eye, the distance is barely discernable, maybe 10 steps or so a day. But I am calling it progress.

The pool needs one more vacuuming, and then it is all set for the summer. I have already been in it, doing the vacuuming and brushing, but after I vacuum in the morning, it is serious play time. I do enjoy it when I am out working in the gardens, get hot, and get in to cool off. When I dress in the mornings in the summer time, I put on a swim suit and then shorts and a top over it, and with a few swift movements, I am ready for the pool.

Wish all of you were close enough to come share it with me.

LOL about the watering. Well, guess the philosophy is just in case it needs it! I guess it is just a matter of the humanness whether to drown or die of thirst.

I am a volunteer at our little cemetery here in the community, and I was there all afternoon today. We had a service, and I am always so disappointed, as there were only 14 people who came, plus my dog. It was hot without a breeze, and not a very comfortable day, but it isn't about the weather, it is about remembering our loved ones who have passed, and to pay homage to the many service people who fought and died for our freedoms.

I think the younger generation thinks that Memorial Day is an extra day off work, and a family picnic. I liked it better when it was called Decoration day, and it almost behooved people to at least add some flowers. That is another example of government intervening in our business. I guess calling it Memorial Day is more politically correct.

Well, best not get on that soapbox, because, one I think I would need help getting down, and Adm, probably wouldn't appreciate the comments.

Good night folks.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Haven't you heard pretty soon there will be 9/11 sales, 48 hours only, stores open at 6am and stay open late? Decoration Day is a prettier name but makes me think of Christmas decorations, but I don't remember when it was ever called that, it's just one of those things you know. I think it has less to do with what you call it and more to do with how you observe it.

I think the designation "Decoration Day" was more of a southern thing. I remember as a very small child, my DM and a DA would cut flowers from their gardens and take to the cemetery, where there was a ceremony, and always a 21 gun salute. There were no "plastic flowers" and those who observed the day, gave from the bounty of their home grown flowers, to place on the graves of their loved ones.

(Debra) Garland, TX

A pool is wonderful in the afternoons, isn't it? I used to house sit for a friend when she and her husband went out of town. They had a nice long rectangular lap pool. Only five foot at its deepest point. Shaded in the afternoon. Ahhh...

Debra, we have an above ground pool which we bought 5 years ago. Our DGD spends the summer with us, and she has friends here, but I found myself being a taxi service for her and her friends. I thought if we installed a pool, she could invite her friends here, and I would know where she was and what she was doing, and I would spend less time on the road. That happened, but I enjoy the pool as much or more than she does!!

Last summer she had her first boy/girl pool party one Saturday afternoon, and I was requested to stay inside. Hehe, they forgot that I have windows where I can still see the pool. They were all well behaved young people, and I will probably be relagated to the house several times over this summer!!

Ozone, AR(Zone 6a)

Carrie, Surely you are kidding about 911 sales. That is discusting beyond discust.
I have'nt picketed in decades but that might get me back on the picket line.
Here in the forest,no nearby pools but plenty of wading creeks. Does that count. Actually there is a pool at a Babtist camp nearby that anyone could use but i never have.
I injoyed my camping (in my backyard) No TV, did'nt answer phone. Just me and my animals. Tuesday i'm buying a tent and going camping somewhere. The camper is just too much trouble for me.I can pack all i need in my car,including 2 dogs and a cat. Al and i camped all over with the bare nessessities and did fine. But count on it i'll be checking in.
My house is filled with boxes and boxes as i pack in between campouts.
My angel must have been with me when i decided to dig up my daylillys and put them in pots.
I try to put new flowers on graves twice a year.November and May. We do have decoration day but have'nt gone. Also contribute to fund at the same time.
Amazing how teenagers can forget about windows. LOL
Vickie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Yes, Vickie, I was kidding, but if the day to honor those who have died in service to their country is a day for BBQs and sales, and a day to honor Presidents Washington and Lincoln is for car sales, it can't be far behind.

