Bloom signs

Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

I've read a lot about the iris "swell" as they begin to put out bloom stalks, but I haven't seen anyone else mention any change in leaves. Do the center/new leaves start to twist or curl as the plant is about to put out a bloom stalk, or is it just me? That's what I'm seeing right now in some, and I'm hoping that it means they are about to bloom.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

There was a discussion of some strange twisting and rippling of new leaves on a prior thread but it had nothing to do with bloom stalks. Just before a stalk emerges from the center of a fan you should see a swelling or thickening of about 2 or 3 times the normal thickness of the base of the leaf. The stalk will begin to break out within a couple of days if the weather is warm. I had some closeup pics of emerging stalks but cannot find them.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

This pic shows some of the leaf deformation some of the members had this spring. Probably weather related.

Thumbnail by Oldgardenrose
Colorado Springs, CO(Zone 6a)

Oh no, my leaves are nothing like that. It seems like vertically they seem to slightly twist, like toward the sky. I'll try to get a picture this week sometime. I have already had some of my intermediates and dwarfs bloom - and had noticed it on them too. So no one is sick...hopefully! Nor do they look like anything is wrong. It is just a really slight curve in the inner leaf.

This message was edited May 25, 2010 3:48 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.