New releases from TNN

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

What's everyones thought on the newest releases from TNN for Late this Season/Spring 2011.
They are Amazing Dream, Cranberry Cupcake, Daydream, Mamamia, Secret Desire, Secret Lust, Secret Passion, Secret Romance.
If you can't find em email me I'll send you the file. McGPer1@aol.com

Chattanooga, TN(Zone 7b)

Cranberry cupcake, amazing dream and secret passion are looking good here for me in pints and quarts.

i am partial to secret desire - love the colors there.

Thumbnail by GreenThumbsTN
(Clint) Medina, TN(Zone 7b)

To me that one looks very similar to Coral Reef. What's supposed to be different about it? I've been very disappointed in several of Terra Nova's new introductions, especially "Mac 'n Cheese" and "Pink Poodle." They are still using the marketing photos of "Pink Poodle" with the double blooms and not the double-decker style blooms when most of them look nothing like the photos. I'm having a difficult time justifying spending money on Terra Nova plants when they seem to keep disappointing in the garden. I think I prefer Arie Bloom's plants from Plants Nouveau. I haven't had one plant from them that was a dud yet. "Maui Sunshine" looks to be another problem plant for many people. I can't tell you how many "Firebird", "Maui Sunshine" and "Mac 'n Cheese" plants I have seen at great nurseries recently that are just sitting there at 3-4 inches tall and will not grow. While the "Hot Papaya" are full, gallon-sized plants already. I don't know what the problem is with Terra Nova's Echinaceas, but they appear to be stunted and weak.

(Carisa) Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

They all look like existing varieties that are already out there. Cranberry cupcake seems to be the only one that looks original. Not that I'm complaining, I like a bit of repeat with different growers. That way, if a color/shape that I really like ends up not being a good grower, maybe the other one introduced from the other grower will be. Don't want all our eggs in the same basket, now do we? :) I think my fav is the secret lust and cranberry cupcake being a close second. Secret Lust? Seriously? Did they run out of ideas for names or something? I can see the garden tour with my pastor now... "What's that one?" "Oh, it's called Secret Lust." I can assure you it will have a nickname in my garden in no time, LOL.

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

Oh dear more new ones. I am looking for spots for 'Summer Cocktail' when it comes out and 'Milkshake'. Those two I really would like to try. Finding room for more may be difficult without the death of more grass.

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I like them all, but really really really really really really would like to try "Strawberry Shortcake". That one looks like no other.

I want that one too, Jon. I think I want it more than any new Echinacea I've ever seen.

I like the double orange one, but is it an anual like "Tiki Torch" is here?

LOL. "Who you callin an annual??" My teeny tiny perennial "Tiki Torch" is offended!!!

Jon - I had one that came back out of 5 plants. I might try it again later, but I think it's not worth the trouble considering the blooms are small and the plants aren't that reliable. The blooms also seem kind of uneven and not symmetrical like the photos that Terra Nova used to sell them. I'd love to buy one like the photo on Terra Nova's site if that plant really exists in reality.

This message was edited May 25, 2010 11:11 AM

Southeast, MA(Zone 6b)

I have one 'Tiki Torch' echinacea plant. It will be in it's third full season this summer and is looking healthy and has many buds now. Usually blooms in July here. The blooms seem normal size and very pretty. I did start with a larger plant with deep roots. Last year we had a dreadful spring and early summer with weeks on end of rain and cloudy days and millions of slugs. It seemed to do well even with less than great conditions. My biggest worry is keeping the ground hog off it in early spring. Here is a pic from last year. I do not have clay soil and the ph is on the acidic side of the scale. Perhaps this is one that likes the northern zones.

Thumbnail by ngam

I think you're right. It does seem like they do better the farther north you are.

I bought a large Tiki Torch locally last year. I put it in a great location with such perfect soil conditions, etc. It didn't return despite all the effort. The local nursery didn't carry it this year so maybe she knows better this year.

I've only had one Tiki Torch and this is year three for the plant. It's blooming much more this year but the plant has remained small in size.

(Warren)Lisbon Falls, ME(Zone 5a)

Hey there, I know a place you can try out Daydream, Mama Mia and Secret Passion for those that want it in plug form....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.