A Southern Cottage Garden

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

I am just beginning, but my sister's garden has been my inspiration. She and her husband have gardened for many years but only on this one for the past 10 years or so. Their 1930s era home is on three acres about 40 miles south of Atlanta. I think it is the epitome of a country cottage garden. Some photos are from 2009 when their garden was featured on their local county garden tour. I'd like to share it with you. Hope you enjoy it.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

This was one of the first heralds of spring this year, just outside the sunroom window. A Yellow Rose of Texas, I believe the botanical name is kerria japonica. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Another early spring arrival ... daffodils and "thrift."

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

And one of the earliest signs of spring around here, dogwood trees starting to blossom.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Pansies in an old concrete planter decorate the porch.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

More pansies greet you at the back door.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

There is a lot of whimsy in this garden. Many old birdhouses, rusty things, and, of course, a bottle tree.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Purple irises ... a must in the cottage garden.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Veronica surrounds an old rusty chair.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Unnamed Austin rose behind the angel in the bird bath. The pillar on which the birdbath sits was part of a foundation pillar from a house across the street which was torn down recently. It's the perfect touch.

This message was edited May 25, 2010 11:38 AM

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Another old birdhouse and rusty chair.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

And another

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Ocean Springs, MS

Judy, I love the photos. Such an inspiration. Gonna keep these for later reference.
love, julie

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

A white clematis (name unknown) scrambles over an old iron headboard.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you, froggies_girl. Have several more. Going to her garden is like thumbing through a magazine. Here's a closeup of the clematis ...

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Gazing ball, birdhouse and Austin rose from the other side. The "bones" of the garden are made up of mostly boxwoods. This was the very first area completed about five years ago.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Yellow ...something. (odd looking little thing, huh?) Iris? Daylily? Whatever. (Told you I was a beginner :-)

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Knockout rose about five years old, left to its own devices. Watered and fed, never pruned.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

More knockouts in front of a dogwood tree.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

This pond was discovered after they moved in. The original owners had filled it in with dirt. A lot of work later, this is what emerged.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

A drift of self-seeded rose campion. They're all over the place and beautiful.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Roses lead the way to the veggie garden (yet to be planted in this photo. It was taken in April.)

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Unnamed Austin rose. I don't know if she doesn't know the name or what, but she didn't tell me. I'm sure her youngest son planted this one. He loves Austin roses.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Mr. Lincoln rose. A favorite of my family.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Another unnamed rose covers the arbor.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

The front porch frames the garden seen through the far end. We sit here, sip our tea, and wave as the cars go by (old southern custom).

I'll stop here for now but have a few more. Hope you're enjoying the visit to Georgia! :-)

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Wow and double WOW! Thank you for the lovely tour. You've got me thinking about how to include more "objects" in my garden! I won't pass up the next rusty ornate iron chair I see... :-)

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks so much, Critter. She does have an inside edge. She and several other ladies own and operate two antique stores so they have access to many opportunities to see people's rusty "junk." Kay also picks up pieces of old iron fences to use scattered throughout the garden. She does seem to have the "touch" to put the right piece in just the right place. She and her husband did all this themselves. Here's one fence piece that fits right into the bed.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

A little wrought iron bistro set under the arbor.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

So beautiful. I especially love all the Austin roses and the pond, and all the garden art. Just lovely.

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

They were still working on this part of the garden last year but I love the stacked rocks curving around the shrubs.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Rocks! I love rocks. I've lined a couple of beds with them (not as impressively as this border!), and I'd love to do more of the same. :-)

Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Thank you, pgt. Here's some more rusty stuff. Foxgloves and a piece of an iron fence.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Y'all can see why I'm so inspired by all this. I will post my humble efforts as they take place. And mine won't be on such a grand scale because I have no one but myself to do it. But I seem to learn a little more from her every year. Put that with all the helpful folks at DG, and I should at least be able to come up with something decent.

Here's more of Kay and Bobby's garden. Iris growing in a water garden ...

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Here's the arbor Bobby built. I think that's Confederate Jasmine (jessamine?) and some kind of climbing rose covering it.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Sweet potato vine and million bells spill over an old rusty Coke machine.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Million bells in an old galvanized tub. I think this was the third year they had come back. They didn't return this year but we had a horrendous winter.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Looking toward the back door (which is actually on the side of the house).

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

Seating area with fire pit near the "barn." It is huge and is where Bobby putters and Kay stores some of her antiques which are awaiting repairs, etc. It's also a garage.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA
Newnan, GA(Zone 7b)

And this, of course, is the most whimsical thing of all ... Mr. Green Hair.

Thumbnail by JudyinGA

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.