In my experience, the thing teenagers forget the most is that if you don't shut down your email, your last message is right there to be read. Both our kids got busted that way, accidentally on purpose, at 14-15-16 y.o. I think they secretly wanted us to know what they were up to, though.

Midland City, AL

Memorial Day is always a day with a lot of emotional ups and downs for Kay and I. Kay lays out a table with photos and a few symbolic personal effects that belonged to her “Papa Ron”, who served in both Korea and Vietnam. She keeps a candle burning all day in his memory. He must have had a major impact on the men who served under him in Vietnam because, after all these years, at least two of those men still call Kay on Memorial Day to catch up and reminisce for awhile. By Vietnam standards, he was an old soldier and many of the men who served under him credit their physical and psychological survival to remembering his “rhyming rules”. “Rule #1 is just, Survive! Don’t nothing else matter, if you ain’t alive.” and so on. Ronald Campbell survived Vietnam itself, but died of cancer that was almost certainly caused by heavy exposure to Agent Orange, the herbicide used in Operation Ranch Hand to defoliate the jungle and kill crops. For this reason, in the minds of those who knew him, he was lost to the war in Vietnam.
Here is something you might want to keep in mind, Bonnie, when it feels like the hard work you do holds little meaning for most people. The reason Kay just burns candles in Ron’s memory is because his remains are actually interred in the graveyard near his childhood home in Kentucky. We certainly hope there was a ceremony in that graveyard and that someone there cares enough to look after his grave. I know Kay would appreciate knowing that someone saw the reference to his military service on his gravestone and thought to lay a flower there today.
We were planning to take a page out of your book, Vickie, and have a campfire tonight, but it has rained cats and dogs all day. (I’ve lived with Kay so long I’m picking up her mental habits. I am wondering how we came to have a phrase like “raining cats and dogs.” Lol.
Carrie, give your DH an extra hug. I can’t help but think of comrades who didn’t make it today. I doubt I’m the only old soldier who goes thru that on Memorial Day. You and Bonnie are right, I guess. This was never meant to be the fun and happy-happy day it has morphed into and that’s okay.
Debra, are your temps and humidity dropping back down to what is normal for your area? I'm assuming mid-90's isn't normal for there this early in the year. (Jim)

(Debra) Garland, TX

Bonnie, I haven't mastered the letter system here yet, but if DGD means granddaughter, then Go, Gramma go!! :-) (Sounds like she's a great kid...)

Vickie, remember to rest and breathe in between. (hug)

Carrie, my teenage years are foggy, so I don't remember too well being that age, and I don't seem to relate well to kids older than about 12 (what does that say about MY developmental level LOL). After watching my sister cope with her kids and grandkids, I have infinite respect for parents who survive the adolescence of their children...

Debra

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you, Jim! He thinks if anything, people should hug, thank, remember him on VETERAN'S DAY, not Memorial Day,which strictly speaking, is for people who died in a war, not your cat or your aunt or your favorite teacher or even (according to DH) a dead veteran. Like if DH or Jim died, we could honor them on Veteran's Day but technically not Memorial Day b/c they didn't die in combat. I guess it's ok to honor dead soldiers today but not all dead people everywhere - then it loses all meaning. But you should argue this point with DH,not with me.

(Debra) Garland, TX

Jim, we cross posted. My dad was a Korean war era serviceman (1952-1956). Was in fighter pilot training at enlistment, but something happened he would never talk about and he finished in communications. My uncle was serving at the same time, and was stationed on the same base for awhile. He says he KNOWS Dad finished training and was flying, but Dad would never explain to him, either. My sister and I got a copy of his service paperwork, but it wasn't too helpful in clearing up the mystery. His ashes were scattered in the Four Corners area (my uncle and his wife live on the reservation in Shiprock). We've always thought that whatever did happen changed him and we remember him on this day every year.

My sister's first husband is a Vietnam vet and was also exposed to Agent Orange. While he is okay so far, the doctors think that exposure might have caused some of the medical issues with his kids (especially his and my sister's son and daughter).

