Look at this baby

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Ever seen one so white? I haven't. It must be very young....can barely walk yet. I was able to reach down and pet him before he got too nervous so I left him alone.

Thumbnail by hczone6
Loudonville , OH(Zone 5b)

What a beautiful baby! We used to put out food for the deer in our back yard and one year we had a pair of twin fawns where one, the little doe, was a pied and her brother was normal colored. We watched her grow up and they would come quite close to the house. On the second day of hunting season, she disappeared. She wasn't even 6 months old and was still very small. A friend of a friend was talking to a man that said he had shot a white deer in our area that had a brown face. The man he was telling this to knew about our deer. He asked this guy "Why did you shoot that deer? It wasn't even full grown." The monster answered "Because it was different." We miss her.

Thumbnail by slvrwilo
Waterloo, IA

I just moved to Iowa last summer and I saw my first fully albino deer here! She was just grazing in a field near the road. I didn't have my camera though :( Suprised because the area of Michigan I'm from had lots more deer than here and I never saw an albino before...

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

They do not seem to survive long being more susceptible to predators, whether they be 2 legged or 4 legged.

Oxford, MS(Zone 7a)

This is called "piebald", it is rare. Like nanny_56 said the ones that are..I'll use.... "cursed" with this "piebald" pigmentation or lack of pigment are usually very easy prey for predators, whether it be animals or human, due to their inability to "camouflage" themselves or blend in to their environment, the odds are stacked against them, so to speak.
In deer herd management situations, this type of animal would be taken out of the herd so as not to promote futher influence of the "piebald" gene because of the disadvantage it causes for the animal for its survival.
It seems to our minds...that nature is cruel at times but it is not about what pleases us or the eye..in the end it all comes down to the food chain and survival. We must keep this in mind as we see this type of situation.

Beautiful fawn and image!! Love it.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I did forget to mention that it is beautiful...glad you got to see it and share the photo with us.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.