Sacrifices made by those serving in the military may not always be visible, but they are always profound and always have a ripple affect on those around them. Thank you to Kay's Papa Ron and Carrie's husband and you for the willingness to endure those sacrifices for the rest of us.

Debra

Jim, I think the term "raining cats and dogs" came about in England, when houses had thatched roofs. That is all I can remember, something to do with the weight of the cats on the roof weakened by the rain, and they would fall through. I don't know if the houses were a bit underground and the dogs would also get up there. But it had something to do with the thatched roofs. Now, I was a lot of help on that. I will have to look it up, and give you the full story. I knew it once upon a time.

Debra, the lingo here is not hard, when you see DH or DW, it is Dear Husband or Dear wife (except in cases where the poster may be a bit miffed at the spouse at the time of posting)!! So my DGD is Dear Grand Daughter. She is a dear child, or teen. She is wise beyond her years, and always has been. She is a level headed girl, and is a a push over for any animal. She has been in the gifted classes at school since since she was in the 3rd grade.

We did fly the flag today, and did nothing special. Our celebration was yesterday at the cemetery.

Jim, where in Ky is Kay's Papa Ron's remains? I may know somebody in that area, and could relay a request to take care of the grave. I would be happy to do that for someone's relative who couldn't visit the cemetery here.

I am still trying to get everybody's real name and screen name reconciled in my mind. So just bear with me, and one day, I can address you by your given name, as it somehow seems more personal to me.

SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL(Zone 8b)

Oh, Bonnie. That is so thoughtful of you! He was a native of Franklin County.
He is buried in the Frankfort Cemetery. I think it is a large cemetery and probably has a caretaker. But, it would be a comfort to know his grave was well-tended. He was my uncle, but my father died when I was 12 and my mother never re-married. He sort of took over the role of father. I was out on a supply boat when his death occurred. They funeral had taken place by the time I made it to port. I’ve never even seen his grave site. I’ve never been able to justify the expense of a trip to Frankfort just to visit a grave.
He came back from his tour in Vietnam with tumors on his legs, but he fought the progress of the cancer tooth and nail for over a decade. I knew when he told me he was going home his time was near. He loved KY and always said he would go back there to spend his last days. We said our good-bys then, but it would be comforting to know his final resting place is being well tended. Not sure why that is so, but it is.
Traveling again today. It is a 4 or 5 hour trip to my grandchildren’s house. We are more like our DGC’s moving service because we have a truck. LOL. The shovel and garden shears are packed for any plant “rescue” that is necessary. Lol. I took cuttings of a wild hydrangea and a wild rose from Friday’s trip. Unlike the hydrangea in my garden the wild one had a significant fragrance. The Texas Rose Rustlers would be proud of me. (Do you know if they are still around, Debra?) Kay*

Kay, I live in a county adjucent to Franklin, and know the Frankfort cemetery well. It is only about 40 miles there, and when I have some "free time" I will stop by and have the caretakers point me in the direction of that grave. However, I will need full name, etc. I don't think you need to fret, it is a well manicured cemetery, and a paid staff that takes care of it. I might even send a photo, to add to your table of mementos. Jim can tell you all about the picture. Isn't it good to have a "talking" person to describe?

My tummy is a bit out of whack this morning. Can't understand what I ate yesterday that is bothering it, but nevertheless, I will have to deal with that this morning.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Another forum I visit has a "sticky" with everyone's screen names = real names on it. We could do that if we wanted.

Carrie, don't do that for me alone. It might help for awhile when anyone posts if you would sign your real name, and then, I can reconcile the two. I AM a fast learner!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No, BONNIE, it's a good idea. I am no longer a fast learner and get mixed up a lot, and the people on this forum are the ones most likely to be in fibrofog or MSmuddle or medication mixup or general sub-par memory. I'll start a new thread - only I will be able to edit it, but everyone can add his/hre name as willing and I will add it to the top. First I have to go take my afternoon pills! Later, gator.

Well, thanks for that Carrie.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

OK, it's up there. I can add you.

Oh, I don't know where to look. Should it be at the top of this page?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.